About aerodynamic wing problem early MiG-23

Aardvark

On 9/28/2020 at 1:12 AM, Aardvark said:

Hi, all!

Since this topic expressed an interest in further discussion of problems with the first versions of the MiG-23, an automatic translation from Russian is published:

(snip)

In addition, I hope this publication will stimulate model manufacturers to create the earliest modifications of the MiG-23, which no one is making now.

😉

B.R.

Serge

Serge, a belated thanks for this very interesting text on the early MiG-23, and the details that you subsequently added. It makes very interesting reading! 

And look what you caused 🙂 I took my very old Hasegawa MiG-23MF and started correcting its shape. I lowered the front fuselage by 2 mm, added a 4 mm plug between the front fuselage and the mid-fuselage, removed the spine since it was too tall, and started work on moving the inlets forward. I also increased the bulk of the nose section, but that's not in the photo.

Of course, much better kits are now available, but wanted to try correcting the old kit. First, it's another lesson in shapes, a skill that I've been working on for a long time. Second, the modifications will give me a better understanding of the MiG-23 shape, and allow me to judge the other MiG-23 models better. I won't promise I'll finish the model though!

mig23-16.jpg

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

And look what you caused 🙂 I took my very old Hasegawa MiG-23MF and started correcting its shape. I lowered the front fuselage by 2 mm, added a 4 mm plug between the front fuselage and the mid-fuselage, removed the spine since it was too tall, and started work on moving the inlets forward. I also increased the bulk of the nose section, but that's not in the photo.

Of course, much better kits are now available, but wanted to try correcting the old kit. First, it's another lesson in shapes, a skill that I've been working on for a long time. Second, the modifications will give me a better understanding of the MiG-23 shape, and allow me to judge the other MiG-23 models better. I won't promise I'll finish the model though!

mig23-16.jpg

Rob

Ahaha...Rob, when the first good drawings for the MiG-23MLD just appeared, it was in the early 90s, I tried to make a MiG-23 from Hasegawa using them ... I failed!  But I still have the details of this disaster somewhere lying around! 😉😁

All I got was a fin, and when I sometimes see it in some kind of box .... I look at it and think: "But I was once able to paint with a brush!" 😁

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark

32 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

Ahaha...Rob, when the first good drawings for the MiG-23MLD just appeared, it was in the early 90s, I tried to make a MiG-23 from Hasegawa using them ... I failed!  But I still have the details of this disaster somewhere lying around! 😉😁

All I got was a tail, and when I sometimes see it in some kind of box .... I look at it and think: "But I was once able to paint with a brush!" 😁

Ha, you tried it too 🙂 I think I solved most problems on the front side. But that vertical tail that's much too low - I don't have a simple solution for that. How did you apporach it?

Rob

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rob de Bie said:

Ha, you tried it too 🙂

Do You have doubts?😉😁  I have a photoproof:😎😁

20201010-003754.jpg

the truth is inside, not a MiG-23, but something more valuable ... a complete collection of Lavochkin's single-engine jet fighters,
20201010-003936.jpg

except for the La-190, La-150 and La-15 ...

La-150 and La-15 they are elsewhere,  La-190 just nobody does.

35 minutes ago, Rob de Bie said:

I think I solved most problems on the front side. But that vertical tail that's much too low - I don't have a simple solution for that. How did you apporach it?

I do not know.  1. I need to find my disaster with the MiG-23.😁

2. I need to see Your model in these drawings:

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/mig23m.html

B.R.

Serge

On 10/10/2020 at 12:18 AM, Aardvark said:

2. I need to see Your model in these drawings:

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/mig23m.html

I'm using the drawings from the Czech 4+ booklet for my conversion. The model now agrees well with these. My model is just an experiment, to see whether the old Hasegawa model can be corrected relatively easily. I will probably finish it with a simple paint scheme. I plan to use an RV Aircraft model to build a fully detailed MiG-23MF.

spacer.png

Rob

• Like 2