Bell 206 Jet Ranger - canopy shape?

bootneck

Hello all,

I have these drawings showing the frame stations for the Bell 206 Jet Ranger which seems to show a kink in the canopy at centre-front. 

I don't think the canopy is kinked in towards the center upright bar like this

spacer.png

spacer.png

does anyone have a better set of frame station diagrams, like those above, that give a better representation of the canopy front shape?

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Hi, Mike.

I think your diagram is right. Look here. If you look closely along the central frame, specialy on top of it, you'll notice the kink. Click on the "Enlarge Image" below the pic.

I had that impression seeing a 206 live some years ago, but didn't ivestigate.

That's a big challenge for a modeler!

Best regards

Eugenio

• Like 2

That's a great photo Eugenio and it does show the central section very clearly.  Each canopy pane has a blown effect and the central spar is V-shaped to accommodate this.  I've never noticed this before, so thank you for highlighting it.

Mike

• Like 1

I have noticed that detail seems to have changed over time. Old Jet Rangers seem to have a smooth transition, same for the nose floor windows. At some point the manufacturing process seems to have changed to a free blown perspex from some sort of molded process.

21 hours ago, Rizon said:

I have noticed that detail seems to have changed over time. Old Jet Rangers seem to have a smooth transition, same for the nose floor windows. At some point the manufacturing process seems to have changed to a free blown perspex from some sort of molded process.

Yes, earlier Jet Boxes had a flatter profile at the window centre seem, however Bell, AgustaBell and third party manufacturers like Aeronautical Accessories, all started putting a bulge in the screens. You can also get clear, blue tint and a smoke tinted screens. When I worked on the Jet Box, getting the right part number screen was a nightmare, hence why we tended to change in pairs.

• 3 weeks later...

Every B206A/L I've ever worked on had bulged windscreens. It may have been a production change but it's only a slight bulge. I concur with the chin windows - most are also bulged slightly. Most also have a slight blue tinge, too. Original Bell ones may be different but almost no-one buys them as they're too expensive!