781 AMX-13 VCI

Foxbat

This is the 2001 rebox of the original 1976 VCA which was itself based on the previous year's AMX-13 gun tank.

I've had a soft spot for this vehicle since i first stumbled on it in a copy of Janes' Tanks of the World in the early 80s. If ever an APC could be described as cute, this is it 😊

There is only one set of markings in the box, but there are six figures to make up for it. I suspect they won't get used as I'm seriously out of practice at painting 'real-life' figures.

Box, less dynamic than the original, but more artistic and now full screen. Photo taken at an odd angle to avoid glare from the flash.

spacer.png

Contents. Plenty of plastic, with the same vinyl tracks as the first issue, although now they're silver instead of black.

spacer.png

Instructions in deluxe mono, with the small decal sheet. I'm hoping they're more in register than that bridging plate suggests as I can't find any aftermarket alternatives.

spacer.png

Andy

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 10

Nice one Andy, I checked the box art and there's a lot of guys pouring out of the thing! Looks like they're in a hurry 🙂

For the record, in our GB built list this will be listed under kit 781 as we only list the new tool boxings. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

Nice one Andy, I checked the box art and there's a lot of guys pouring out of the thing! Looks like they're in a hurry 🙂

For the record, in our GB built list this will be listed under kit 781 as we only list the new tool boxings. 

No problem, I'll update my title.

Andy

• Like 1

I know nothing about the subject, however it’s a Heller kit, so it’ll be followed and encouraged as well as all other participants. Welcome aboard Andy, echoing the others, good to see some Armour stuff coming through. 
Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not much of an update, but I've started. This is steps 1 and 3 of the instructions (2 and 4 are the same but the other side). Everything has gone together well so far, fit is good and the plasticis easy to work with. Colour call out is overall Humbrol 86 which is Light Olive. I'm a wee bit dubious so I'm off to do a little research before I get to bits where I can't reach to paint.

spacer.png

Andy

• Like 3

Hi Andy,

I have the AMX-30 tank kit and they say Hu 86 for that too. Unfortunately I know nothing about the colours of post war French AFV so I will also have to do some research. I have quite a few French mags such as "Battailles et Blindes" and "Trucks and Tanks" so I will let you know if I find anything.

Later,

Light olive seems to be close enough from the pics I have of the AMX-30 before the "Nato style" green/tan/black camo was introduced,.

Pete

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Later,

Light olive seems to be close enough from the pics I have of the AMX-30 before the "Nato style" green/tan/black camo was introduced,.

Cheers Pete, I'll go with the closest match I have to that in the paint stash - although it feels wrong not to be buying another paint set just for the one kit :D

Andy

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've been tearing my hair out. I'm now on my fourth different "match" for light olive and they all look wrong. Having a horrible time trying to paint it too - I'm used to models per bottle of paint but these wide open 1/35 spaces seem to drink paint faster than my van gets through petrol.

I'm taking a break to finish my MTO builds, then I think I'll stop being clever, just build this then try again with paint.

Andy

Edited by Foxbat
  • Sad 1

Hi Andy

I'm sorry this one isn't behaving itself. I wouldn't know where to start regarding colours so I apologise for not being able to offer any assistance. 

Can't see the harm in asking a question on the AFV section on BM to see if anyone has done all the research for you. I've lost count how many times I've got really good advice from people on here.

Good luck 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, JeroenS said:

Hi @Foxbat, I hope you'll be returning to this one soon, there's always more room for land dwelling stuff in the gallery!

I hope so too. It's a lovely kit, it deserves to be finished.

Andy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm afraid not. It keeps looking at me accusingly but my mojo has up and left. A crying shame, this has been a brilliant GB and the kit deserved better 😢 

Andy

• Sad 2