Dewoitine 501 (#156) - Finished

AdrianMF

6 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Well, no prizes for originality but:

The prize is seeing these oldies but goldies built.

The D.500/501was originally released under catalogue number 156 in 1977 whilst bizarrely, the D.510 released a year later had the catalogue number 102 (figure that one out).

Glad to have you join our GB, good luck with these beauties.

• Thanks 1

Two good looking planes there Adrian. Would you mind building them in two separate threads please? This is so we can provide accurate build lists and statistics for our GB 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Well, no prizes for originality but:

Think nothing of it Adrian, actually it will be interesting to see what you end up doing with these little gems as you normally go all out with buckets full of inspiration and plastic card. Welcome to the GB, nice to see you show your hand. 

7 hours ago, dogsbody said:

've got a couple Smer re-pops in the stash. I'll be watching your builds.

C’mon Chris.. its time for you to sign up. Let’s see how many Dewointine’s we can get on here. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hope this is OK by the Mods.

I stumbled across this listing on eBay for a wide variety of Heller kits

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heller-Humbrol-1-72-Vintage-Model-Aircraft-Your-Choice-of-Model/283563154340?_trkparms=aid%3D333200%26algo%3DCOMP.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180801154222%26meid%3D54122491124c45849c21ceedec712c25%26pid%3D100044%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D224164001155%26itm%3D283563154340%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2508447%26algv%3DItemStripV5%26brand%3DHeller&_trksid=p2508447.c100044.m43681

Might help any members looking for a particular kit or a source of inspiration?

I have no link to the seller, and no interest financially in the sale

HTH

SD

• Like 1

On 28/09/2020 at 08:34, Rabbit Leader said:

Holy Cow!! (Vache Sacrée)

I’ll have .........

Oh shucks... Seller doesn’t post to Australia! :cry:

Thanks... but this post might be better in the chat thread. 

Thanks David - I'll move it there

SD

• 1 month later...
  • AdrianMF changed the title to Dewoitine 500/501 (501 with red trident marking) (#156)
On 03/11/2020 at 11:14, John Masters said:

Good luck Adrian!

Thanks John! Well I have started:

DF80073-E-3771-47-E7-AACD-BFD821230-B9-D

The moulded-in aerial started to bend before I had even cut the fuselage half off the sprue! So I made a v-shaped cut to take it off, leaving a nick in the fuselage and a tab on the aerial. It’s safely tucked away for later in a sealable plastic bag, along with the windscreen.

Meanwhile I have opened the ‘A’ holes for the undercarriage under the wings. A couple of stringers, a throttle and a seat belt are called for in the cockpit before I can paint it and close the fuselage up, and then I need to drill out the exhausts and propeller boss.

• Like 1

Just now, JOCKNEY said:

colour

They say vert nil, which I think maps on to duck egg blue/green, Humbrol 23/90. I’m thinking of hedging my bets and making a mix of duck egg green, light grey and German late war underside blue (RLM something-or-other) to get a light greeny-bluey-grey.

• Like 2

Phew! That’s the holes all drilled:

A4-FCBDD2-F36-D-423-B-BBFF-C02984590-B5-
I used a bit of Albion Alloy tubing for the hub gun and just twirled the top of a scalpel in the underwing guns. I think the gun pods are far too small compared to plans that I’ve seen but I’m going with them as they won’t be seen on casual inspection and there aren’t too many photos showing them anyway.

• Like 5

Great detailing Adrian! It looks much more realistic with the holes drilled out. Nobody will ever realise that the gun pods are too small besides yourself! Sometimes a compromise is inevitable.

I must remember that this isn’t a Blitzbuild:

EDFB9818-27-B8-44-D0-9-D96-9065-CBC0867-

Just wheels, spats, two aerials, Venturi and windscreen to go on now. The wing and radiator joins needed some filling but I think I got it straight. I will give it a brushed grey and Future undercoat before breaking out the Revell acrylic silver tomorrow.

I won’t be using the kit decals shown - I ordered some new ones from the Czech site that was mentioned in this group’s chat and they should be here soon. That will give me time to build the 510!

• Like 10

I'm trailing in your wake with my build Adrian, I agree with you that it's a lovely model to build. Parts fit so far is pretty much perfect, as you say.

I would have missed drilling out the right holes for the undercarriage without your pointing it out. The Heller instruction sheet assumes competence on the builders part, and we all know where assumption takes us!

Tony.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I have to say the fit is exemplary - it’s a joy to build:

Come on - can't you say it's a pig or something ;) every time I see these wonderful old kits that fit together properly the stash needs to be expanded. Looking very good.

• Haha 3

Shiny:

DB94929-F-2502-4760-BEFE-030-A4-C4828-EC

I gave brush painted Vallejo Model Air aluminium a shot this time. Pretty pleased with it. So I’ve got a couple of bits to go and some detail painting, then I sit on my hands and wait for my new decals.

• Like 12

8 hours ago, Jinxman said:

Come on - can't you say it's a pig or something

My experience of Heller kits is limited so far but fit never seems to be an issue. The recessed fit of the wings to the fuselage on my Amiot (1966 vintage) is remarkable, superbly engineered.

Build is looking great @AdrianMF, looking forward to what you think of those decals as this one’s quite near the top of my to do list.

• Thanks 1