DKM Bismarck 1/700

Hi there, this is my first post in britmodeller so I hope you guys like it. 

A couple of months ago I came back to the hobby after a long seven years without modelling anything…

Since I got into model making I always wanted to build the Bismarck. 13 years ago I purchased Revell’s 1/350 scale kit, back then the best and most complete kit you could it have. Unfortunately soon after I moved across the world to Sydney and I couldn’t bring it with me. Then years later I got Trumpeter’s 1/700 with a bunch of aftermarket detailed sets but then again, after my daughter was born I was not able to build it because of lack of time and I put it aside with the hull and turrets done. But this year when browsing online at my local hobby shop I stumbled upon this AMAZING Flyhawk kit. I got the deluxe FH1132S version which comes with 8 plates of photo etched parts and metal barrels. Because this was my third attempt to build it and motivated to do the best possible I’ve also got a wooden deck and detailed metal mast by infini models. And finally, exactly after a month of working every day I’ve finished.

I decided to build it as seen on the 21 of May of 1941 when at the beginning of operation Rheinübung, Bismarck and Prinz Eugen stopped briefly in Grimstadfjord, southwest of Bergen in Norway. The baltic camouflage on the superstructure was no longer there but it is still visible on the hull with the sailor starting to paint it over.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And here just a couple of images from the building process:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers, Jorge

• Like 43
  • Thanks 2

That is a beautiful build, I have to agree with Richard E, it would be a very good result in 1/350, but in 1/700 simply stunning, I particularly like the way you are using washes in a very precise way, lovely job !

Cheers

David

6 hours ago, Nick Charnock said:

Superb, great job 👍

Thanks a lot

5 hours ago, Dancona said:

That is a beautiful build, I have to agree with Richard E, it would be a very good result in 1/350, but in 1/700 simply stunning, I particularly like the way you are using washes in a very precise way, lovely job !

Cheers

David

Thank you very much!. I'm glad you like it, Yeah, because it is such a small scale I was trying not to overdo the washes. When seen at a normal distance (not as close as seen on the photos) they look better I think. Another thing I've tried this time was to apply some brownish washes to the wood deck and I think it turn out to be OK ( in fact it may even need a bit more).

5 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Your Bismarck looks simply fantastic, outstanding work, one dont believe thats just 1/700

Thank you! yeah I have it right next to me and it is quite small actually! 

2 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

:gobsmacked: :goodjob:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Thank you! 

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Lovely crisp modelling

:clap2:

Kev

Thank you very much!

That is a smashing build. I am so envious when I see such great work of rigging and PE in a ship that small. Sadly, my peepers and arthritic hands mean that I can only do limited rigging in the larger scales. Even then it is a challenge.

Dave

12 minutes ago, Oberleutnant said:

It was worth the wait!

It was...I can finally say I've build the Bismarck 😀

11 minutes ago, davecov said:

That is a smashing build. I am so envious when I see such great work of rigging and PE in a ship that small. Sadly, my peepers and arthritic hands mean that I can only do limited rigging in the larger scales. Even then it is a challenge.

Dave

Hi Dave, than you very much. It was certainly a challenge to work on the rigging and all of the photo etched. It took quite some time and lots of patience, and by the end my eyes could not focus well after dealing with all those tiny parts...in fact I reckon I should go an pay a visit to the ophthalmologist ...cheers