F104C Vietnam Sidewinder setup

Planebuilder62

By the time camouflage was introduced, most F-104 missions were ground attack, so the armament was usually one bomb under each wing with tip tanks.

Previously the type operated as a fighter in Vietnam and in this case the armament was Sidewinders on the wingtips and a tank under each wing.

I can't remember any picture of a 104 in Vietnam with launchers under the fuselage 

23 minutes ago, reini said:

Was there even an option for fuselage launchers with the C? G-model had it and I think also J but not sure about C?

Not from the beginning: the ventral catamaran for sidewinders was introduced on the C in 1961 as part of an upgrade named Project Grindstone.

The catamaran was however not popular in USAF use

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/27/2020 at 11:24 AM, Giorgio N said:

By the time camouflage was introduced, most F-104 missions were ground attack, so the armament was usually one bomb under each wing with tip tanks.

Previously the type operated as a fighter in Vietnam and in this case the armament was Sidewinders on the wingtips and a tank under each wing.

I can't remember any picture of a 104 in Vietnam with launchers under the fuselage 

Agreed, Giorgio

1 hour ago, Planebuilder62 said:

In the Italeri set I am building is the centreline store shown below. Does anyone know what is? There are some pictures from Thailand with this on the Starfighters.

Regards Toby

travel pod I guess!

The SUU-21 drops the BDU-33 Practice bomb or one of its close cousins.  Nothing particularly special about that.  However, the SUU-21 pod allows the pilot to practice arming sequence for 'other' weapons that would only be dropped from the centerline station.

... and we all know what kind of load was to be carried on the centreline Polonia of NATO Starfighters...

The SUU-21 was also a very common sight on the F-104 in peacetime and Esci has to be commended for supplying one. The 1/72 offering however was not great, the one in their 1/48 kit was nicer. I'm not sure if many others are available in 1/72, I have a set from Flightpath that unfortunately only offers closed lower doors