Back to the beginning...Ki-43IIIa, GC II/7, Armeé de l'Air (ex-64 Sentai), December 1945...

John Masters

Here's another one... @Modelraynz is building the other French aircraft so I figured I'd tackle this one!  

Decals from Printscale...

50394762177_4efbee54f8_c_d.jpg

The kit...

50394762352_8f45d5c929_c_d.jpg

Sprue and the bag of resin and PE bits, instructions...a first glance tells me there are persnickety bits with which to take care!

50394592026_6b618d138a_c_d.jpg

• Like 6

Hello

It is really a good choice John.

I know the subject as I built a Special Hobby Ki-43 with the same Print Scale decal sheet in 2017. Pay attention with those decals which are very thin.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235027128-172-special-hobby-nakajima-ki-43-iii-french-air-force-in-indochina/

Patrick

11 minutes ago, VG 33 said:

I know the subject as I built a Special Hobby Ki-43

Thanks Patrick.  Forewarned is forearmed.  I've had print scale decals fold up on me before...maddening...!

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

A great choice John.

I'm glad that there are a couple of aircraft representing the very early days of the French return to Indochina, a really interesting phase.

I'm surprised that nobody has slipped in an RAF Spitfire from the time they were stationed in Indochina at this time.

Thanks Craig...I like the Spitfire hint...😉

• Like 1

....and #4 is also an awesome choice, good to see you're continuing the Indochina theme.

She appears to be a nice looking model. I do like how the French changed the markings/scheme....a lot of effort went into that. :D

Good luck with this one as well.

Now a Spitfire like Craig mentioned would be nice.....at this rate you're going to match @stevej60 output for the Nordic GB!!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 29/09/2020 at 06:16, John Masters said:

Here's another one... @Modelraynz is building the other French aircraft so I figured I'd tackle this one!  

Hiya John!

great choice! hehe ;)  its a cool mix of old Japanese unit markings and hastily painted/faded out French roundels

im still waiting for my kit to come across the pond from Aussie :(  I look forward to following your build!

On 29/09/2020 at 07:02, modelling minion said:

A great choice John.

I'm glad that there are a couple of aircraft representing the very early days of the French return to Indochina, a really interesting phase.

I'm surprised that nobody has slipped in an RAF Spitfire from the time they were stationed in Indochina at this time.

while waiting for my kit the thoughts been on my mind! :D  been reading a couple of books about British immediate post-war policing in SEA - it is really interesting! ( really want to get a copy of Dunns "The First Vietnam War") 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Modelraynz said:

its a cool mix of old Japanese unit markings and hastily painted/faded out French roundels

Thanks Modelraynz. I am looking forward to yours as well!  I just broke ground on mine this evening...

This kit is nice and it has a lot of resin and PE. Soft plastic.  Short run for sure.

Sprue is basic...

50405321032_0e539148d2_c_d.jpg

The bag of resin bits (mostly cockpit).  I have two cowlings and two canopies.I assume I'll figure these out later.

50404462298_cab102ca48_c_d.jpg

Nice little bit of PE.  Some flap detail...very sweet.

50405320892_7bba9d7367_c_d.jpg

Let's get the office sorted out...

50405320812_c09b981f37_c_d.jpg

These are the interior sidewalls.  Nice detail and soft resin so it is easy to cut and clean.  Not brittle!

50405328757_8b300ea02e_c_d.jpg

The fuselage halves...I've clipped off the moulding lugs.  They won't be seen so ! am not going to bother sanding them down...

50404463028_6583dd070d_c_d.jpg

The cockpit is assembled, the sidewalls installed.   I will leave it for the night.  Tomorrow I'll prime it and add some detail with a fine hairy brush.

Any idea what the interior colours were for the Oscar?

50405321462_bacd2f3e67_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Hewy said:

some beautifully detailed bits👍

Thanks Hewy.  A bit of paint will bring more out.

33 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Not sure what the cockpit colour would be but I have a suspicion that it would be a shade of grey.

My guess too.  Aluminum highlights...bakelight black on the knobs...

• Like 3

ok I may be able to help with the cockpit colour......but like Luftwaffe colours there's a lot of disagreement and variation in what the actually colour is.

All Japanese aircraft (again this is not 100% correct for late production aircraft) has a special protective colour/coating of interior parts, referred to as "Aotake". This coating ranged from almost Zinc Chromate Primer colour to a brown colour to almost black.

Nakajima produced aircraft used a colour very similar to ZCP, I used something very close to that for a Ki-44 I built.

IMG_0566-L.jpg

They used this colour in the main fuselage section. For the the inside of the cowling and wheel wells....there's some discussion on colours used there are well. But consensus is that another protective coating was used this time a a clear metallic blue one.

IMG_0648-L.jpg

The references used were the Revi book on the Ki-44 and Japanese Aircraft Interiors 1940-1945 (this one is no longer in publication).

That aside, gee it's a nicely detailed model, am looking forward to the rest of this build.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

but like Luftwaffe colours there's a lot of disagreement and variation in what the actually colour is.

Thanks Rich  That's a big help.  Looks like ZCP is a good way to go.  I'll follow your lead.

I went with a combo of the ZCP and a bit of red-brown.  I picked out the bits and bobs with some black, and some red and yellow dots.  I have no idea if any of this is accurate but no one will see it anyway once it is all buttoned up.  The seat is aluminum.  I'll pick out the colour on that lap belt later!

Primer came first...

50408038953_7efe5a6123_c_d.jpg

Then the colour the next day...

50411397818_279f31f158_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 3

Hey mate!

Is coming along  nicely indeed!  After a horrid day with the SH kit im glad to see AML cast the cowl as a single piece!!

The interior looks great, it is a tiny cockpit when closed up! 

Looking  forward  to the next installment! :D

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

the only ad part is most of it won't be seen when the fuselage is closed up!

That’s the truth.  A test fit revealed it was an academic exercise and I would have saved time and energy in just skipping the whole thing.  

• Like 1

Things are moving along.  I am in the middle of a huge full-gut renovation and the bathroom is the last room to go.  So I have been doing a lot of 1:1 scale work

and thinking...

50426094131_046d9be3c2_o_d.jpg

The tub and sink are currently gone.  This is yesterday's image.  New fittings go in on Monday and Tuesday and then the Albanians

come n and work their magic with stone, concrete and Cementagonia!  

I am also working on the Oscar...😁

• Like 3

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I don't know how you are finding the time for those serious renovations with your busy modelling schedule.

I know what you mean...and that was just the bathroom.  For the past month the rest of the house was gutted, then rebuilt from the stone.  New electric, plumbing, etc...

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

What pray tell is that ? 

Cementagonia is a type of polymer-based cement that is used for finishing floors and walls.  It comes in several earth-tone colours and is only used on interiors.  After it is dry it is coated with matte varnish to protect it.  It is really good on surfaces that get wet(it's waterproof)  or need to be wiped down frequently, like bathrooms and kitchens.  It is commonly used on floors.   It's a Mediterranean thing.  It is applied very much like a diorama base.  First layer is cement.  Smoothed and sanded when dry.  Then a layer of mesh is put down, a second layer of cement over that. Dried and sanded smooth.  Then the third, final, coloured layer is applied.  Sanded then sealed.  

I do none of this work.  Around here this is the domain of the Albanians.  Magicians with stone, plaster and cement.  

I'll post a picture or two later, or alternatively you can go to my Instagram site and peruse at your leisure.   The cementagonia  is yellow.  It's on the floor.

jdcm1965

--John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the answer John, I’ll be honest here. Its always been a dream of mine to live in the Greek Islands for many years now. I truly enjoy the little bits you share of your island and non modeling world. It gives me a chance to see what may yet happen in my life someday. 

Dennis

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 8:58 PM, modelling minion said:

The relaxed lifestyle of life in the Greek islands is a dream of many of us

Ha!  Yes...relaxed if you come here for a few weeks, enjoy the sun and tavernas...then if you stay longer you can relax into the labyrinthian social system, the byzantine quality of the bureaucracy...trust me, the nightmares you read about in the papers are true.  Like anywhere, living here is a whole other ball of wax.

Regarding malleable substances...how about a short run kit?  Holy smokes.  I have been at it hammer and tongs...this is what the bench looked like at one point...

50437082252_fbb448f49d_c_d.jpg

Let's back track...

I closed up the fuselage. It needed some scarping and sanding, some fettling, to get it to fit alright.   Filler will be needed, but I get ahead of myself.

50436909321_468a79ef7e_c_d.jpg

Then I tackled some more PE...

50437082282_5240bb0551_c_d.jpg

50437082237_289a496ef4_c_d.jpg

That's when the Dremel came out...the madness began...but I persevered and built the wings...

50436219243_32f6a53f8a_c_d.jpg

Perfect?  Correct?  Ha!  Let's just say

I was able to justify moving on...to the motor...

Lots of flash.  Blobby even.  Fettling, carving...

50436219753_105a053934_c_d.jpg

I needed up with this.  Better.  And behind the cowling it will not be seen.

50436909106_a454084dbd_c_d.jpg

Wings to fuselage....Ha!  Gaps, gaps and more gaps.  But that's ok.  I have filler and putty.

50437081917_6e8a9acae8_c_d.jpg

50436908726_f487187b82_c_d.jpg

50436908536_afc8dcc29f_c_d.jpg

Much filling and sanding will be required.  That propeller is for the Potez, which you can see part of in the upper frame...but that's another thread.

50436218888_ed53524bef_c_d.jpg

OK.  Time to let this sit for a few hours.

--John

• Like 5