1/76th Airfix Morris CS and 40mm Bofors

I don’t venture in here very often, mainly because I don’t build many AFVs. I do, however, like to build various vehicles to help create a scene or small temporary diorama when I’m photographing aircraft models.

Airfix have reissued this kit under their Classics branding, but I’ve had a pair of boxes in storage for a few years. One Morris is slated for a bit of kit bashing to a GS truck. The other, with the remaining guns, have been built up as intended. They’re not going to win any prizes, but they amused me for a day or two.

50393086018_6c78d2f778_b.jpg

50393086213_5841fab5ef_b.jpg

50393947807_9420c7680b_b.jpg

My thing is 1940. After the evacuation of Dunkirk, the British Army was desperately being reformed and re-armed to counter the expected invasion. RAF airfields across the south east of England found themselves in the front line, and the anti-aircraft units of the Royal Artillery came under RAF control. Bofors units were drafted in for airfield defence, as well as supporting the larger AA batteries around towns and cities. It’s a field of research I’m still finding my way through, so the Morris shows no unit markings at this point. I also spent a pleasant afternoon over the weekend trying to work out if any form of revetments or semi-permanent standing would have been common during the Battle of Britain. I came to the conclusion most guns were not given much protection at first, and only later would see sandbags and concrete emplacements. If I manage to get round to a 3.7in AA gun I will make a proper emplacement diorama for it.

• Like 26

I haven't built any small vehicles since I was a kid, but I had a lot of fun converting the Airfix Bedford and Matador using plans that were, I think, in Military Modeling magazine. My first attempts at scratchbuilding and conversions. 

Those really look the part, nicely done!

Ian

Hello Heather,

I have looked at this model (shelf) several times. Was not impressed.

Looking at your finished models, I changed my mind.

Job well done.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Looking at your finished models, I changed my mind.

It needs a little work in places, but it’s over forty years old now. Some parts are much too chunky around the gun, but it’s tiny and you have to make allowances here and there. I believe there is an aftermarket PE gunsight set available which would help no end. A competent modeller would probably make some new parts like the traverse pedals, and refine some of the details on the truck and the gun.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2020 at 2:34 PM, Heather Kay said:

they amused me for a day or two

And that is what modelling is supposed to be all about.  Cracking result from your fun.

• 1 month later...