Dakota (Dakmaster) Airfix 1/72. Part of a Jersey Airport Diorama

LaurieS

23 hours ago, LaurieS said:

Yes it is Woody although i prefer to call it a ------ bent finger.

Amazing right hand . Try to use the left , I am left handed, to use the mouse. The right hand is totally brain washed all auto. You have to learn all the controls with the left. The beain is a very cunning blighter.

Similar to me, left handed and had the op on my right hand but it was the finger next to little that needed straightening out. I've got more lumps forming again now so it will eventually need doing again, but its still straight at the moment. 

34 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Similar to me, left handed and had the op on my right hand but it was the finger next to little that needed straightening out. I've got more lumps forming again now so it will eventually need doing again, but its still straight at the moment. 

Yes i have a few lumps. Thumb on left looks a likely contender. My father had all the lumps but no curling fingers.

This is by all accounts a great kit, and a huge improvement on their dear old DC3 from the 60s. 

I got one of their reissued Gunship kits, being basically the same tooling as the original, and took great pleasure in making it over into what it's supposed to be..... An Airliner. 

This one, Laurie, should be ace 👍

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

This is by all accounts a great kit, and a huge improvement on their dear old DC3 from the 60s. 

I got one of their reissued Gunship kits, being basically the same tooling as the original, and took great pleasure in making it over into what it's supposed to be..... An Airliner. 

This one, Laurie, should be ace 👍

Looks good Rob. Fractionally disappointed. I am building the civilian passenger yet the seats are all for the military type. never mind you would never see them.

36 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

yet the seats are all for the military type. never mind you would never see them.

Frustrating, isn't it!? 

The only one I know of, or the only one that I've got anyway, with a passenger interior is an issue of the Esci DC3. That has a one piece floor pan with 2 rows of double seats, and I'm not sure if that's right. Certainly a lot of them had double seats to one side and single seats on the other, giving 3 abreast. 

But you're right, not much to be seen when all joined up.. Perhaps a back row if you're leaving the door open? 👍

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Frustrating, isn't it!? 

The only one I know of, or the only one that I've got anyway, with a passenger interior is an issue of the Esci DC3. That has a one piece floor pan with 2 rows of double seats, and I'm not sure if that's right. Certainly a lot of them had double seats to one side and single seats on the other, giving 3 abreast. 

But you're right, not much to be seen when all joined up.. Perhaps a back row if you're leaving the door open? 👍

Yes Rob the door is going to be open & it is annoying. Got some seats left over from a Merlin.

However just one door open which is smallish plus I have a hostess figure. Also on some of that time they actually had a curtain.

Plus have a boarding staircase which I can put passengers on entering the door way which will hide the interior.. So have a few alternatives.

But Airfix you are naughty.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Sounds like a good plan.....! 😀

It was the Gunship Dakota gunners who had some gender reassignment work to become flight attendants 

Ah some body has done it already. Are those handbags being used fro chocks 🤪

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Laurie,  good progress on the Dak and love the details for you diorama too,  love the two of you on the bench . Fantastic fella

Great work 

Chris

Thanks Chris very nice of you & much appreciated.

Laurie

• Like 1

I think you'll enjoy the Airfix Dakota!  I certainly did.  It will definitely keep you busy until the Valom Viking becomes available.  Don't sweat it about the seats.  For flight attendants, I'd suggest the Preiser 1/72 airport figures set: https://www.hobbylinc.com/preiser-civil-airline-personnel,-travelerspersonnel-model-railroad-figures-1:72-scale-72528

I have two sets of them myself, and they are quite good!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I think you'll enjoy the Airfix Dakota!  I certainly did.  It will definitely keep you busy until the Valom Viking becomes available.  Don't sweat it about the seats.  For flight attendants, I'd suggest the Preiser 1/72 airport figures set: https://www.hobbylinc.com/preiser-civil-airline-personnel,-travelerspersonnel-model-railroad-figures-1:72-scale-72528

I have two sets of them myself, and they are quite good!

Thanks Alex yes enjoying the Dakota. is all out of stock as is

Most of Preiser stuff in the UK. is out of stock. Been trying since the Covid started they must have shut down.

Been using Dapol which is quite good. Made by Airfix I believe..

But after looking at your reference spied the mechanics set. By luck Amonzon had a set so they are now on the way. Go well with the starter electric units.

Thanks for that Alex.  😃 Another slot in my airport diorama filled.

Laurie

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LaurieS said:

Most of Preiser stuff in the UK. is out of stock. Been trying since the Covid started they must have shut down.

Been "Out of Stock" since I first heard of the name!! 

Never seen ANY available, reckon you were big time lucky to get hold of some on amazon 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Never seen ANY available, reckon you were big time lucky to get hold of some on amazon 

Certainly right Rob.They  only had two. Perhaps lucky as mechanics are not so popular. 🙄

Pit as from the pictures they look top quality.

Laurie

25 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Actually out of curiosity, nothing comes up on amazon search, I put in a google search & this came up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Figures-Preiser-Model-Building-Kits/s?rh=n%3A364207031%2Cp_4%3APreiser

You will be pleased to see they also have Giraffes.

Laurie

• Haha 1

You could spend a large proportion of your pocket money populating the displays with these (if they become available). 

The trackside figures I got - and I think they're the Daypol types - are some kind of starting point, but the smaller size becomes a bit evident at times. 

OO gauge is 1.86 scale or something?? 

The whole civil side of things is very badly served. I'm trying my hand with the Airfix HP Jetstream reissue at the moment, and the 2 pilot figures are full military, jet helmets the lot. And of course in the USAF version that never was. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

You could spend a large proportion of your pocket money populating the displays with these (if they become available). 

The trackside figures I got - and I think they're the Daypol types - are some kind of starting point, but the smaller size becomes a bit evident at times. 

OO gauge is 1.86 scale or something?? 

The whole civil side of things is very badly served. I'm trying my hand with the Airfix HP Jetstream reissue at the moment, and the 2 pilot figures are full military, jet helmets the lot. And of course in the USAF version that never was. 

Yes on the pictures above Rob they are Dypol. They are 1/76 so the difference is not noticeable. Got a few 1/72 there as well but you would not guess which is which.

The Offord diecast vehicles are 1/76 but measuring a mini bus there is only about 1mm difference in the scales.

Found PJ Products are quite good & they do a very broad range. Even found some civilian pilots.

Lots of train stuff but most does not fit well with aircraft. Problem is that train people produce diorama stuff which is not so prevalent amongst aricrat model makers. Shame as I like to see all my models in the enviroment they work in. To me much more interesting. You can provide a story.

Laurie

• Like 1

The smaller the subject the less any difference appears between 1/72 and 1/76.  However anyone who compares 1/72 and 1/76 kits of the same subject will encounter the uncomfortable truth that a 5% difference in a single dimension is much more in bulk.  Cubed, to be precise.  So as long as you don't put similar subjects near to each other then there's little problem.  Given that people vary in height and bulk anyway, this is less of a problem with figures.  Stewardesses in this period were seldom if ever junoesque, and indeed people were generally smaller anyway.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

The smaller the subject the less any difference appears between 1/72 and 1/76.  However anyone who compares 1/72 and 1/76 kits of the same subject will encounter the uncomfortable truth that a 5% difference in a single dimension is much more in bulk.  Cubed, to be precise.  So as long as you don't put similar subjects near to each other then there's little problem.  Given that people vary in height and bulk anyway, this is less of a problem with figures.  Stewardesses in this period were seldom if ever junoesque, and indeed people were generally smaller anyway.

Hardly anything in it Graham. Actually measured before I bought Oxford Diecast 1/76 stuff & a long based Landrover for my 1/72 diorama.

Differences. Height 1.2m width 1mm & length 2.2mm. Interesting as you do not view directly from side or top so the sizes are actually distorted.

Worked in architecture for 50 years & noticed very early on that where you viewed from altered the visual proportions of elements of a building. Plus the actual overall of a building itself.

Laurie

2 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Making good progress Laurie and a nice collection of accessories for the diorama.

Thanks Steve much appreciated.

2 hours ago, junglierating said:

Love your work Laurie...especially the Heron which I had the pleasure of working on in the twilight of their career on Heron flight at VL.

We flew in to Schiphol once looks funny against all those big airliners 

Thanks jungle sorry forgotten your name. Well I also have a little sister for the Heron a little Dove.

Laurie