L391 Search and Rescue LeO 453S - Update 15mar21 - Flory wash, windows, hand rail, etc

RidgeRunner

3 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Having put this much effort into the build it wouldn't have been right and it would have haunted you. I'd have had to do the same thing. Looks great.

Yes, it would have, Charlie. This is basically how they should be, albeit on two different airframes:

DBBCA63E-648A-4CB6-8542-7493CA37DA4D

It is only a smal different but the shaping of the wing roots means placing the decals incorrectly high with the first decal set. 

Martin

• Like 3

On 09/02/2021 at 10:36, RidgeRunner said:

Bugger!!! I got her decalled yesterday but now realise, laying in bed and thinking, that I got my dimensions wrong for the code :(. It is really too large. I have never found an image of 99-JC from the side so I can't be 100%. However, all other aircraft of the unit, for which there are photos, show small codes. It has to be said, though, that there was a fair bit of variety, particularly with regards to fuselage roundel size. 

I have therefore ordered a re-sized set from Arctic Decals and removed the incorrect ones. All this means I will definetly miss the end date for the GB :(............. One day I'll get one finished in time! Sorry Wez @Wez

Martin

It's a shame Martin but I quite understand, it would be a pity to go to all of the effort you have to leave that niggling away at you, a case of spoiling the ship for an ha'peth of tar.

Looking forward to seeing it finished nonetheless.

• Thanks 1

Hi Martin,

I have been watching the progress of this LeO since the beginning and am itching to see the final result.  But! please don't rush it because of a deadline.  I can curb my impatience 🙂 .

Mike

Edited by Michou
spelling error
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

After leaving her for a couple of weeks I've been back at the LeO ;)

The first job was to give her any overall Flory Dirt wash. This tempers the shine a bit and gets in to the cevices. With the kit having raised panel lines, which I elected not to re-scribe, it has been variable in terms of the effect. Things like the flap and elevator join lines have filled nicely, as have doors, etc. Around the engines it has worked well too. The rudders on these machines were pretty dirty as they were in the slipstream of the engines and so 've tried to accentuate this there too. 

Next I inserted 0.5mm rod on to the pre-drilled holes along the starboard side ready to fit the hand rail. I used 0.5mm Plastruct rod for this. It isn't prefect but it will work for me. 

I also dug out the Kristal Klear (KK) in the fuselage windows and refilled them with fresh filler. In the photo below it is still setting so it is still opaque.  

I'm edging closer and hope to get the extra bits finally panyed by tomorrow. Thereafter it is contruction time and the fitting of the aerials 

LeO62

Martin

• Like 4

• RidgeRunner changed the title to L391 Search and Rescue LeO 453S - Update 15mar21 - Flory wash, windows, hand rail, etc
17 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I used 0.5mm Plastruct rod for this. It isn't prefect but it will work for me. 

Maybe not perfect (I’m not sure what size it should be, maybe thinner) but It looks really good, and details like this really make a difference.

having just done a Bf 109 in the Heller GB, I’m less worried about raised panel lines than I used to be, a limitation of the technology of the time I guess, they have a certain ‘classic’ charm of their own, and are less intrusive than (some) newer inscribed panel lines.

Overall, it looks excellent with the weathering you’ve added.

1 hour ago, fightersweep said:

Finishing line now in sight!

Thankfully I'm over it now, mate! She is in RFI (posted yesterday).

Thanks for your kind comments.

M