Stuka Photo Query

AulusHoratius

Hello all, 

I intend on building a diorama of a photo of a fairly famous Stuka which is purported to have had the infamous snake livery on its port side. The image in question can be found here https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Ju-87/StG2-NA/pages/Junkers-Ju-87R2-Stuka-5.StG2-(T6+AN)-Tmimi-Libya-1941-01.html . From what I understand this image has been taken as British forces inspected the plane which force landed over allied territory in Libya 1941. My first question is: What on earth has happened to the rear machine gun? Did the British forces remove it? Or is the photo simply deceiving me?

Secondly, would anyone be able to enlighten me on what type of uniform and colours the British personnel are wearing? In particular the man in the distance wearing what appears to be a hood, the man who appears to be wearing a cap of sorts behind the Balkenkreuz and the man inside the cockpit? 

All help is very much appreciated, thank-you!

Aulus

i was reading up on the snake Stuka and on at least one site there is some doubt as to whether the photo on your link shows the same aircraft or another aircraft altogether with the same codes. After much discussion the opinion seemed to be undecided so one is right to say it’s a different aircraft and also right to say it’s the same one!!!

Have a read on this thread 

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/ju-82b-2-snake-marking.41574/

The up side is no one can say you are wrong whatever you decide. 

I suspect removing armaments would be a high priority for any personnel coming across an abandoned or captured aircraft so as to make it “safe”

Cant help on the uniform question but others more knowledgable will be along in a minute

My two cents worth. The guy in the hood. It looks like wet weather gear to me. Note his baggy trousers. I think the LRDG wore that sort of thing?

The one behind the Balkenkreuz, looks like an officers cap to me. Looks like wet weather gear in the cockpit too.

That looks like an ammo clip on the ground, under the Fuselage N. That could have come from the rear gun.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, JohnT said:

Aulus

i was reading up on the snake Stuka and on at least one site there is some doubt as to whether the photo on your link shows the same aircraft or another aircraft altogether with the same codes. After much discussion the opinion seemed to be undecided so one is right to say it’s a different aircraft and also right to say it’s the same one!!!

Have a read on this thread 

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/ju-82b-2-snake-marking.41574/

The up side is no one can say you are wrong whatever you decide. 

I suspect removing armaments would be a high priority for any personnel coming across an abandoned or captured aircraft so as to make it “safe”

Cant help on the uniform question but others more knowledgable will be along in a minute

Thanks mate!

17 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

My two cents worth. The guy in the hood. It looks like wet weather gear to me. Note his baggy trousers. I think the LRDG wore that sort of thing?

The one behind the Balkenkreuz, looks like an officers cap to me. Looks like wet weather gear in the cockpit too.

That looks like an ammo clip on the ground, under the Fuselage N. That could have come from the rear gun.

Cheers Pete! Is it fair to say the wet weather gear would also be in the standard African colours?

I certainly couldn't say for sure. I do know from experience that the desert can be a very cold and wet place to be in the Winter!

You'd have to search for pictures of the LRDG guys, though colour ones would probably be few and far between.

I wouldn't be surprised if they wore German or Italian gear, so search far and wide.

Whatever you find or decide, who is going to say you're wrong?

6 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I certainly couldn't say for sure. I do know from experience that the desert can be a very cold and wet place to be in the Winter!

You'd have to search for pictures of the LRDG guys, though colour ones would probably be few and far between.

I wouldn't be surprised if they wore German or Italian gear, so search far and wide.

Whatever you find or decide, who is going to say you're wrong?

Thanks again Pete!

• Like 1