Dewoitine 510 (#219)

AdrianMF

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I’ve built the 501 (red Trident). 510 (black skeleton) to follow after I’ve finished the Vampire.

With two out of the three sprues the same between the two kits, a certain amount of confusion is understandable!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sigh, I blame @JOCKNEY!

Here is the classic boxing and the sprues (I'm building the 510, on the right, the 500/501 on the left is built here in this GB):

68294885-ED73-45-BE-BA1-D-724-F3-CEA3-C8

Two out of the three sprues are identical for the 500/501 and 510, leaving the fuselage sprue as the only different one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hmpf. The aerial is already cut out with a “v” shaped cut to the fuselage and hidden safely for later so I can knock it off properly after painting...

Pat, you never considered selling timeshare apartments as a career??

• Haha 3

Well, retreading much the same path as for the 501, here’s the interior jazzed up a little, ready for paint tomorrow:

C514-E9-B8-4182-441-C-9-A57-FBF322-BF187

The purple holy fragment is the remains of the wine bottle foil that’s been providing me with seat belts and landing light lenses for the past two or three years. Time to open another bottle!

Screw tops don’t count, do they?

• Like 2

Well, the interior is done:

EFDA6-E16-D4-EE-40-A0-BFE9-A89-DD69-E6-F

However, the exhausts didn’t drill out cleanly this time. Maybe I used a 0.2mm drill last time instead of 0.5mm this time. Anyhow, I cut holes and slots for some new Albion Alloys 0.8mm brass tube:

D450-B984-70-DD-4210-87-EB-3-D6-F3490-A0

As you can see, one of the slots has gone AWOL, so repairs are happening.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Toryu said:

you're going to make the deadline Adrian.

Thanks! Nothing can possibly go wrong now. I’ll just pop outside and shoot an albatross to make doubly sure... :)

12 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

exhausts

I wish I’d done that the first time around on the 501.

My wife and I are currently following “The Great Pottery Throwdown”, an elimination contest for amateur potters (it’s better than it sounds). The judge on the programme has a condition that makes him cry when he sees pottery that particularly pleases him. Well, this kit and the 500/501 have pretty much the same effect on me. Are they perfect? No. But they just such beautiful kits to work with - well designed, engineered and moulded, and repaying a little extra work.

I can even almost forgive @JOCKNEY for nagging me into building another one!

• Haha 1

Looking great Adrian. Love the work on the exhausts too. It's a lovely little kit and a joy to build. I've got a D.510 lined up too. I was happy enough with the 501, but the decals let me down a bit.

1 hour ago, fightersweep said:

but the decals let me down a bit.

Sorry too hear that. I’ve been having a right old time with decals too.

I used the original Heller roundels, which have been in the window for a couple of months to whiten up, because they had good proportions, but they kept curling up. Repeated doses of Decalfix and Future got them down in the end. The Czech replacement decals reacted with the fresh Model Air Aluminium and went a bit jelly-like too.

I think I’m winning though:

6-C5-D0669-BD45-4-FF1-BC8-F-F03040-E7745

A bit more Future, final bits and bobs and some touch up painting tomorrow, so I should be on target to get it done.

I’m going to have to get one of these to do in a camouflage scheme. Silver is not my colour!

Fingers crossed...

• Like 3

So, I brushed on two coats of Vallejo Model Air Aluminium on to bare plastic. The finish was lovely. I left it to dry, but it only got to a sort of sticky rubber stage. This made all the decals a pain, and worst of all, when I brushed on a coat of Future, thinking “that’ll sort it”, it didn’t stick and formed into globules.

I had to overbrush the Future a lot to get it to form a coat, by which time it had acquired a grey tinge and was slightly stripping paint from the raised detail.

Then the undercarriage, for which I’m sure the original French instructions read “place the spats in mid air and then stretch all the connecting struts until they join everything neatly...”, refused to stay stuck (time for new CA) and stayed just out of reach of the supplied locating holes.

Anyhow, enough whingeing, I got it cobbled together somehow and took some pics for the gallery. Here’s one which manages to show not too many flaws:

06734465-C998-4925-AC4-A-930-EA98-D01-FD

Thanks for a great GB. It’s been great fun and educational too.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

Congratulations Adrian

I remember the undercarriage only too well, I think you are supposed to put the parts in a cocktail shaker with a couple of drips of CA a few shakes above the head and voila it's finished !

cheers Pat

• Haha 1