Roots acrylic model paint

gavingav1

New acrylic paint from roots, i have no affiliation to roots model paint this is a just a write up of my finding in using them, available of ebay  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15ml-Humbrol-Matched-Acrylic-Matt-Colours-130-variants-Roots-Model-Paint/164259306379?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=463882005345&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

They make 130+ matt and 40+ gloss colours which covers a lot of colours that humbrol have dropped from the range and are hard to find, satin colours are in the matt range and are matt, the paint is supplied in a 15ml dropper bottle and feels very nice to hand paint and spray when used with Vallejo thinners, the paint is very thick and needs lots of thinning so it goes a long way, the paint feels very much like the new humbrol acrylics and it is certainly a high quality paint.

spacer.png

it sprays very finely when thinned with vallejo thinner

spacer.png

and covers well on bare plastic

spacer.png

in short a very nice paint with a good range of colours at a decent price .

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My son has acquired a few of these paints as well. He's a brush painter and he says that the paints cover well but to be aware that the matts dry very matt.

Most recently he's been using Intermediate Blue on an Airfix Kingfisher and he's happy with the result.

John 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The evilbay advert is a little bit disingenuous.

At first glance it would seem to be £1.75 per bottle plus £1.88 postage which looks good.

However upon looking at the postage details it is £1.88 postage on the first bottle then £0.63p per bottle and that is using Royal Mail 2nd class there after so the real cost per bottle is £2.38, not so good a price as it seems at first.

They are gouging on the postage or lying about the real price per bottle and trying to claim it back of the postage, either way that is disreputable in my book.

Sovereign for instance can send 12+ tins of enamel for £4.50 Parcel Force 48, so there is no way that 12 bottles of this stuff costs £8.81 to post!

I don't buy from evilbay myself as a matter of principle and dodgy adverts like this is one of the many reasons why.

Now if a reputable hobby shop stocked them that would be different and I could be tempted to try a bottle or two for detail brush painting.

I have recently bought them. The first ones were ordered accidentally as from the revell advert I thought it was revell aqua. My fault I should of read the description. However when they arrived I was very impressed. The colours seem very close and the paint is much thicker then other paints I have used and covers well. I have since bought some more of the humbrol ones this time. 

What are you talking about? those paints are absolute RUBBISH! Shades might be looking fine but the texture is so bad it's like painting with watered down clay or mud. They're so gritty it's unbelievable! Officially the worst paint I've ever seen.

• 9 months later...

Finally ordered a couple myself, Humbrol “96” arrived more grey and purple than my last pot of the actual stuff but looks close to what Humbrol have in the new dropper pots, however the second pot “226” is nothing like interior green…..and it’s so thick mixing new pigment is difficult 

• 2 weeks later...