Occident Paddle Steamer L062 Cadet Series

TonyW

A bit of an oddball, nothing new as far as this GB goes then!

Hellers box scale Occident Paddle Steamer. One of the Cadet series that contains quite a few gems, this one included.

A beat to death box and a hull that needs separating into its two parts means this ones this one's a builder. A nice change of pace from the aircraft that are queuing up behind it.

Ship models rarely get a look in with me, so I'm well and truly into uncharted waters here. Accuracy be dammed, it's going to be a straight out the box build, complete with a seascape base to sit it on. 

Viva la difference!!!

20200925-090526.jpg

20200925-090553.jpg

• Like 12

Yay, a ship! I hope more will follow, Heller made lots of them!

Edit: very pretty box art too!

Edit 2: where are my manners? Welcome to the show with your second build and good luck with your oddball 🙂 

Edited by JeroenS
  • Thanks 1

That beauty dates from 1973 apparently.

So pleased to see a ship and a paddle steamer at that, in this GB.

Welcome along Tony and good luck, you seem to have a sound plan of action!

• Like 1

Well done Tony

I was worried that the hosts were going to have to draw straws for build something floaty.

As someone frightened of rigging biplanes, it would be just my luck to have to build Hellers HMS Victory !

Lets hope we see lots more boats, the very best of luck with this build.

cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Richard Humm said:

I haven't seen this one before your copy, Tony. How does it compare in size to the Series 1 Airfix Great Western?

'evening Richard,

It's comparable in size to the Airfix ships. A little bit more detailed but there's not a lot to choose between them.

Tony.

Hi Tony,

great choice! The Heller Musee series were my first forays  into modelling, so they are really dear to my heart!

Not boats though, as the simple vision of one made me sea sick...

Paddle steamers are indeed special.

Have fun!!!

JR

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Day one of the GB and the Occident that was waiting to happen has been started. 

20201003-131604.jpg

Basic stuff. Parts cleanup and first coats of paint added to the big bits. I tried to split the hull, to start with component parts, but It wasn't having it. Two bits stuck together is OK though, so on with the job.

A base is needed for the model and one's underway as we speak. The card middle has had a couple of coats of clear to seal it. I'll be making waves later.

20201003-130958.jpg

This lot's drying now and then the second round can begin, probably tomorrow.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The little ship has seen a bit of attention for the first time in ages today.

Here's a few earlier progress shots that I managed to fail to post. Sorry, must try harder...

20201003-131604.jpg

20201005-094819.jpg

20201007-083632.jpg

Today it got its seascape base started using pollyfilla for the sea with a cut out in the card base for the ship to sit in. It looks like it's sailing through a frozen wasteland at the moment but once the filler is dry a bit of colour will be added.

The itself base looks quite dark here. The earlier shots were taken in bright sunlight, todays one taken at dusk. The base is painted with a gold basecoat, stippled sienna oil paint and Tamiya clear orange over that. The available light changes the appearance quite a bit!

20201108-154640.jpg

The builds back on track now and further shots will be added as things happen.

Tony.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Goodness me I hadn't appreciated how small these boats were in that scale, lovely work Tony, I'm jealous of your eyesight 

Cheers Pat 

The stripes on the Captains sleeves are proving difficult to paint Pat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TonyW said:

The stripes on the Captains sleeves are proving difficult to paint Pat.

I was once told there are 7 creases to be ironed into each leg of bell bottom trousers !

Apparently 1 for each of the seas.

Its probably an old wives tale but something to keep in mind after you have finished with the egg yoke  / braiding. 😉

Cheers Pat 

I've made a start at painting the sea base. Black undercoat followed by misted metallic blue and green car sprays then various oil paints worked into that.

20201110-153322.jpg

A bit loud at the moment, but I think it will tone down to a useable finish. The oils will take a while to dry so the next update on this one won't be for a good few days.

Tony.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...