251-Mig 19PM Farmer -A Mig with missiles***FINISHED***

PeterB

Although not too bad for a first attempt, I have noticed that perhaps due to poor lighting conditions I need to respray the undersides as the coat of Aluminium was a bit too thin. As a result this will be a little delayed.

Pete

Ok, resprayed so back to giving it time to harden. There is a Flory Models video review of the AK Interactive Xtreme Metals paints on You Tube, and as he says it goes on well and is quite forgiving - I overdid it a bit and slightly flooded it in a couple of places and it still settled down pretty well. It also, as he says, touches up/resprays well which is good. Now I will see how well it handles masking tape, which he was not entirely impressed with, but as I mentioned earlier he was rushing it a bit to my mind.

My only niggle is the cost of the ruddy thinner/cleaner - £5.99 for 100ml. I know a lot of paint manufacturers charge a fair bit for their thinners, and I seem to be using about 50p's worth each time I spray - does anybody use anything else with this paint such as cellulose thinners for example? Can't remember if Dave @Rabbit Leader told me what he used.

Cheers

Pete

As you will have gathered I am not a great fan of natural metal finishes though I admit that they can look brilliant. Some planes have so many different shades of "silver" they look almost like a patchwork quilt, and the Su-9 I am building in the Interceptors GB will be a bit like that, according to various pics I have seen, but allmost all of the pics of Mig-19PM seem to show pretty much an overall single colour - well that's my excuse anyway.

DSC04131-crop

I have painted the nose ring polished aluminium and tarnished the rear by the exhaust but otherwise it is "white aluminium", whilst the AA-1 missiles in the foreground are plain Hu 56 Aluminium with red protective caps I was not sure if the decs would work as elderly Heller ones can be problematic, particularly when they have spent a couple of weeks in the window bleaching away the yellowing, but these were fine. As I mentioned earlier, the box art is based on a photo of "Blue 18" but Heller have provided red decs, so that may be wrong but what the heck!

I have still to paint the top of the nose in grey,  and then I can finish off the undercarriage. Then all that remains if to hang the missiles and tanks under the wing, stick on the radio mast and spray a finishing coat of varnish.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

Apart from a little touching up, the Mig is ready to join the Mirage IV in the queue for a finishing spray of varnish.

DSC04141-crop

The undercarriage geometry is a little unusual on the real thing and this resulted in a rather odd layout to the gear doors, which Heller have only partly understood I suspect. They had the right idea but the excecution is poor resulting in over-thick doors of the wrong shape and with incorrect alignment. Fortunately the drop tanks hide most of the problem so I have not bothered modifying them - in an case I don't have any accurate plans just somewhat vague pics. Given the accuracy problems is has come out quite well.

For the record, if war had broken out in the late 1960's/early 70's this is one of the aircraft that would have tried to stop the French Mirage IVA bomber I am building in parallel in this GB!

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 5

Whilst I am waiting for some decent weather to get the final coat of varnish on, here is a comparison with my ancient KP Mig-19S.

DSC04144-crop

I can't remember if I mentioned this earlier but Western observers got a bit mixed up with the 19S. The original Mig-19 was called by Nato the Farmer A, and when the S was introduced shortly afterwards it should have been the Farmer B, but as the modification to an all moving slab tail was not obvious, they missed it for a while, so when the P came alomg with a longer nose they called it the Farmer B in error. Once they realised they called the S the Farmer C. I think the PF was the Farmer D and the PM became the Farmer E.  To my eye, the lengthening of the nose from the P onwards does improve the look of the plane somewhat.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 5

It looks fantastic. The thing with these group builds is that I see something that I have in the stash done really well by someone else and it nudges its way to the top of the to-do list... and then another one comes along...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As the sun mady a hazy appearance today I took my gallery shots so I am calling this finished.

DSC04182-crop

As I mentioned early there are quite a few accuracy problems, perhaps due to lack of info back when Heller moulded this, and although I have perhaps improved it somewhat, I would imagine some problems still remain. However, it does not look too bad to me, though looking at the pic I should perhaps have put more filler on the nose ring joint. Oh, well, it is finished and was quite enjoyable - at least most of the time. I have deliberately gone for a fairly low gloss varnish to get that sort of dull, lived in look that Soviet jets of the period seem to have had

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 5

• PeterB changed the title to 251-Mig 19PM Farmer -A Mig with missiles***FINISHED***