Bf-109E-3 -- I love the impromptu camouflage!

opus999

Bf-109E-3 | Hasegawa | 1/72

Lt. Waldemar Wubke, Germany, 9/JG54

rm1YuAy.jpg

Finished this on 9/27/2020.  This was a pretty straightforward build of the early 90's Hasegawa Bf-109E-3.  I chose Waldemar Wubke's aircraft because I love the impromptu camouflage stripes applied at the unit level.  Other units at that time had "X's and other different schemes to break up the light blue on the sides of the aircraft.

The kit was pretty basic, so even taking my time the build was only about one week. The decals didn't look very sharp, so I only used the stencils and the "11".  The rest of the decals came from the spares.  Once on the aircraft the decals actually looked better, so I probably could've used them all. This kit was not as detailed or easy to put together as the Tamiya one I did a couple of months ago, but it was still a fairly stress-free build.  In terms of external detail, it looks about the same as the Tamiya. The only frustrating part was the landing gears: the holes for the gears were oversized and they weren't keyed, so you could rotate the gear and get it misaligned (which is what ended up happening). Also, the wheel wells were enclosed, but still didn't have detail in them.

Since this was early war, I did a minimum of weathering on the paint and a minimum of wear on the aircraft.  I wanted the exhaust to be lighter colored (assuming the engine wasn't as worn) so I used Tamiya smoke.  It turned out OK, but I'm not a real fan of the smoke paint

Paints: Decanted Mr. Surfacer 1500 Black > Hataka RLM 02/71/65 > Mr. Color GX113 dull coat
Decals: A mix of different kits > stencils and numbers are kit decals
Aftermarket: Eduard steel seat belts > SBS wheels

IOPsic0.jpg

4BzNYAo.jpg

bJhNtvH.jpg

oqEaO8K.jpg

gKaIXOf.jpg

o7z6PED.jpg

n8Nx4MP.jpg

biCziFV.jpg

NBS00Sc.jpg

ssnGAmL.jpg

kd88jNG.jpg?1

Thanks for looking!  Questions, comments and constructive criticism always welcomed.

Edited by opus999
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Doc72 said:

Well done, especially the freehand-airbrushed stripes.

I agree, that this in an attractive scheme for the Messerschmitt 'Emil'.

Thanks! I'm learning more and more tricks to getting fine freehand lines.

Besides the ground crew applied camo, I also like the early Battle of Britain era colors.  Growing up I was only familiar with the mid-war RLM 74/75/76 schemes so this is a really nice-looking change.

• Like 1

Looks  excellent to me.

Emils are such a staple of almost everyone's kit range (especially in 1:72 scale).  As such, I have not much thought abut Hasegawa's version.

Certainly, in your hands, it turned out very nicely.

:goodjob:

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kapam said:

Looks  excellent to me.

Emils are such a staple of almost everyone's kit range (especially in 1:72 scale).  As such, I have not much thought abut Hasegawa's version.

Certainly, in your hands, it turned out very nicely.

:goodjob:

Thank you!  I probably wouldn't have bought it myself, but it was given to me. The Tamiya kit was much, much better.