Luftwaffe RF-4E

I had built an Italeri RF-4 once before, so when one came up boxless & cheap on eBay I thought that I could either use it to convert the nose to a later batch rounded nose US RF-4C in Euro One camo, or keep the chisel nose and go Luftwaffe splinter camo.  Then I built an Alpha Jet in splinter camo & the decision was made.

So here she is.  No aftermarket, but I did rescribe it to remove the raised panel lines, and scratch improved the cockpit area.  The flaps were detached and lowered, making it look more in line with the pricier kits that usually come with separate flaps.

QhWpxmB.jpg

iNmnbLP.jpg

6ix59Mn.jpg

Two RFs for the price of one!

cZZZ0fT.jpg

And without the dio.

vR2GirH.jpg

PhMcGkJ.jpg

wyJfBOp.jpg

hgupHpW.jpg

DHG7BH3.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 33

Cheers @Farmerboy

Cheers @TonyW - I have been collecting the ‘clutter’ that you find around aircraft & hangars for a while.  I could always add more - oil drums & pallets etc, but I do think that the addition of other things makes the model look more real. Also my build isn’t of the highest standard so a little distraction works wonders!

14 minutes ago, WildeSau75 said:

lovely builds - like the scheme. I guess you made show both ailerons pointing downwards - they should point in opposite directions.

Cheers - that’s interesting on the ailerons, thanks for that.  Still got another Phantom waiting to build

Just now, bar side said:

Cheers - that’s interesting on the ailerons, thanks for that.  Still got another Phantom waiting to build

more than welcome mate - the one pointing downwards creates more lift and the one pointing upwards decreases lift and thus makes the aircraft rolling to the respective direction. Good luck with your next build - looking forward to it. Cheees, Michael

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

A very good looking model .

The background is exceptional. It balances with the plane perfectly. Nothing's shouting out at you, everything there for a reason. Terrific work.

Tony.

Very well said and I wholeheartedly agree!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JayBee said:

About the airlerons, check out this picture 😉

Does that make them a flaperon? (I think that is a term) :unsure:

That is a great scheme & nice bit of modelling @bar side, I enjoyed your Alphajet very much too. I do think the later scheme (?) as shown in @JayBee's link is the one that does it for me though, both on the Rf-4Es & Alpha jets.

Steve.

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Does that make them a flaperon? (I think that is a term) :unsure:

That is a great scheme & nice bit of modelling @bar side, I enjoyed your Alphajet very much too. I do think the later scheme (?) as shown in @JayBee's link is the one that does it for me though, both on the Rf-4Es & Alpha jets.

Steve.

Cheers Steve.  Still got a Gina to do & need a Starfighter really to round off the set. Then maybe a Tornado...  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JayBee said:

Really nice build! An interesting detail is the "bavarian" zapped AG 52 badge.

Still trying to learn more about German bases, units and badges really - I presume the zap is the badge on the intake sides?  Seems to be a fixture on most reference photos & was part of the kit decals set, but more than that I don’t know.

32 minutes ago, bar side said:

Still trying to learn more about German bases, units and badges really - I presume the zap is the badge on the intake sides?  Seems to be a fixture on most reference photos & was part of the kit decals set, but more than that I don’t know.

Hmm, in that case it's not a zap: that's an unauthorised badge that's not part of the normal markings, usually applied by a rival unit.  Anything from merely applying their own badge, to significant changes - a well-known example that springs to mind is the "Colonial Navy" Phantom FG1.

Nice models of my favourite type of Phantom, and well presented.

Edited by MikeC

13 hours ago, JayBee said:

Really nice build! An interesting detail is the "bavarian" zapped AG 52 badge.

thanks for pointing this out - never too late to learn something new! I too guess this are then flaperon positions. Check pics of turning Phantoms and you will see the ailerons workimg in opposite directions - but makes this model definitely looking "right". Sorry for the wrong information.

Edited by WildeSau75

Nothing wrong with the information @WildeSau75 absolutely right, just depends I guess on the position & action of the aircraft at the time.  Bit like the Jaguar intake auxiliary  doors.  Only right to have the. open when taxiing & take off.  Closed usually when stationary and in flight but moulded open on the Airfix kit.

2 hours ago, bar side said:

Nothing wrong with the information @WildeSau75 absolutely right, just depends I guess on the position & action of the aircraft at the time.  Bit like the Jaguar intake auxiliary  doors.  Only right to have the. open when taxiing & take off.  Closed usually when stationary and in flight but moulded open on the Airfix kit.

I agree - depends on the actual state of the aircraft. Usually closed when stationary was what I thought too. Cheers, Michael

12 hours ago, MikeC said:

Hmm, in that case it's not a zap: that's an unauthorised badge that's not part of the normal markings, usually applied by a rival unit.  Anything from merely applying their own badge, to significant changes - a well-known example that springs to mind is the "Colonial Navy" Phantom FG1.

My definition of "zap" is a paintjob from other squadron members during competitions like TAM, NTM and similar. Or, as you say, by a rival unit (AG 51). Often can be seen back in the 80´s.

The badge of AG 52 normaly didnt have the Bavarian flag painted on, because AG 52 was based near the Danish border in northern Germany (Leck)

My guess is it was applied during a competion. Maybe by members of JaboG 32 or JaboG34 (both had their homebases in Bavaria back in the days, both units are sadly history.

I have other similar "zap" pictures on my PC:  The AG 52 panther is eating the AG 51 owl. Or the AG 51 owl pull out the teeth of the AG 52 panther. :)

HERE is another good example of a nice zap (JaboG 36 at TAM 1978) :D

• Like 2

Yes, they are pretty good.  I suspect the main body numbers are a bit large / thickly lines, and the instruction as to how to put them on are not great.  But they are not bad for a set probably put together nearly 40 years ago.

On 9/28/2020 at 12:09 PM, WildeSau75 said:

lovely builds - like the scheme. I guess you made show both ailerons pointing downwards - they should point in opposite directions.

Your relaxed aileron positions are good for an unpowered F-4. As hydraulic pressure bleeds off, the ailerons “droop” on both sides. Over a longer period of time the flaps, the inboard panels, may droop too. They don’t necessarily all match, but usually they’re close. 

When powered, the ailerons and flaps are driven to the neutral position. When the stick is moved to the side, say to the left, the right aileron will go down, the left aileron goes up only a couple of degrees, and the left spoilers, the trapezoidal panel just ahead of the aileron, go up. Actually the spoilers are split into two sections. Down aileron on the right increases lift on the right wing, spoilers up on the left decrease lift on the left wing, you roll left.  Unless you’re at a very high angle of attack and then you get into a different aerodynamic issue, adverse yaw. That’s a different discussion. 

Love your tab-vee diorama.  Where did you find that?  If scratch built it is outstanding. I want one for my Spangdahlem jets. 

Edited by Mark V
  • Like 1