Neomega 1/48th catapult section for Airfix Walrus,..... a quick view!

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

I have nothing to do with Neomega but having just got my stalled 1/48th Airfix Walrus project out, I have got on with building the Neaomega resin, white metal and brass etched catapult section with trolley. I found the instructions next to useless,..... so if I have put anything in the wrong place,...... hey, I did my best!! 

I just thought that I would share it with you all,....... what a good way to display a Walrus or a Swordfish floatplane,.... or another naval type as the same trolley was also used on British carriers like the Ark Royal, but of course the runners were set into the deck. 

Here is my progress so far;

DSCF8851.jpg

And some more pics;

DSCF8847.jpg

DSCF8848.jpg

DSCF8850.jpg

It is very fiddly and the instructions are not the best,...... but I am still glad that I treated myself and forked out for this, according to the invoice it was £37.50,.... but after tax and postage it was £49.00,...... so definitely not cheap!

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 18

I bought the Neomega 48 catapult (with both extension sets) too, it arrived at weekend. From a cursory glance at the instructions I had similiar thoughts to yours, although I have not spent much time studying them. I would be extremely interested in  your experience and welcome any build tips you worked out.

I would say however, it is absolutely beautifully made and castings are bordering on a work of art.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

I bought the Neomega 48 catapult (with both extension sets) too, it arrived at weekend. From a cursory glance at the instructions I had similiar thoughts to yours, although I have not spent much time studying them. I would be extremely interested in  your experience and welcome any build tips you worked out.

I would say however, it is absolutely beautifully made and castings are bordering on a work of art.

Tommo.

I wish I had the room for the full thing Tommo,...... yours should look awesome,...... especially attached to a 1/48th scale Country Class Cruiser!! Mine took a lot of cleaning up,..... so be careful as the parts are very thin in parts,...... a sanding stick was my main `weapon'. Dry fit at least three times before using glue and many of the fitting lugs on cross beans etc needed to be cut down and thinned to fit inside U shaped sections etc. Try not to rush it too!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 85sqn said:

Does look awesome, look forward to seeing that with some paint on!

Cheers bud. I started painting it tonight!

1 hour ago, Duncan B said:

I must admit to thinking I might treat myself to one of these as I have a walrus and Swordfish Floater build in my near future. yours looks great.

Duncan B

Got to be done Duncan,...... I know it is really expensive,...... but I`m glad I bought mine. 

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Impressive!

Quite fancy the Hurri-CAM one actually...

Must...resist....must...

Hurricat,...... did you say Hurricat,...... aw flaming hell,...... wish you hadn`t said that!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, tonyot said:

I wish I had the room for the full thing Tommo,...... yours should look awesome,...... es

Its only the rear and mid extension not the whole 'thing' - I doubt when built it will be that much longer than the aircrafts that sits on it.

Do Neomega make the complete catapult? I didn't think they did - however, if they did, yes did it would be large.

Tommo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Its only the rear and mid extension not the whole 'thing' - I doubt when built it will be that much longer than the aircrafts that sits on it.

Do NeOmega make the complete catapult, I didn't think they did - however, if they, yes did it would be large.

Tommo.

Only the rear and mid extension..the other parts will have to be scratchbuilt (Evergreen structural shapes) or as Ben has noted, 3D printed.

Earlier this year I posted a link to my Drobox account containing 1:48 scale plans and diagrams originally drawn by Harry Woodman. I have since deleted these. If any of you missed downloading these, give me a shout and I'll reload them.

Cheers,

Pete M.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete M. said:

Only the rear and mid extension..the other parts will have to be scratchbuilt (Evergreen structural shapes) or as Ben has noted, 3D printed.

Earlier this year I posted a link to my Drobox account containing 1:48 scale plans and diagrams originally drawn by Harry Woodman. I have since deleted these. If any of you missed downloading these, give me a shout and I'll reload them.

Cheers,

Pete M.

Oh, please reload them. It is a nice and different way to display the Walrus.

Thanks,

Jens

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete M. said:

Cheers,

Pete M.

Yes please, yes please, yes please, yes please, yes please!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

I'm going to pair mine up with either a Grumman Goose or Widgeon.

Tommo.

Not sure if the Goose or Widgeon could use this British catapult mate,.... they would need the suitable spools fitted and I`ve never seen then aboard a British ship either. I believe that Neomega do the full catapult,..... I may be wrong though.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Yes please, yes please, yes please, yes please, yes please!

Will be done Ben and Jens. I'll post the links when I reload them to my Dropbox. I'll leave them up there for a bit longer this time as I'm now paying for extra storage there.

Cheers,

Pete M.

• Like 1

Links as below. All .pdf format. print at 100%.  Drawings, part of an article from Flight magazine, and the original article by Harry Woodman.

Left click on the 3 dots on the bottom of the menu to the right right hand side and choose download then save.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a6rnud7p1mc06k1/Mactaggart Scott Shipboard Catapult article.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n8iyx0w6t6yjl2g/guq7bSz.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rcenjmh2t055t99/LOnif4m.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5zy15bnut1mrhld/c6Sscz7.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lgus7sr3s8weovd/bzDqGh2.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sv95oju2yks6htx/1931 - 0186.pdf?dl=0

Cheers,

Pete M.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

15 hours ago, tonyot said:

Not sure if the Goose or Widgeon could use this British catapult mate,.... they would need the suitable spools fitted and I`ve never seen then aboard a British ship either. I believe that Neomega do the full catapult,..... I may be wrong though.

I know, I know but it will look uber cool when finished. I might do a Kingfisher as well - I believe the HM Navy didn't operate Kingfisher from a catapult. If all else fails I have the quarter scale Lone Star P6 catapult to mount them on.

Tommo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wellsprop said:

@Pete M., you're an absolute star! Hopefully I should be able to start CAD modelling this over the weekend :)

And if you do, and could be persuaded to produce one in 1/32, your Fairey IIIF would have somewhere to perch!😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iang said:

And if you do, and could be persuaded to produce one in 1/32, your Fairey IIIF would have somewhere to perch!😉

Oh yes please!!  I have the HpH Walrus and am wanting to display her on a section of Catapult!

Ben, you might be making a lot of peoples dreams come true buddy!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

I know, I know but it will look uber cool when finished. I might do a Kingfisher as well - I believe the HM Navy didn't operate Kingfisher from a catapult. If all else fails I have the quarter scale Lone Star P6 catapult to mount them on.

Tommo.

The Kingfisher would look cool yeah,...... they were aboard Armed Merchant Cruisers,.....  not sure about the type of catapult mind you? 

• Like 1