Heller Classic GB Subject List - Choose your build!

JeroenS

Hi there mods

I have a query about a kit, that I actually have (I think the 1965 boxing) of a Heller ("Musee" range) of the Bloch 152.   Is this allowable.  It doesn't appear in your list, although it is on Scalemates, here:-

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/heller-l091-bloch-152--168502

The kit that I have is in a black (or very very dark gray) plastic, and is missing its decals, so I would propose to use some aftermarket decals, if that is OK?

Thanks,

Philip

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prenton said:

Hi there mods

I have a query about a kit, that I actually have (I think the 1965 boxing) of a Heller ("Musee" range) of the Bloch 152.   Is this allowable.  It doesn't appear in your list, although it is on Scalemates, here:-

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/heller-l091-bloch-152--168502

The kit that I have is in a black (or very very dark gray) plastic, and is missing its decals, so I would propose to use some aftermarket decals, if that is OK?

Thanks,

Philip

Hi Philip

Absolutely, I built the same kit in the "Year I was born GB" so at 1965 I would say it definitely qualifies and is an exceptional choice. Although I may be a little biased !

Best of luck

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

On 10/4/2020 at 8:42 PM, Rob S said:

Just looking at another alternative after deciding not to go with either of the “classic” 1:50 options I was considering (not that either one would get finished if even started given my GB track record!) and I noticed what I was considering was not on the above list. 

It is this kit

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/heller-63001-dump-truck--1021463

which looks to be based on about a 120t Wabco Haulpak and was available in the 80s in the Bobkit range although Scalemates is not complete enough to show it’s various issues only the last issue.  

Interestingly I thought the Bobkit issue was a rebox of this kit issued by Lindberg

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/lindberg-1200-dump-truck--1021483

but the scales are listed differently. 

The plot thickens ... 

OK so I found the kit now I just need one or all of the Mods to give it the nod.  

14 minutes ago, Rob S said:

OK so I found the kit now I just need one or all of the Mods to give it the nod.  

Rob,

It's a cute kit but I can't find any reference to it in the Carbonel book which was published in 2005, which therefore suggests the kit post-dates the book publication and therefore well after the being moulded prior to 1st Jan 1986 which is one of the legibility criteria for this GB.

Sorry, without evidence to the contrary, I'm going to have to rule this one ineligible.

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury I wish to present the evidence for the Prosecution this is what happens when you have a “Bible” and an “authoritative” internet database as “definitive” reference sources. Both have troubles : the former written by a Prophet not being all knowing and the latter being put together by Enthusiasts but sadly being incomplete and containing errors. 

The kit in question is the same in the first link as in the second. The scales for what ever reason have been listed differently.  The “giveaway” (no folks I have no more Heller kits to give away!) is in the photo of the second Lindberg issue which has the same “Big Moe” decals as in the early 80s Bobcat issue I have. Therefore the age of the kit to fit within the Group Build time period is not in question. 

What is technically in question is was it a Heller kit in the timespan for the Group build and is that a criteria?  The kit I have is early 80s but - and it’s a big but (no queueing of “I like big butts and I cannot lie” to play in the background) - the issue is “just” a Humbrol Bobcat issue. That is not a Heller Bobcat nor a Heller Humbrol Bobcat issue even though the latest issue listed on Scalemates is purely Heller. 

So does this latter “fact” technically rule it out or is it in?  

Ladies and Gentlemen I rest the case for the a Prosecution. 

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

@Rob S, with the marvellous Heller collection that you’ve got, surely you can find something suitable to build? That’s almost worst than helping Mrs. RL choose something to wear!! 

Can’t access them now as after taking the photos and someone mentioning works of art I framed them so it’s like full size versions of the Catalogue pages on the wall. 

Edited by Rob S

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury I wish to present the evidence for the Prosecution this is what happens when you have a “Bible” and an “authoritative” internet database as “definitive” reference sources. Both have troubles : the former written by a Prophet not being all knowing and the latter being put together by Enthusiasts but sadly being incomplete and containing errors. 

The kit in question is the same in the first link as in the second. The scales for what ever reason have been listed differently.  The “giveaway” (no folks I have no more Heller kits to give away!) is in the photo of the second Lindberg issue which has the same “Big Moe” decals as in the early 80s Bobcat issue I have. Therefore the age of the kit to fit within the Group Build time period is not in question. 

What is technically in question is was it a Heller kit in the timespan for the Group build and is that a criteria?  The kit I have is early 80s but - and it’s a big but (no queueing of “I like big butts and I cannot lie” to play in the background) - the issue is “just” a Humbrol Bobcat issue. That is not a Heller Bobcat nor a Heller Humbrol Bobcat issue even though the latest issue listed on Scalemates is purely Heller. 

So does this latter “fact” technically rule it out or is it in?  

Ladies and Gentlemen I rest the case for the a Prosecution. 

Rob,

I see Carbonel as a chronicler rather than a prophet.

Found it in the Carbonel listings (once I knew it was a Wabco Dumper), I even found  a picture of it in the Bobcat box here but, Carbonel lists it as ex-Lindberg, originally released in the Bobcat range in 1984, so in terms of timeline, that would make it eligible however, as it wasn't an original Heller mould (we're allowing Bobcat kits if originally moulded by Heller which the majority were), it's ineligible on those grounds, sorry.

OK no worries Rules are Rules but for the record (with homage to Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Nobel Prize in Physics) Rule IV has made my Mortal Enemies List. 

(Also a Sidebar just for interest - in the Airfix Classic GB were the Kitmaster kits allowed?  If so isn’t Rule IV a wee bit inconsistent then?) 

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

OK no worries Rules are Rules but for the record (with homage to Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Nobel Prize in Physics) Rule IV has made my Mortal Enemies List. 

Glad you're taking it so well Rob.

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

(Also a Sidebar just for interest - in the Airfix Classic GB were the Kitmaster kits allowed?  If so isn’t Rule IV a wee bit inconsistent then?) 

I wouldn't know about that Rob, the Airfix Classic GB was nothing to do with me, in fact I never even took part.

• Like 1

Having just finished the Fieseler Storch as my first GB, I've had a look at my stash and I've picked out the Morane Saulnier MS225. It is the Smer boxing from 200x but is originally the Heller kit from 1967.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/sm-r-0838-morane-saulnier-ms-225--144292

I think this is eligible for the GB so this will be my second entry. It ticks all my boxes.

I've had the kit for 10? years in my stash. I need a kick up the bum to actually build it and this is the perfect opportunity.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Richard Tucker said:

Having just finished the Fieseler Storch as my first GB, I've had a look at my stash and I've picked out the Morane Saulnier MS225. It is the Smer boxing from 200x but is originally the Heller kit from 1967.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/sm-r-0838-morane-saulnier-ms-225--144292

I think this is eligible for the GB so this will be my second entry. It ticks all my boxes.

I've had the kit for 10? years in my stash. I need a kick up the bum to actually build it and this is the perfect opportunity.

Good man!  Crack on!

Martin @RidgeRunner may be interested in following your progress on this, he was trying to get a hold of one the Heller boxings.

• Like 1

@rob LyttleBoth the lists have been updated. The subject list is usually trailing behind the build list a little bit, but that's just me being lazy because it takes 10 seconds to update them... But yeah, I thought I had all the builds zero'd in but a couple of days ago I discovered your Delahaye build was missing so it was added late. Corrected now!

• Thanks 1

Probably being unrealistic given my workload and current situation but trying to get the “mojo” going and revisit taking part and had a thought after looking at the list but with a slight variation. 

So after my first “dud” choice my question is it allowable to chose a subject from the list but model it as something in another scale (using a couple of parts from another kit and maybe some tiny scratchbuilding) that preceded what it actually was that was built but itself was never built?  

(Maybe I should put up a Prize for guessing what it is or for bribing the GB Mods to allow it?). 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rob S said:

is it allowable to chose a subject from the list but model it as something in another scale (using a couple of parts from another kit and maybe some tiny scratchbuilding) that preceded what it actually was that was built but itself was never built?  

I'm intrigued! Sounds like a riddle. Model it as something in another scale (using a couple of parts from another kit and maybe some tiny scratchbuilding) that preceded what it actually has got in its pocketses, precious.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

I'm intrigued! Sounds like a riddle. Model it as something in another scale (using a couple of parts from another kit and maybe some tiny scratchbuilding) that preceded what it actually has got in its pocketses, precious.

Funny you say that. “The Two Towers” has just had a rerun on Channel 7 tonight and I had no intention of watching it but of course did!  Surprised at the pace of it actually had forgotten how quickly it moved along!  

• Like 1

On 14/11/2020 at 15:30, Rob S said:

So after my first “dud” choice my question is it allowable to chose a subject from the list but model it as something in another scale (using a couple of parts from another kit and maybe some tiny scratchbuilding) that preceded what it actually was that was built but itself was never built?  

Hm, bit too cryptic for me I'm afraid 🙂 

We should get @Wez into this, as the head honcho. 

On 14/11/2020 at 14:30, Rob S said:

Probably being unrealistic given my workload and current situation but trying to get the “mojo” going and revisit taking part and had a thought after looking at the list but with a slight variation. 

(Maybe I should put up a Prize for guessing what it is or for bribing the GB Mods to allow it?). 

5 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Hm, bit too cryptic for me I'm afraid 🙂 

We should get @Wez into this, as the head honcho. 

I think Rob should just tell us what he wants to do rather than being so cryptic, it would be a damned sight easier to come to a deliberation :hmmm:

19 minutes ago, Wez said:

I think Rob should just tell us what he wants to do rather than being so cryptic, it would be a damned sight easier to come to a deliberation :hmmm:

True, that might help 🙂 

48 minutes ago, Wez said:

PM sent. 

(So the “Secret Project” isn’t revealed!  Not yet anyway.).