Silk Cut-and-Shut

Sabrejet

This won't be a long build since I've done a bit already. Unfortunately I didn't take too many photos up to now because I was busy enjoying the build. So anyway, I introduce Le Mans Miniatures' 1/24 Mazda MXR-01 from the 1992 Le Mans 24 Hours.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

001 (2)

The MXR-01 was Mazda's attempt to repeat its 1991 LM win, and on the face of it the omens were good: Mazda got Tom Walkinshaw Racing to pair a modified ASTEC-built XJR-14 tub with a Judd 3.5-litre V10, which the Japanese company re-named the Mazda MV10. So in reality the Mazda was actually a Judd-engined Jaguar. Neverthess, Mazda launched into a twin championship assault, with one car contesting the Japan Sports Prototype Championship and a second supporting the World Sportscar Championship. At Le Mans, four cars were fielded: two T-cars and two further cars for the race itself. No.5 (essentially the JSPC car) raced in the hallowed 'Renown' colours while No.6 (the WSC car) raced in overall pearly-white with Kajima sponsorship. The Renown car sported a high-downforce twin-tier rear wing for the race while the Kajima car featured a very low-drag, low-downforce item. It's the latter version that I'm modelling. Sadly the car at Le Mans retired following an accident but the No.5 completed the race in 4th place.

I have a number of Le Mans Miniatures kits in my stash and I like them a great deal. They are beautifully moulded and while the 'Softline' range is kerbside, the 'Goldline' kits have engine and chassis detail. Much is moulded integrally, but being resin, the detail is exquisite. So here are the main parts:

001 (3)

001 (4)

There is a bit of clean-up to do, but I think this is why I love resin kits so much: I find the clean-up very ASMR and I love the smell of resin too. The front and rear body sections are wonderfully thin and of necessity have some hefty moulding blocks to remove: more ASMR!!

001 (8)

001 (12)

And some other resin bits of loveliness:

001 (13)

001 (14)

And lots of lovely photoetch:

001 (15)

001 (16)

001 (17)

Two sets of vac parts (why do manufacturers do that?):

001 (18)

And a lovely decal sheet.

001 (19)

I will post an update tomorrow and then I should be up-to-date.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Looks like being fun, the detail on those pieces is amazing, kudos to the master maker.

Steve.

The French have some very skilled craftsmen in that area: Le Mans Miniatures, Profil 24, Feeling 43 to name but three. Back in the day it was Starter, Automany, Provence Moulage, Annecy, Tenariv, Alezan - you name it! I wonder why?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kitkent said:

Looks a very good kit,also love the smell of resin in the morning. But what's ASMR? 

Chris.

ASMR = Autonomous sensory meridian response; for me it means relaxation!

Anyway I did skip ahead a lot before I took photos. So here is the front section, painted Mr Color Flat White and then overcoated Mr Color Pearlescent White. Carbon fibre and kevlar decals are a mix of Hobby Design and Shunko.

009 (1)

009 (3)

And then the engine part test-fitted. Gold shielding is Bare Metal Foil Gold.

010 (1)

010 (2)

010 (3)

010 (5)

And that's us up to date. Apologies for the massive step from 'bare resin' to nearly done. 

• Like 9

23 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

I find the clean-up very ASMR and I love the smell of resin too.

French resin when it's best. We definitely share a taste here. I often find a glass of a good Shiraz goes very well with that lovely smell of a newly opened French resin kit of this era.

20 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

The French have some very skilled craftsmen in that area: Le Mans Miniatures, Profil 24, Feeling 43 to name but three. Back in the day it was Starter, Automany, Provence Moulage, Annecy, Tenariv, Alezan - you name it! I wonder why?

The master creators involved here really knew their game, many still do. Usually very impressive work of great variety.

Your build is looking excellent, looking forward to follow.

• Like 1

Bit more: windscreen trimmed and fit-checked. Looks OK.

011 (1)

011 (2)

Also rear wing supports added; rain light fitted and seatbelts painted and installed. Buckles by Le Mans Miniatures, belts painted Tamiya tape. Not that you can really see them! Oh and the fire extinguisher has been painted and straps added from chrome Bare Metal Foil.

Finally, I have added the kevlar stone guards ahead of the rear wheel openings. These are curved photoetch with Shunko kevlar decal on  top of gloss black.

011 (3)

011 (4)

011 (5)

Best get some wheels on it! Oh and fix that windscreen in place.

• Like 10

Wheels! This photo reminded me that I haven't added the valve stems.

And finally it looks a bit like a race car...

012 (1)

012 (4)

Annoyingly, the nearside rear tyre has a very prominent step where the mould halves obviously weren't lined up, and thus far it's resisted attempts to even it out. It will definitely have to go as it stands out like a hippo in a swimming pool.

012 (8)

• Like 5

Few more bits done. This is the rear wing (PE and resin) painted and ready for assembly:

012a (1)

Then the front bodywork. I've tried to show the pearlescent paint finish, but it doesn't photograph very well!

012a (3)

012a (5)

I have now run out of white undercoat and so the rear clamshell will have to wait. I think it's time for decals then. :)

• Like 7

Hi Sabrejet 

Quite a build!  Not only in terms of overall quality, but including your blazing speed! wow!  I've wondered about kits with fully formed resin details and how they might turn out and you've proved that in the right hands, the results can be great!

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Nick,

Once the clean-up is done, progress moves quite quickly. Bear in mind too that I was halfway through this before I posted the first photos. I'd taken the usual 'what's in the box?' photos and got carried away a tad :)

I've been there. My Maserati started off with a quick, check of the box. Then I started cleaning parts and before I knew it I was properly building it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnlambert said:

I've been there. My Maserati started off with a quick, check of the box. Then I started cleaning parts and before I knew it I was properly building it. 

I like that Maserati: right up my street in terms of the real thing. Yours is looking good for a kit that's nearly as old as its subject!

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nick Belbin said:

Looking wonderful.

Another fan of French resin car kits particularly in 1/24: '65 Ford GT and '67 Mirage M1 by LMM; '67 Ford GT MkIV by Renaissance; Ford P68 by Profil24 all in the stash.

Nick

Liberate the resin! Hope you can post some here soon!