Westland SikorskyS-51, Mk. 1A, French Air Force, ELA52, TanSonNhut, 1952 Indochina

John Masters

are you sure you're not using an AM cockpit from Aires??? :D  That looks very much like the method required to fit all their AM cockpits.......I know as I've just been doing the same thing!!!

Back at it!  

Oy vey...I mean...all this PE is driving me mad.  I think it is one thing that is keeping the Enthusiasm Scale at mid-range.  In any case, it looks good when finished, I hope!

So I dive in...

50479948468_8e17b6be5d_c_d.jpg

Rear rotor...drilled holes for security.  Teeny little pieces of soft plastic.

50480640761_ce78c35357_c_d.jpg

Assembled with its required piece of PE...

50479926118_2246d6b8dc_c_d.jpg

The main rotor assembly begins with the attachment paint on the fuselage, which doesn't actually fit.  So a piece of plastic card is substituted.  Also, note that the two upper pieces of glass on the fuselage are incorrect, or at least share a large gap.  Probably my mistake.  I'll fix something in there.

50479926738_3d7aa9e70d_c_d.jpg

This little stabilizer wing of resin and PE attaches to the rear.  This means I am building #3 on the profile.  I will drill and use brass rod to secure this properly.

50479926458_f14df73f6f_c_d.jpg

Masking the fishbowl nose...

50480641051_47ed4eaea4_c_d.jpg

50480789347_976b148b5a_c_d.jpg

So...into the rotor assembly I go...

50479926198_96069f92f1_c_d.jpg

And this...

50480640646_e10e9de7bd_c_d.jpg

Letting that cure and moving on to the Oscar...

--John

• Like 4

Hi John,

The pictures I have seen suggest the top glaziing was quite small with rounded corners and rather heavy framing, similar to the side ones. Perhaps you could get away with moving them up a bit, backfilling below them and then inserting a solid frame on the centreline? Mind you I can't tell from your pic if they are both the same size? If not then one might be a short shot.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

20 minutes ago, PeterB said:

moving them up a bit, backfilling below them and then inserting a solid frame on the centreline?

Interesting...and far too much work to do for this!  I have moved beyond it already.  I will insert a piece of card to complete the frame.  They are of different sizes, btw...

• Sad 1

EEEKKK!!! :yikes:

That'd give me nightmares!!!!! and you're doing it in 1/72nd........bonkers!

She'll certainly be a detailed wee beastie.....keep up the great work........there's a nice padded room for you at the end of it! :D

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided to temporarily abandon this build.  It is becoming a pain and a drag and I want to build something else, something without teeny pieces of PE and with clearly defined instructions and pieces that are well-moulded and actually fit together.  Sorry about this.  It goes against my OCD but it is best for my mental health.

--The Management. 😆

• Like 1
  • Sad 1