27 Republic F-84 G Thunderjet

Paul821

This GB has not yet started and already on three pages! I feel like I have come late to the party.

This is a kits that I purchased at the Bury St Edmunds modellers open day last year planning for this GB as it will fill a hole in my collection of RAF Wethersfield Aircraft. Decals are on order and pictures  will follow.

• Like 9

Great little kit, the original catalogue number when it was released in 1978 was 207, if you could change your title we'd be grateful  - it makes it easier for the keep of the spreadsheet as we're using the original catalogue numbers.

I'm glad you've managed to hold off making the kit till now, it will look great in USAFE colours.

Welcome and good luck.

Yet another kit that I fancy purchasing, especially in the new box which comes with a cracking decal sheet. Great to have you along Paul, I’m sure you’ll enjoy both this kit and all the fun likely to be on here. 
Cheers.. Dave

Had an excellent experience of e-bay. I searched for "F84G Wethersfield decals" generally on the internet and came across a set by ModelDecal. Went onto e-bay and found a set at £.4.99 including postage from a company called MasterCasters who are located just down the road from a certain retailer in Lowestoft. The decals arrived first-class post the next day. I would guess the decals are fairly dated so I hope the quality is OK.

The box and decals - sprue shot to follow when GB actually starts

DSC04145_resize

DSC04146_resize

If anyone is building a Puma or Jaguar as part of this GB and would like the decals off this sheet please PM me - happy to send them free.

• Like 9

Sprue shot

DSC04560

As this was second hand and in an open box I was relieved that all the parts were present

I am not a great user of aftermarket cockpits, as in most cases you spend time and money on something that cannot be seen with the canopy closed but just to check:

DSC04561

DSC04562

There seems to be enough framing on the canopy to hide most of the cockpit so I will proceed mainly OOB.

There does seem to be a scarcity of cockpit views of the G model of the F84 on the internet indeed one thing that comes up in searches is people asking for said views!

• Like 6

I can't remember what colour the kit or Modeldecal tell you to paint the cockpit but these aircraft were painted with an interior green cockpit and seat, the consoles and instrument panel were black, seat headrest is a dark red.

The cockpit on these were typical of the time - cluttered.

23 minutes ago, Wez said:

I can't remember what colour the kit or Modeldecal tell you to paint the cockpit

@ wez thanks for that as some of the references say grey while Heller say black.

I'd go black for the instrumentation panels and consoles and interior green for the sides/floor/seat based on what is in Detail & Scale vol. 59. 

I've sent you a PM. 😀

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

I'd go black for the instrumentation panels and consoles and interior green for the sides/floor/seat based on what is in Detail & Scale vol. 59. 

I've sent you a PM. 😀

That's where I've seen it!  Thanks for the reminder.

An update to this build is ready but it seems Flickr is down this evening so the main update will have to wait.

But need to thank @Jinxman for the details.  These have been very useful.

• Like 1

I may be able to help on the cockpit colors.

I have photographed 14 different examples of the F-84 family -- four different Thunderjets; seven Thunderstreaks (including the YRF-84 FICON); and two Thunderflash recon versions.

I don't have a good interior shot of a Thunderjet like you are building, but but I would think the cockpit would not have changed significantly in the Thunderstreak (swept-wing version) especially as the G was basically a modified continuation of the E ordered while the F was being readied for production.

I did get a chance to climb up on the F-84F at the Evergreen Museum and shoot the cockpit (Bear in mind that this is a museum display so I can't vouch for the accuracy of their restoration efforts)

F-84F 0-19522

Evergreen Aviation Museum

F-84F-Thunderstreak-Evergreen-2015-11-22

-

-

-

F-84F-Thunderstreak-Evergreen-2018-07-01

-

F-84F-Thunderstreak-Evergreen-2018-07-01

-

Like I said, I have had the opportunity to photograph many examples from the F-84 family, so here are a few things that would probably apply to your build even if not from a G-model Thunderjet.

F-84E Thunderjet 50-1143

NMoUSAF 

Lights on front of wingtip pod

F-84E-Thunderjet-NMoUSAF-2018-05-17-0746

-

F-84E-Thunderjet-NMoUSAF-2018-05-17-0747

Airbrake on belly line (compared to side brake on F-84 at Palm Springs below)

F-84E-Thunderjet-NMoUSAF-2018-05-17-0741

F-84F Thunderstreak 51-9531 “Thunder Struck”

Palm Springs Air Museum

F-84F-Thunderstreak-Palm-Springs-2018-04

-

Side airbrake

F-84F-Thunderstreak-Palm-Springs-2018-04

I'll stop there before I get carried away. Look forward to watching your project.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Flickr is now back up

DSC04666

The paint splodges on he interior of the fuselage are because I tend to use unseen parts of kits as palettes for acrylic paint I just find the paint seems to take better it you leave it for a little while, The filler is because modeldecals say that the auxiliary intakes should be filled level on this particular build. More about that in the next update as things have moved on since I took the photo'

Lastly the obscured  square is for copyright reasons, To add a little detail to the cockpit I downloaded a copy of the detail sheet from an aftermarket supplier and will use this as a reference to make details to the cockpit to make it less uniform in colour. 

• Like 5

The cockpit tub is now as detailed as I feel it needs to be

DSC04669

and has now disappeared into the fuselage

DSC04671

Interesting thing is that all the panel lines are in alignment as you can see but the edges of the cockpit do not line up. Should be a simple thing to correct.

• Like 9

This is starting to develop into a great WIP. Always great when additional reference material is added into the mix to aid the progress. You’re doing a great job Paul, well done. 
Cheers. Dave 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, John Masters said:

Nice going!  Keep at it!

I promise that it was not the above comment that has bounced me back to this build. It's just that my modelling energies have been directed elsewhere for the past few weeks. This is now firmly back on my workbench as of today.

Just prove I have been modelling

DSC04722 DSC04719 DSC04779

Work on these continues as does the F84G and others

• Like 1

Now looking like an aircraft

DSC04782

Now a question about painting. The aircraft will finished as a 20th Fighter  Bomber aircraft at Wethersfield, I am brush painting using Ammo Mig metallic colours.

Most instructions for this type of aircraft just say use Humbrol 11 or similar (Silver) but the images of F-85G's on the internet show them as being a duller colour, more like the paint finish above. At the end of the day it does not matter that much but I might as well get it correct.

Any views?

• Like 4

I went for the silver finish in the end, to get some contrast with the actual parts where it should be unfinished metal.

DSC04783

I am happy with the model as it is, so this evening comes the moment of truth with applying the decals. I will test them out first by using one of the alternative F84 decals elsewhere.

• Like 5

I suffered a slight setback..

DSC04788

I successfully applied many of the decals but has a problem with the wing tip tank flashes, so I decided to use Humbrol DecalFix to see if this would help. Very bad idea! The area to which the DecalFix was applied disintegrated into very small pieces.

I also did not scan the decals before use so I don't have a backup to reprint. It looks like a hand painting job.

• Like 1

Been a very slow build but at last it is finished.

DSC04798

and now in gallery.

That's me finished with GB's for 2020 as this year I will not be entering the Christmas Blitzbuild as I wan to concentrate on other modelling projects.

• Like 2