Micro-Mir Canberra T17

Having had a wee lull I finally managed to finish this 1/72 Micro-Mir Canberra T17.

I ended up finishing as a 360 Sqn aircraft from RAF Wyton in 1985, mainly because the decals with the kit were incorrect.

Built OOB using the Modeldecal 85 set and addition of the HF aerial using fishing line.

Was looking forward to building this when it came out but probably used not far off as much filler as there is plastic and it fought me all the way.

Got the weighting in the nose wrong but the trick with the wire in the wheels worked a treat.

Apologies for the poor photographs but they hide the flaws quite well. 😀

image image image image image image image image

Edited by scottyphbeta
Extra detail
  • Like 46

Love it! Wouldn't mind one of these... how was the build?
I built their Victor B1 a bit over a year ago, which is a decent enough kit, and I want to build another, hopefully a lot better than my previous build. I've heard some pretty negative reviews of their other kits (the Valiant looks like a fun build), so I suspect the Victor is a particularly good kit in the range (and I eagerly await the day they do a Vulcan B1 to finish the set!), I hope the Canberra is of the same quality....

25 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Love it! Wouldn't mind one of these... how was the build?
I built their Victor B1 a bit over a year ago, which is a decent enough kit, and I want to build another, hopefully a lot better than my previous build. I've heard some pretty negative reviews of their other kits (the Valiant looks like a fun build), so I suspect the Victor is a particularly good kit in the range (and I eagerly await the day they do a Vulcan B1 to finish the set!), I hope the Canberra is of the same quality....

It was a bit of a struggle at times and needed lots of filler and lots of sanding and then lots more filler. The engines were a very poor fit and had lots of gaps. The wings were also a very poor fit.

The Humbrol Matt Cote hides a multitude of errors. I know lots of people don't like it but it has always worked a treat for me.

Flaws?  I see none.  This is a great job on a tough, limited-run kit.  Did the T.17 have the brown rectangular debris protection aft of the main gear on the underside?  That's the only possible thing that caught my attention, but I'm no expert.  Looks great!

Nice one - really like the T17 version.

I built the Mikro Mir Canberra in February, and had forgotten some of the challenges it throws out.

I'd not seen that wire in the wheels trick,  does that raise the wheels off the ground? 

I accomplished the same effect with a prop at the rear of the bomb-bay.

Once again, great result.

3 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Nice one - really like the T17 version.

I built the Mikro Mir Canberra in February, and had forgotten some of the challenges it throws out.

I'd not seen that wire in the wheels trick,  does that raise the wheels off the ground? 

I accomplished the same effect with a prop at the rear of the bomb-bay.

Once again, great result.

I saw the wire trick last week on another site. It was the first time I tried it and I think it looks better. It raises the wheels by the width of the paperclip that I used. so you can't really tell.

I'm sure you could groove out the wheel so it would sit completely flush?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Flaws?  I see none.  This is a great job on a tough, limited-run kit.  Did the T.17 have the brown rectangular debris protection aft of the main gear on the underside?  That's the only possible thing that caught my attention, but I'm no expert.  Looks great!

I wasn't sure about the brown rectangular panels, can easily be added if needed.

Did all Canberra's have these? Always learning.

Very nice build and in the scheme I remember seeing in the 80's, which suited it well. I have one on the stash and sounds an interesting build. 

• 2 years later...

Nicely done, I'm fighting this kit myself. Looks nice on the sprue but I have had to sand all the mating surfaces and test and adjust almost everything. I'm going to make the same aircraft as well using the same decals. These decals are pretty old now how did they behave ?

Regards Glenn.

• 2 weeks later...