Lockheed EC121 Warning Star.

stevej60

Evening folk's still in shock at picking up a still sealed kit for a mere £20 (touching £50 at some pre owned outlet's) I've wanted to build one for years so two

birds with one as this GB's arrived and given me a perfect excuse it's an older boxing which I think has 1 blue/white scheme,think I'm gonna need a bigger bench!

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/heller-80311-lockheed-ec121-warning-star--1124187

• Like 10

That's a lot of kit for not a lot of cash.  Well done.

I built a TWA Civil version ages ago. I sold it on as it was too big for the flat I was in at the time. It sat on a coffee table in the front room and got busted about once a week. I would love another though!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, yes, YES!

I was hoping one of these would turn up!  Thanks Steve!

Catalogue number 311 first released in 1983.

Welcome and good luck.

• Like 1

Throw out all that military garb and you have one of the prettiest airliners ever to grace the skies. Make sure you also place those oil trays under the four engines, no one wants a messy cabinet shelf when she’s finished! 
You’ve done well acquiring this kit Steve, we’ll ook forward to her coming alive... in next to no time I bet! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Going to be following. There's been one hiding away on Facebook Marketplace for a while. £25. Been umming and ahing but this pushed me over the edge. 

WOW !!  Gonna be hanging on this build, Steve.

I've got the Limited edition in the stash with all the Plusmodel resin and p.e paraphernalia and every time I get it out, it scares the daylights out of me !

Will follow and take copious notes. Good luck with the build.

Rog

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Going to be following. There's been one hiding away on Facebook Marketplace for a while. £25. Been umming and ahing but this pushed me over the edge. 

I know ebay is not everybody's flavour Tony I watched one go for £14 yesterday and this looks like an easy fix.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heller-1-72-Lockheed-EC-121-Warning-Star-Model-kit/114429785923?hash=item1aa48bf743:g:vSYAAOSwSyJfbzO5

4 hours ago, roginoz said:

WOW !!  Gonna be hanging on this build, Steve.

I've got the Limited edition in the stash with all the Plusmodel resin and p.e paraphernalia and every time I get it out, it scares the daylights out of me !

Will follow and take copious notes. Good luck with the build.

Rog

Thank's Rog this one may well do likewise with me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

I know ebay is not everybody's flavour Tony I watched one go for £14 yesterday and this looks like an easy fix.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heller-1-72-Lockheed-EC-121-Warning-Star-Model-kit/114429785923?hash=item1aa48bf743:g:vSYAAOSwSyJfbzO5

Yeah I just clocked that one, and another that's at a similar point in the auction at just over a tenner. Might be stash fever setting in.  😉

Genuinely curious if something like this GB has the power to drive up prices for certain kits though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Genuinely curious if something like this GB has the power to drive up prices for certain kits though.

Not the first time that thought has crossed my mind Tony,we all noticed a jump in prices during the Frog GB and I thought the same with the Airfix GB too.

• Like 1

Well kit arrived and what a size,good decals and once the shock of the plastic colour wore off looks a goodun'.

20201002_183632

Looks like this one left the factory 39 years ago!

20201002_184432

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Evening folk's,the tiny terror that is my Grandson spent the weekend so nothing modelling wise this weekend but just put an hour in tonight and

rather than paint this and that just a cutting off the spru and cleaning up of parts session on this build.Cockpit is basic but then not a lot will be seen.

20201011_185953

• Like 7

That plastic is..... eye-catching. 
Yes. 

I'll stick with that. 
I like the seats, proper armchairs :)  That empty space cries out for an engineers station to me but it's your model ;)

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

I am looking forwards to watching this build. I would imagine it will need some serious weight up forward to prevent it tail-sitting? I presume the colours are white and some shade of Dark Gray (US spelling) or is it Blue -  I believe Heller say 7024 aka Hu 25 Royal Blue?

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1