I must be dreaming: Nieuport Delage NiD 622

jean

I do like the look of this kit Jean and your fine WIP photos are not doing my stash growth many favours! The thought of converting one to a Spanish NiD 52 is what’s appealing to me more now that I’m getting my Bf109 B/C closer to the paint stage. 
Cheers and nice progress.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dave,

aren't stashes made to grow, and grow?

Beware if you want to model a Spanish NiD 52: The radiator is under the chin and is a mighty beast! Serious scratch involved...

I believe Azur did produce a 52. Might be an easier route, and your stash would still be ecstatic!

Have fun!

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi JR

How is this one getting on ?

I decided to be a gentleman and let you go first in the gallery before my Amiot.

After all when the Amiot goes in with it being such a looker and poster girl of the GB, I didn't want your NiD 622 feeling intimidated :wink:

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi JR

How is this one getting on ?

I decided to be a gentleman and let you go first in the gallery before my Amiot.

After all when the Amiot goes in with it being such a looker and poster girl of the GB, I didn't want your NiD 622 feeling intimidated :wink:

Cheers Pat 

Hi Pat

do not hold back on your Amiot! I am hunting for photos of the Nieuport's fuselage underside... Not many of that, believe me!

Born a catholic, during my youth I did not see many poster girls on my bedroom walls... my mother saw to it, though, that I never ran out of a crucifix to look at, wherever I went in our house!!!

I am sure my Nieuport will be fine.

The MS 406 will be finished long before the Nieuport. I will add some photos later this evening to prove it.

Congrats again on your chocolate Amiot!

JR

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

You don't seem to have any bugs trapped under the decals! Looking very nice.

Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

believe me when I believe our home is where all the Scottish midges migrate during winter! Decalling and gloss varnish are only possible at lunch time... a nuisance really, but it's OK.

But better a bug under your decals than a hamster stuck under the wall to wall carpet you have jut finished fitting.... although you cannot stand on your decal to flatten the bug.

All the sub-elements are pretty much ready, so it should go quite quickly once I have sorted out the radiator and other panels.

Cheers

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

at long last, I am back on the Nieuport!

Life has tried very hard to keep me away, but I finally managed to get back to the modelling bench!

This little plane is nearing completion, and one of the main things left to do was to cut and fit the missing panels under the front fuselage. I have started, using adhesive aluminium foil. I am left with the front radiator panel and then time for paint.

NiD 622 Photo 14

Again, closes-up photos do not do justice to the work done, but you are getting the gist of it!

Thanks for watching.

JR

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

after an Etendard IV M interlude, I am resuming work on the Nieuport, with the firm intention to finish it ASAP.

I have carried on with the adhesive aluminium foil and positioned the radiator bath under the nose and the walkways on either sides of the fuselage at the wing roots.

All these add-ons will be NMF while the rest will be green.

And I just noticed that the radiator ovaloid is half a hamster's hair off center. So need to re-cut an other one and get it centered this time! Damn!

Anyway, so that you understand what I am talking about:

NiD 622 Photo 16

NiD 622 Photo 15

Cheers

JR

• Like 3

Hi everyone,

slowly progressing.

Have re-cut a new radiator bath out of adhesive aluminium. Much happier with the result. It s now centered and I used a sawing needle as opposed to a scalpel blade to cut the shape using a template. Much better result all around.

NiD 622 Photo 17

In addition I drilled two oval holes on either side of the cockpit: this is where the ailerons' control rods come out of the fuselage to connect to the wing.

Of course Heller forgot about them...

NiD 622 Photo 18

Last thing to do, is to streamline the foot rests that have been molded cylindrical. and then it will be primer time. Paint work not far at all now.

Thanks for watching.

JR

• Like 3

Hi everyone,

and @JOCKNEY thank you for the compliment.

The fuselage and stub wings have been primed. I chose white so I can mask the rudder and use the white for the tricolor decal.

Painting coming next.

Not sure which color to start with, as the NMF panels are not at all obvious to mask. Either way, I will struggle!

NiD 622 Photo 19

Thanks for watching.

JR

• Like 4

Hi everyone,

decided to start with the NMF, as the most logical sequence. Used some Metal Cote mat aluminium for that.

After masking the boundaries, I will brush paint the green. That will be for tomorrow.

NiD 622 Photo 20

Cheers

JR

• Like 4

14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Look forward to seeing the green going on, two builds in the same GB, is this the new benchmark for you in GB's for 2020 ?

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

yes, I m looking forward to seeing the green paint. It should look real nice, assuming I don't make a complete hash of the whole job!

Two builds in a GB is definitely NOT a new norm, but it may become one, as some kilt-wearing, single malt drinking good soul is sending to the colonies all these great kits I am totally unable to refuse or left un-built!!!! Just when I have reached the conclusion that I should live until 150 to build all my kits, without of course buying any new ones!!!!

Remember that I am a slow builder!!!!

But I am having a great time and that is what matters!

Cheers mate.

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi everyone,

today has seen the first coat of green going onto the model.

It looks like hell, but the second coat should straighten things up, especially after a Micromesh swipe.

What I am rather worried about is the masking. There may be quite a few (quite a lot) of touch ups to go through.

I hope I am wrong!

Here is a photo of the Nieuport:

NiD 622 Photo 21

Second coat hopefully painted tomorrow.

Cheers.

JR

• Like 3

21 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Yes, the first coat is not for beauty! Hope your masking will not leave you with much touching up. 

Hi Jeroen,

second coat brush painted today and everything looks much better, but I think that I need a third diluted coat to be really happy. I am a pain to myself!

I suspect my masking was possibly a rushed job and that there will be quite a lot of touching up... Such is life...

The masking tape will be removed tomorrow evening. 

JR

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

3 coats of paint, my goodness you are spoiling us !

Hi Pat,

these Humbrol tinlets were purchased in the early 90s, so I am being profligate with the paint before it dries out!

I would even paint the mongoose in Humbrol 3, if I did not know that I would die a horrible death shortly afterward...

Last coat after lunch and removal of the masking tape this evening (on the Nieuport, NOT the mongoose!). Fingers crossed!

Have a great day!

JR

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jean said:

I would even paint the mongoose in Humbrol 3, if I did not know that I would die a horrible death shortly afterward...

Have a great day!

JR

You are safe with H3, I had an incident with the youngest twins when they were about 2. Building a sopwith camel with the older ones, left the room to 2 minutes to get them all drinks to find younger ones covered in H3 and only a small bottle of thinners to try and clean up both kids and carpet !

Mrs Jockney was working so had to improvise using a jerrycan of petrol !

All children and carpet survived the process !

Look forward to meeting the mongoose one day

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Mrs Jockney was working so had to improvise using a jerrycan of petrol !

All children and carpet survived the process !

Look forward to meeting the mongoose one day

Cheers Pat 

just as well you were not a smoker. Blaming Humbrol for the smoking pile of your house would have been tricky...

To meet the mongoose, bring a coat of arms, lovely soul that she is!

Cheers

JR

PS: I am happy with the third and last coat of green. Pheeew.

Hi everybody,

removed the masking tape and liquid mask this evening.

I am not unhappy with the result. It could have been better, but things can be improved fairly easily. I realize though that removing the Tamiya tape removed as well the mat aluminium paint that I had applied on the adhesive aluminium panels... Oh well, more repainting with a very fine brush.

From here on, the Nieuport should take shape fairly quickly, or so I hope.

Here are a couple of photos:

NiD 622 Photo 23

NiD 622 Photo 22

Thanks for looking.

JR

• Like 7

Hi everyone,

in between being swamped by the cyclone Eloise, I have been able to sneak a bit of modelling. So the Nieuport is moving along in parallel with the Etendard.

I have repainted the aluminium panels and added the black panels on top of the cylinder heads.

Just a bit of touching up left to do with the green and around the black segments. Rather finicky painting with the tormented shapes of the Nieuport .

I have no idea what got hold of me to glue the foot rest... I will be amazed if it stays in place!

Here is a photo showing some of the progress.

NiD 622 Photo 24

Thanks for watching.

JR

• Like 3