Spitfire Mk IXe Eduard 1/72

The Supermarine Spitfire requires no introduction. In my opinion, together with the Messerschmitt Bf 109 and the Mitsubishi A6M "Zero", is probably the most famous and recognisable plane of WW2, and certainly the most beloved one. I'm presenting the Mk. IXe variant. 

The Kit from Eduard is fantastic with great fit and detail for the scale probably one of the best I've done and I totally recommend it!. As you can see in some photos the canopy is broken on the starboard but I have already contacted Eduard and they've organised a replacement which is on its way. I'll take that opportunity to replace the antena which looks a bit out of scale.

PL124, No. 312 Squadron RAF, B-10 Airfield Plumetôt, France, June 1944

Czechoslovak pilots flew the Spitfire Mk.IXe for the first time during the Normandy landings. Czechoslovak RAF squadrons were re-armed with low-altitude Merlin 66 Spitfires because these had underwing bomb racks and were more suitable for operations over the Normandy beachhead. The first unit to get the new Spitfires within No. 134 Wing was No. 312 Squadron, which received the aircraft on June 11th, 1944. The E-type wing Spitfires served with the wing till July 3rd, 1944 when the F and HF.IXc machines arrived and the LF Mk.IXe were passed on to other units. Photos of PL124 show that the quick identification black & white bands were not fully painted on the fuselage. The black stripes are missing. Note the dark, probably blue, rudder tip.

WHihbbq.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

hI35TjU.jpg

GWwjKDx.jpg

RRYvz5v.jpg

AHGWlD6.jpg

nM6xeZn.jpg

• Like 57

1 hour ago, SaminCam said:

Gorgeous!

Thank you!

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

That's a real beauty. 

One small point. You have both ailerons on the wing in a down position. These work in opposite directions, so it should be one up and one down.

Chris

Glad you like it and thanks for the advice. I had absolutely no idea 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeC said:

Nicely done, and always good to see a Czech squadron represented.  :goodjob:

Thanks! Happy that you like it 😉

14 minutes ago, IanC said:

Outstanding. Superb paintwork.

It wouldn't have an aerial wire to the fin though, so no need to replace it. The VHF antenna was in the mast.

Thank you!

So, in this Mk. IXe I'll have to remove the wire, that's it?

14 minutes ago, JrivasK said:

Thanks! Happy that you like it 😉

Thank you!

So, in this Mk. IXe I'll have to remove the wire, that's it?

Yes, just leave the mast on it's own.  I've actually just got my kit out of the stash - you've inspired me to make a start. I still haven't built one of these. 🙂

8 hours ago, IanC said:

Yes, just leave the mast on it's own.  I've actually just got my kit out of the stash - you've inspired me to make a start. I still haven't built one of these. 🙂

Done! too easy, thanks for letting me know.  I'm glad that I've inspired you to make a start and I can't wait to see your one! Cheers mate.

5 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Tidy build of a splendid little kit, JrivasK.  You've got a deft hand with the weathering; it's visible but not overstated.

IanC, you're gonna have fun with this one.  The plastic is superb and falls together, despite the relatively high parts count.  

Thank you!...yeah it's always tricky not to overdo the weathering...To me, it's THE key part of the building process, it is what makes the model "alive" and tells the story... I've seen too many builds with fantastic details and amazing paint work but pristine and shiny, and in my opinion, they look like toys... But, on the other hand, too much weathering can definitely ruin a model. Specially because of the scale effect. (it has happened to me in many occasions 😞)

And yes, IanC will have a blast. This Eduard kit is probably one of the best (if not the best in 1/72) I've done. Truly amazing detail and great fit. In fact, as soon as I finish it I've placed an order for their new Mk. I dual combo in 1/48 and many other of their newest kits. In my opinion, now a days, Eduard is in another league. Their commitment to quality, the informative, full coloured, high quality prints, nice paper instructions booklets, the included PE and canopy (and wheels) mask, the surface detail (rivets! 🤟) among other things puts them apart of any other manufacturer maybe with the exception of 1/32 Tamiya's and Zoukei-Mura. (In fact, the only area where I think they are behind is with their 1/32 scale line. (So far their 1/32 kits seem more like a blown-up of their 1/48 ones)

cheers

Jorge

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo I like this, what a cracking Spitfire,  great work,  your paint finish and weathering is fantastic.  

Chris 

Thank you very much Chris.

12 minutes ago, Britflyer said:

Absolutely fantastic job! I would have guessed it was 1:48, and a well made 1:48 at that! 

Thank you!...well lots is because of the amazing detail included in the kit.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, supersonic said:

Beautiful Spit!

Thanks 😀

7 hours ago, kapam said:

Probably one of the best Spitfires I've seen in a while - especially in 1/72 scale.

Simply awesome!

Beautiful! :clap:

Thank you very much! Happy you like it 👍

I like it!!!!!  I need to build one of these fabulous Eduard Spitfires sooner rather than later.  Your`s is certainly inspirational and beautifully executed.  :clap2:

Mike

3 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

I like it!!!!!  I need to build one of these fabulous Eduard Spitfires sooner rather than later.  Your`s is certainly inspirational and beautifully executed.  :clap2:

Mike

Glad you like it!. Yes, I definitely recommend you do. I think Eduard's Spits are the best out there. Than you very much for your kind words. 👍 Cheers

• Thanks 1