Dakota (Dakmaster) Airfix 1/72. Part of a Jersey Airport Diorama

LaurieS

Great old Dakota called in the UK a Dakmaster. First aircraft I ever flew in & it was to live in Jersey for 1 year. Now 58 years.

You got in 7 had to clim a hill to your seat. They gave out boiled sweets to get you to swallow as they were not pressurized while landing.

Ate my sweet before landing stupid. Wow did the ears hut.

Diorama so far 8 aircraft to go.   The PE is for the departure steps

http://QX6raq.jpg

http://AaXYC3.jpg W0wbTU.jpg iVyXsl.jpg jTiPO1.jpg

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, billn53 said:

The DC-3 was also my first flight, as a child.  I clearly recall the uphill climb to my seat!

Darn sight quicker exiting running down hill.

My first flight was in March. Kept hearing this banging on the fuselage. Captain came on do not worry folks just ice falling from the wings .

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Lovely looking forward to this,  after seeing your other builds Laurie.

Used to love watching these at Lydd Airport in the 70s

Chrisi

Thanks Chris hope all goes well.

Dumped my Rapide in the bin. The front just was unreal. Got another which I will have to do a bit of remodel work.

Laurie

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, 110samec said:

Looking forward to this, been thinking of getting one of these kits to build for my dad for his birthday 

See what i can do.

Love the Series 3  Took two Airfix Snatch & converted them to a Series 2 & 3. Some work but worth it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Thanks Chris hope all goes well.

Dumped my Rapide in the bin. The front just was unreal. Got another which I will have to do a bit of remodel work.

Laurie

Crikey what a shame Laurie.  Glad you got another to do though.   I was lucky enough to obtain an Aeroclub 48th DH89 a few weeks back and am well chuffed.  Sorry I digress . Good luck with the Dak fella. 

Chris

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LaurieS said:

See what i can do.

Love the Series 3  Took two Airfix Snatch & converted them to a Series 2 & 3. Some work but worth it.

Thanks Laurie. Yes I remember seeing the dio on the other forum (samc88 on there) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Oh, what a lovely-looking aircraft this Dakota is going to be!  Such a classy shape.  Looking forward to seeing your work on it.  Which airline?  DAN AIR?  Alex

Thanks. Dan Air yes served jersey Well but not international. Lucky otherwise I would have been scrapping around for decals.

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey what a shame Laurie.  Glad you got another to do though.   I was lucky enough to obtain an Aeroclub 48th DH89 a few weeks back and am well chuffed.  Sorry I digress . Good luck with the Dak fella. 

Chris

Never minded any one chatting about anything on my topics. Infact love it Chris.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

I’ll take a look, Laurie. 😉 These classic shapes and the NMF are always got my attention. The departure steps kit is excellent, can’t wait to see it assembled. Have a nice bench time.

Thanks Nikolay. Will try.

This is not helping Little finger curled around into the palm.

http://FdEZG6.jpg

• Sad 3

4 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Is that a duputren contracture? Had an op for one of those a few years ago. 

Looking forwards to your Dak :)

Yes it is Woody although i prefer to call it a ------ bent finger.

Amazing right hand . Try to use the left , I am left handed, to use the mouse. The right hand is totally brain washed all auto. You have to learn all the controls with the left. The beain is a very cunning blighter.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hope you recover soon Laurie. 

Chris

Well Chris stitches out Wednesday probably a bandage but smaller.Left handed so that helps as the problem is on the right.

But looking around the world I cannot complain as my needs have been looked after. More than can be said for it seems the majority of the world.

• Like 2

Laurie, I was wondering what happened to the Rapide. Mystery solved.
I will follow along with the Dak build. It will be a nice addition to the diorama.

Hope the hand recovers soon.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

So sad to hear it, Laurie. I wish you a strong health!

Thanks. Showing off a bit Nikolay  bandages & stitches off to morrow. Probably a smaller bandage hope.

Laurie

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SteveMc said:

Laurie, I was wondering what happened to the Rapide. Mystery solved.
I will follow along with the Dak build. It will be a nice addition to the diorama.

Hope the hand recovers soon.

Cheers

Steve

Yes Rapide sad but it was not right & would have bugged me fro the rest of my life. 😬

Thanks for your wishes Steve. Problem is the bandage keeps getting filthy. Thought of spraying it with Styneylerez & a coat of varnish.

Thanks fro all those who have left likes much appreciated.

Laurie

• Like 1

Good luck with the Dupuytrens recovery, I had one done four years ago and it worked really well, although when the bandages first came off I had a 6mm wide split across my palm (yes I did measure it!). Amazing how the hands heal up.

What is the mountain in the background of your diorama? I keep thinking I recognise it from the Lake District.

Regards,

Adrian

27 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Good luck with the Dupuytrens recovery, I had one done four years ago and it worked really well, although when the bandages first came off I had a 6mm wide split across my palm (yes I did measure it!). Amazing how the hands heal up.

What is the mountain in the background of your diorama? I keep thinking I recognise it from the Lake District.

Regards,

Adrianj

Thanks for the optimism Adrian 🤔. Bandages off tomorrow. Just think I will nip  & get a bottle of wine. 😃 Bright red 🤣

Yes I think that the scene is Welsh from memory. I have admitted somewhere that Jersey does not have any mountains.

Cliffs & hills. Actually the airport is one of the highest places on the island. So I am a complete cheat. 😇

Hope no one sees this & visits Jersey with expectancy. Actually they will not be disappointed as the Island is crossed by so many steep valleys with trees on both sides.

It is a beautiful place I say that as a Surrey man who came here for a year now 58 years later still in love with the place.

We even have a KFC.

• Like 2