EGNT Newcastle Airport Main Terminal Pier 1/144

phil1

with the strengthening columns put in place the roof can now go on. The plastic card isn't the thickest so this will just be a base layer for the roof until I start dividing up the individual roof sections with railings etc 

spacer.png

with the whole roof on there were plenty of gaps and some parts a few mm out. A milliput and a full sanding should help to achieve a cleaner linear look. at 5.7/5.8mm the structure still seems a little tall to me, especially when I know there are extra layers to be added to the roof. The structure isn't sitting flat so this will give an opportunity to level the bottom up and lose a few millimeters.

spacer.png

After a good sanding and clean up I can now press ahead with some detailing and construction of the observatory tower

this is the south side

spacer.png

and the north side

spacer.png

looking toward the terminal and main airport

spacer.png

this is looking from the main terminal/airport. Some unsupported sections look like they are drooping, I can correct these by adding an extra layer to the roof to even it out

spacer.png 

A slight problem has occurred with the discovery of that there is no thoroughfare in the centre! It's not obvious on the south side as there is some empty space in there.

spacer.png

However the north side its a solid wall with a door

spacer.png

spacer.png

upon further discovery the lower area needs extended forward as clearly the wall isn't as far back as my (upside down) model, it will also seal the gap. I'm still unsure about the small area under the airbridge to the right so I'll need to find a few more reference shots

spacer.png

spacer.png

this is the only shot I have of under the airbridge but it's hard to make out if its a solid wall or a support for the actual airbridge itself. 

spacer.png

this is meant to be the same area so I'm not sure if this block needs to come out

spacer.png

• Like 4

Looking in on this regularly and have to say I'm impressed with all that conveyor belt kit surgery! Takes me all my time to alter control surfaces! That pier is going to look pretty dammed impressive with a lick of paint.

Push on lad!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, sorry for the delay. If you think I've had a break from this one or thrown in the towel think again. I've been at this tirelessly whilst I've had to deal with some major problems (and surgery) I encountered shortly after my last post. 

I admitted I'm no engineer and now I have the evidence to prove it. In hindsight if I'd dedicated some extra time to preparation I might have saved myself some expense especially when I came to the conclusion that the whole thing was bent. I perhaps need to address the possibility that I inhaled a considerable amount of glue in the crucial stages of development.

Below shows how the model is offset. I was aware the bottom didn't sit right but I didn't realise how much the centre dipped compared to the leading edges. I only discovered this when i got my hands on a metre ruler.

spacer.png

With various thickness of plastic card I was able to build up the centre. Then applied a final skin over the top of the whole model to even it out. This presented another problem as I have estimated that the building is 7 to 8 metres high. The current model now is well over 6cm which is more than 8m in real life so it is too tall. 

spacer.png

As the base didn't sit right anyway I removed 4mm from the whole base which was.......painstaking!!!! I had to mask a line of tape along the bottom then score with a knife along the edge until I had a clean cut. 

spacer.png

except...now the portions of the upper floor that protrude out were far too big. Also because of this it narrowed the gap below where vehicles are meant to pass under or park in some places. 

spacer.png

Ok so believe it or not this is when the major surgery begins. Indeed this was the moment when I thought about starting again from scratch. So the protruding areas needed to be shrunk, this was achieved by hacking off the ground roof and shifting it further in. You can see where the milliput line shows the original level and the newly inserted tabs are much further in, the new ground roof or first floor base will lie neatly on these tabs. 

spacer.png

And the havoc continues by hacking down the base. However I found some lovely (and cheap) L shaped plastic from Maxwell's that are the perfect size. They are a little shorter than the original base so I'm gluing them on to what's left of the original. They'll also look far more straight.

spacer.png

Fast forward past all the mess and it was time to clad the original exterior just to cover up any unsightly bits. 

spacer.png

I showed a previous pic which showed how much the protruding levels were dropping, all the work has corrected this although the right side is still about 1-2mm too short. 

spacer.png

a few areas of note.....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The 787 size looks just about right. The top of it's fuselage should nearly be level 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The exterior will be clad in this V-groove Styrene by evergreen models. I've went for 2.5mm spacing, I felt 2mm may have been too small. Rather than cut up the styrene sheet to make space for the windows I plan to just stick the windows on top as that will be a much simpler and practical way of doing this. 

spacer.png

The windows are a bit of a dilemma. I want everything consistent which is difficult. The aircraft all have decal windows and obviously I haven't cut any windows out the pier itself so they will have to appear flat and opaque.

I have a few ideas for this, one idea is to have blacked out tinted windows but apply them to this mirrored paper to get some reflection through the tint, needless to say I'm still experimenting and I am open to ideas! I will however need to apply the same technique to the observation tower and possibly inside the airbridges  

spacer.png

Just a quick mention about the base.....although I am still considering spray painting the whole board for the apron I tried some sheets using spray mount just to see what they looked like. I got to be honest I quite liked it, but the Jurys still out on that one

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

After some consideration whether to scratch build the airbridges or pay the extortionate price for the Braz sets I decided to go with the latter as I thought I had too much on my plate with everything else to make. I ordered the 3 remaining twin jetways with the glass type 

spacer.png

I'll be brutally honest, the kit is fairly horrendous and requires a very high skill level. The plastic is extremely brittle and will snap easily, especially the thin parts that support the glass tube.

The plastic is also a bit resistant to sanding and its hard to smooth out the rough edges. 

The instructions are vague and the pieces (there's a lot of them!) aren't numbered on the sprue. 

spacer.png

On closer inspection the kit is meant to snap into grooves but all the pieces are too big for the grooves meaning its inevitable that gaps will appear. Certain parts are meant to move freely but I don't think this will be an option as any movement will cause parts to snap.

spacer.png

spacer.png

at 1/144 scale it will look half decent

spacer.png

The worst part for fitting is the tube itself. The problem is that something 0.5mm wide needs to be attached to something else 0.5mm wide. Also this is where the pieces were attached to the sprue so its not a clean join. I am currently awaiting some new tools so I can smooth some of the parts down.

spacer.png

I've added another aircraft to the pier. So far TUI are just represented by the 787, but normally EGNT bases 3 737-800s so looking ahead I've added a 737 MAX. The kit is nearly identical to the zvezda 737-800 kit but obviously there is the updated tailcone and engines. I've added the MAX split winglets although the kit still comes with the alternative scimitar winglets, generic winglets and even the non winglet edges, I'm not sure why.

spacer.png

I've also added the EGNT saviour, the emirates 777-300ER and the kit is more or less identical to the zvezda parts except probably less fuselage detail. I've nicked a spare SATCOM antenna off a A321 neo kit just to spice it up a little, even on the 777 it looks a little too big

spacer.png

Hopefully more progress on the actual building soon! 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Since last time I have encountered a slight problem with my current model, I don't like it. I've spent so much time trying to put right what I've done wrong but I've realised I could start again and take a fraction of the time it took to put together the present one. 

For me the angles are just not sharp enough on the corners/edges and despite loads of effort the height is still uneven in places. The building itself is too tall at more than 6cm in places, I'm not 100% sure on the height but I've guessed that 5.8cm is the very maximum it can be without making the aircraft look out of scale. at 1/144 2mm or 3mm seems crazy but that's like the real thing being half a metre too high. 

Whilst I was making the original I discovered some L shaped plastic lengths which I though would have been perfect so I'm using them to build the walls. First things first, I've started right in the middle again but the plastic sheets are thicker to prevent the cantilevered upper floor from drooping which completely distorted the shape. 

One thing I also did that I didn't do previously was to put in a strengthening column to keep everything aligned.

spacer.png

straight onto the surrounding walls, progress is quick

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Before adding the roof I've had to prepare for the columns that prop up the upper level. Instead of just gluing these straight on the plastic I've used a 1.5mm drill and fed through plastic coated wire that will support each column to prevent them snapping off. 

You can also see that this build is a lot cleaner than the other and also a lot lighter as I haven't went gung-ho on the materials. I've avoided using milliput and tried to be more precise fitting the parts together.

spacer.png

inside the structure the plastic wire would obstruct any windows if I'd decided to go with that. I did consider it again but I'm not looking for extra work at this point. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The plastic wire needs to be shorter than the ground level. The square columns have a hole that fits snug 

spacer.png

I'll eventually cut these down to ground level

spacer.png

these are the bus lanes. In reality the part of the structure on the left would be attached to the main terminal

spacer.png

I've started fixing on the roof. Again I've went for the thickest plastic available to keep everything straight and level. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

just a few final parts to put on and I've built this in a tenth of the time it took to make the previous, I'm a lot happier with the outcome and it's going to make progress much easier. Next I have to seal any gaps and give the exterior a good sand. I'll be applying a v-groove sheet to the exterior once I'm happy with that.  

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished off the exterior of the building in preparation for the next stage. Although most of the corners looked tidy I had to put some extra time in to make sure they were as sharp and straight as possible as when the exterior is clad everything needs to meet 90 degrees. Some corner areas needed to be replaced slowing down progress last week. 

The cladding will consist of Evergreen V-Groove siding (as mentioned in the thread earlier). The grooves make it perfect for cutting to size, just as well for nearly a tenner a sheet!

spacer.png

I'm using a slow cure superglue to make sure I've got a few seconds to move the parts into position which will be crucial as each groove needs to meet up with the next groove. 

spacer.png

A large section was required for the far part of the pier, luckily these two sections went together seamlessly

spacer.png

On this central area I decided to put the layers horizontal rather than vertical. Unfortunately cutting out a square for the tunnel was a big no-no as the styrene sheet only cuts well in the groove, better to place linear sections around it.

spacer.png

The bottom section is smaller than the top, these smaller sized strips will also run underneath the cantilevered sections. They'll hardly be noticeable but I'll know they are there

spacer.png

Both parts sit nicely together. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

quite proud of the edges and everything lines up nicely

spacer.png

Started work on the reverse side with a gigantic piece which means I'm almost out of material!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now the reverse side is a little different, on inspection of pictures the lower floor is not the same cladding but looks like shutters. The next size down of sheet v groove siding is probably the best representation, note the larger section on the bottom right

spacer.png

The shutters are mainly below and behind the cantilever. I assume in real life these open to store ground equipment 

spacer.png

The roof is also complete. Once the cladding is complete the next stage is the roof which will require a small 2mm wall that runs around the outline and also divides up the separate building sections. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Hi Phil,

Blimey! I thought my dio was big!

And I don't envy you having to scribe all those lines, no matter how compliant the material! Just doing a 4x4 inch wall of 1/35th brickwork would do my head in!

Great work.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

just a quick update, been mainly working on the roof outlining the different building sections

spacer.png

the strips on the outside tidy up any unsightly gaps between the edge and the cladded areas.

spacer.png

started adding the pillars as well

spacer.png

with the pillars neatly fitting into the plastic wire it allows flexibility and can be bent into position 

spacer.png

the pillars are a little bit too thick in my opinion and may need a bit sanding 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

just awaiting more plastic strips to finish off the roof. 2 sections have a slightly corrugated affect which I'm going to try and find some thing for it. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

most of the major roof detailing now complete. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

technically this part of the model doesn't exist as it's the section that is attached to the main terminal building

spacer.png

ready for paint....

spacer.png

3 cams of tamiya light grey and results are patchy. at £7 a can this is going to be an expensive paintjob

spacer.png

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Firstly may I apologise for a lack of progress, this is due to a number of problems such as

1. The condition of the base board. During the winter some damp got into the board and caused some problems with the surface

2. The size of the base board,. Due to its length I'm unable to work around it as it's the same width as my garage.

3. The Light Grey Tamiya TS-81 used for the pier was far too dark.

4. Shortage of stock in store and online of tools and products

So, I decided to make a big decision and lose a 5th of the base board, this area was the most affected by the damp and was the far part of the apron which included a waiting area for incoming or outgoing aircraft. This also included a grass verge which wasn't really essential. The ramp area is now more compact and mainly centred around the pier and I also am able to physically work around the board. 

All imperfections have been sanded out and I've sprayed a layer of Halfords Laquer (which is not obvious at all) to give it a solid protection against weathering. When I've built up a decent layer of laquer and everything is even I will then spray the whole thing and give it a gravel effect.

Markings will either go on with fine tape or painted. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I wasn't happy with the colour of the pier as TS-81 was far more mid to dark grey than Light Grey. It was hard to find a spray alternative. Revell 371 is ideal (apart from the satin finish) but is not available at the moment anywhere. Revell 371 is a great match for aircraft wings and which is the shade i was looking for. 

Eventually I settled on Tamiya Insignia White which predictably isn't white and is nearer the grey I'm looking for. The only way I can describe it is a colour match for the millennium falcon!

spacer.png

Most of my models are made and primed including a KLM 737-900 (from 2 zvezda kits), 2 x 757s, one 757-200 and 757-300 both Braz and minicraft (yes the curse strikes again with zvezda bringing out their new 757 tool to ruin my efforts) and a a320 hacked into a a319.

Other efforts like my a318 babybus a320 conversion are still in progress

spacer.png

spacer.png

more to come!

• Like 3

Was the same width as your garage ?? Blimey .. a good decision then .. Looks okay from here 

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

Absolutely fascinating progress and an amazing project. I have and I'm sure lots of others have dreamt about making a scene like this but actually realising it is really bold.

Thanks for the review of the Bra.Z parts too, useful to know

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 8:26 AM, bzn20 said:

Was the same width as your garage ?? Blimey .. a good decision then .. Looks okay from here 

Yes from wall to wall! originally I was concerned that if I chopped some off the whole thing would splinter and disintegrate (it was cheap)

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 9:25 AM, Tim R-T-C said:

Absolutely fascinating progress and an amazing project. I have and I'm sure lots of others have dreamt about making a scene like this but actually realising it is really bold.

Thanks for the review of the Bra.Z parts too, useful to know

thanks mate

it's a lot to take on but it's also a learning curve too. I'm just hoping I can make some proper progress soon!

Phil

8 hours ago, Maverick231 said:

Looking awesome Phil1!

cheers mate! glad you think so

Phil

Don't forget me and my little Cherokee from over the other side of the runway! 

I was there most weekends in the 1980's displaying my now famous one wheel at a time landings to the appreciative gathering of roof top spotters. 

I well remember the Wardair Jumbos flying to and from Newcastle bound for Toronto via Prestwick if memory serves me right . These together with Britannia, Air UK and Dan Air bring back some very happy memories. 

All joking aside Phil, this is a fantastic project which is coming along very nicely. 

Good luck with the rest of the build, I can't wait to see this completed. 

• Like 2

On 9/11/2021 at 2:26 AM, cngaero said:

Don't forget me and my little Cherokee from over the other side of the runway! 

I was there most weekends in the 1980's displaying my now famous one wheel at a time landings to the appreciative gathering of roof top spotters. 

I well remember the Wardair Jumbos flying to and from Newcastle bound for Toronto via Prestwick if memory serves me right . These together with Britannia, Air UK and Dan Air bring back some very happy memories. 

All joking aside Phil, this is a fantastic project which is coming along very nicely. 

Good luck with the rest of the build, I can't wait to see this completed. 

well despite only being a wee nipper back then you are already a legend in my eyes mate! I have very vague memories of my Dad taking me to the roof top but I certainly remember the Wardair 747 and the Britannia 767s.

On a side note I did consider building the old pier first then having the newer modern parts added on (but being able to remove them) so I could switch between an 80s diorama and a more recent one but I think my boss would have to give me a year off work to pull that off. I have started a wardair 747 in my stash so once completed I will try some trick shots so that the pier is not obviously different, (I think some of the gate waiting areas were built on the skinny corridor but not all of them?) 

Very kind comments Chris 

Phil

• Like 2