Neomega 1/48th catapult section for Airfix Walrus,..... a quick view!

tonyot

39 minutes ago, tonyot said:

The Kingfisher would look cool yeah,...... they were aboard Armed Merchant Cruisers,.....  not sure about the type of catapult mind you? 

A Kingfisher was also carried on Emerald, which was fitted with a Mactaggart Scott catapult.

• Like 2

Just now, bigbadbadge said:

Oh mate that's a cracking way to display the gorgeous Walrus Tony.  Looks fantastic.   Can't wait to see the Walrus too.

Chris

Cheers Chris...... I`m plodding along with it,..... hate rigging and just snapped a bloody strut!!

9 minutes ago, iang said:

A Kingfisher was also carried on Emerald, which was fitted with a Mactaggart Scott catapult.

Thanks Ian,.... didn`t know that. My Walrus is from HMS Birmingham which I believe had a flush deck above the catapult like Belfast etc,...... but it is `visiting. another warship!!

2 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Cheers Chris...... I`m plodding along with it,..... hate rigging and just snapped a bloody strut!!

Ah yes I know what you mean there and feel your pain, the Cirrus moth I have just finished tonight,  folded up on me  when I got the lower wing and fuselage struts on. It nearly got stowed away but fortunately kept my dummy in my moth and just got straight back on with it.  Glad I did I am very chuffed with it. 

Keep up the good work fella 

Chris

• Like 2

On 9/29/2020 at 5:21 AM, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Its only the rear and mid extension not the whole 'thing' - I doubt when built it will be that much longer than the aircrafts that sits on it.

Do Neomega make the complete catapult? I didn't think they did - however, if they did, yes did it would be large.

Tommo.

Hi. We now to the rear extending section as an add on, designed to fit the existing kit, or as a full combo.  https://www.neomega-resin.com/rn-catapult-rear-extension-add-on-1003-p.aspspacer.png

• Like 8

On 9/30/2020 at 6:57 PM, tonyot said:

A bit of an update,..... and of course the rear spools are not fixed into place yet,......

DSCF8853.jpg

DSCF8852.jpg

Just rigging the wings now,

Cheers

Tony

That’s looking pretty cool, think I need both this aircraft and launch in my life!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, woody37 said:

That’s looking pretty cool, think I need both this aircraft and launch in my life!

Thanks Neil,

I got the wings rigged using that stuff you gave me and fitted them  yesterday!

DSCF8854.jpg

DSCF8855.jpg

DSCF8856.jpg

Thinking of mounting the catapult section on a bse of some kind for safety to stop it rolling over.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 8

Lovely Shagbat, Tony.  I have two of these catapults; one is destined for a Walrus (as yet unstarted), but the other will have a Swordfish on it (the Tamiya Mk.1 floatplane).  I’ve added brass rod catapult spools to the Stringbag to add strength, and the next hurdle is to modify the trolley; the arms have to be rebuilt (replacing Neomega’s white metal jobs) and angles changed to get it to work for a Swordfish.

I’m not doing a WIP on this one, but top marks to Neomega, cos it’s a great piece of work.  The jig they describe in the instructions works like a charm:

49871624862_4a3093cc76_b.jpg

49880238152_23bf5dcab3_b.jpg

49906295976_d1e87c0509_b.jpg

• Like 6

On 10/2/2020 at 12:25 PM, wellsprop said:

@tonyot superb work, you've sold me on the Walrus kit and I will need a catapult too!

I'm sure everyone interested in FAA catapults has seen this, but it's such a fantastic video it's worth sharing again!

On 10/3/2020 at 11:49 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Lovely Shagbat, Tony.  I have two of these catapults; one is destined for a Walrus (as yet unstarted), but the other will have a Swordfish on it (the Tamiya Mk.1 floatplane).  I’ve added brass rod catapult spools to the Stringbag to add strength, and the next hurdle is to modify the trolley; the arms have to be rebuilt (replacing Neomega’s white metal jobs) and angles changed to get it to work for a Swordfish.

I’m not doing a WIP on this one, but top marks to Neomega, cos it’s a great piece of work.  The jig they describe in the instructions works like a charm:

49871624862_4a3093cc76_b.jpg

49880238152_23bf5dcab3_b.jpg

49906295976_d1e87c0509_b.jpg

Superb job and I love the additional section, I didn`t notice any mention of a jig in my instructions, ah well! The Swordfish should look fantastic mounted upon there. 

I bought a circular MDF base to mount my catapult section on today, to finish it off and to stop it from tipping sideways!

Good luck mate,

Tony 

• Thanks 1

Hiya Folks,

Well I`ve finished it,...... mounted the catapult section onto a circular section of MDF, to replicate the mount used on Light Cruisers.  

DSCF8858-NEW.jpg

DSCF8860-NEW.jpg

DSCF8869-NEW.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

That is Spectacular!!!

I am definitely going to display my 32nd one just like that.  Maybe I should buy the Neomega one to use as a sample for me to copy in 32nd?  Just lovely!

Thanks mate,........ it would look spectacular in 1/32nd,....... have you not seen the scale drawings for the catapult that were shared on this thread,..... they would be just the job for you.

11 hours ago, tonyot said:

Thanks mate,........ it would look spectacular in 1/32nd,....... have you not seen the scale drawings for the catapult that were shared on this thread,..... they would be just the job for you.

Yes I think so too.

I know Pete M very well, we have been mates for many years and I have those drawings.  Sometimes having something tangeable in my hands in 3D helps me visualize how I might make something...although an expensive way to just visualize how to make it.  

But this is just so inspiring and I can see it as a way to get around the tricky wing set up on the HpH kit

Cheers Anthony

• Like 1