L391 Search and Rescue LeO 453S - Update 15mar21 - Flory wash, windows, hand rail, etc

RidgeRunner

5 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

The Jean-michel Meunier book is now on order

Where from?

By the way that picture you're using is in Tome 2 of the Crosnier book on page 170, there's another picture above it showing the tailplane of another aircraft, it's a clear shot and slightly larger but not, I suspect, large enough for your needs.

• Thanks 1

So, we are underway :), and while I cant get in to cutting stryene just yet, I want to set out a little more about my build. The kit is as you can see in the title and a more detailed look at the parts follows:

Looking nice and clean. I'm resisting the urge to scribe the panel lines as the subject machine was laquered silver overall - and I'm being lazy! ;)

8F00F26B-4A2C-4630-A474-B9DE27DAFF85

The decals are nice but I wont be using them. I'll be getting a customised set from Mika at Arctic Decals. I have Berna roundels on order too.

7DF5ACA5-EEB4-418D-8BF0-F317FAFF0A5E

I have acquired some C-47/DC-3 engine parts from James @1903flight very kindly. This aircraft flew with P&W 1830-67s. 

6D643EED-1827-47E8-81DB-23ACAF7EB98E

However, I will also use the cowlings from this Renaissance set that I was alerted to by Wez @Wez. I haven't yet decided whether to use the resin props. 

rf72054_leo_453

I've also ordered the 3D-printed undercarriage from Renaissance to ease (I hope) my assembly of what I always consider to be the fiddliest!

train_453-455_05

For reference I have ordred the Jean-michel Meunier book on LeO 45 variants (Volume 2). An expensive purchase but I cant resist French aviation books! ;). Scott @Jinxman and Mike @Michou have also helped out with some reference material. 

My subject machine will be "99-JB" of the SASM99 based at Blida, Algeria. I dont yet know the serial number and I hope that "the book" will help me. if not I will go for a generic number for the tail numbering. A little background is:

"This air unit is the heir to the air sea rescue sections created after the Second World War when France, signatory to the O.A.C.I. (International Civil Aviation Organization) acquired the necessary means to meet its international commitments. Consequently, the Superior Council of French Aviation Safety requested the attachment of the SAR to the Civil and Commercial Aviation Secretariat (SGACC). The military (Air Force) keep the operational part. It has the necessary materials and crews to immediately undertake any research within the limits of the areas for which it is responsible and including those located in French Africa. At the end of World War II, the Air Force therefore set up an air-sea rescue service (SAMAR) subsequently reinforced by an air-land search and rescue organization (SATER). This service is first based in Provence (Salon de Provence) then in Algeria in Blida under the name of S.A.S.M. 99 in February 1946. It is placed under the dependence of the Air Defense Zone 903 having as air assets three Vickers Wellington, old twin-engined aircraft withdrawn from service in 1948. A Halifax Handley-Page detached from Bordeaux (veteran of the "Tunisia" groups or "Guyenne") takes over the interim while waiting for the provision of aircraft of the Lioré and Olivier LeO 453 type. Three aircraft are first used and in 1953 the unit has six aircraft enabling it to operate. fulfill its mission. The S.A.S.M. is then transferred to Algiers-Maison Blanche and, in March 1954, to Boufarik where it merges with the GLA 45 liaison group which will include two squadrons. One for an air link and another for sea rescue made up of 8 LeO 45 twin engines. A redesign of this set will give birth to a GLA 45 and a new S.A.S.M. 99. In February 1955, S.A.S.M. sees the replacement of LeO 45"(tranlated from a French web site, courtesy F. De Richemond).

These SAR LeOs were just about the last in service anywhere.  

My first job is to decide on the green shade for the interiors. This is quoted as Apple Green (Pomme Vert).  If "the book" or the references I've acquired dont help I will make a judgement.

Back soon! Good luck everyone!

Martin

• Like 9

On 9/28/2020 at 9:57 AM, RidgeRunner said:

3. under-nose antenna bullet

Don't know if it's helpful but the DH Dragon Rapide kit I'm working on has a bullet antenna that looks a lot like the one in your photo. 7mm long. Yours if you want it.

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Martin, I feel bad I gave you bad info on the B-18 Cowlings. I thought they would work. 

No problem at all, mate. All suggestions and ideas are good :)

Hi all, 

While I appreciate the detail in this kit, considering that it is 55+ years old, the fiddly cockpit has challenged me today. I have to say, though, that the various bits for the cockpit make up to being a reasonably busy "office". As is my way, I've opted to construct the cockpit first, before applying any form of paint. It makes it fiddly but it avoids my inevitable thin cement spillages and subsequent paint stripping. This means that later, once painted, I will need to install the transparencies along side the nose as well as the two circular windows to the upper rear of the cockpit. My fingers are crossed that they will go in okay! I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised but there were many injection points that need some attention. The seats are basic and will need some Tamiya tape belts. I yet need to work out what went in to the rear gun aperture given that the gun was removed.

Right now the two fuselage halves have the parts curing before attempting the paint. For the colour I'm opting for Colourcoats ACSM12 Green, which is strictly a Russian Mil colour but it seems to represent Vert Pomme quite well to my eyes.  Here she is:

4C3425AC-E766-41A7-AC54-4C45EC3C3FED

I'm still pondering the tail cone shortfall but will wait until I get my Meunier book before I match the drawings to the kit and size up the issue. 

Well, that's my hour's worth for today!

Martin

• Like 5

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

For the colour I'm opting for Colourcoats ACSM12 Green

Having chewed this over For a while I reckon I’ll be going with Humbrol 80 instead. The Colourcoats is a bit too brash, I think :(

What I do need to do now is decide what intervals I will put in the rear Aperture and how I can adapt the transparency which, I think, was modified on these machines. This means little more will be done until I get my Meunièr book.

Martin

While pawing over my Grossnir Tome II book last night the realisation came to me that these LeOs had additional windows added! You can see below that on the port side there are a number of small rectangular windows pierced in to the main fuselage section. Presumably as these had been modified as fast transports at some point the additional light was needed. 

IMG_4913

Credit: Eric Moreau archive

It isnt a problem but I'm glad I noticed now! What I need now is a set of fine square section needle files! Any ideas about good ones? It is also clear that the upper gun opening was modified as it lacked the pronounced deep cut to the rear. That'll need filling.

IMG_4914

This is turning out to be more of a surgery jb than I had hoped! :(

Thanks for looking :)

Martin

• Like 1

A little more time spent on her. I've cropped and resized to the dimensions of the kit, accounting for the short tail, and started to measure out where I need to be cutting my windows. It also gives me a much better idea of decal size and loccation for the codesd roundel :).

SideViewPhoto001

Martin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

You can see below that on the port side there are a number of small rectangular windows pierced in to the main fuselage section

I can now see that they are on both sides, whereas I thought it was potr side only! Bugger!!! It seems - if I were to want more detail - that I need to build a floor and add four crew seats! I may not bother you cant see in to those minute windows! 

Martin, I know it’s a bit of a cop out, however you could also just use small rectangles of black decal strip to make those fuselage windows. Yeah, I know not as good as cutting and glazing them but imagine the time it would save you! 

On the other hand, I wonder if Evergreen sell some hollow quad tuning of similar size that you could insert and blend into the fuselage contours. At least they would all be same size? 

Cheers. Dave 

1 minute ago, Rabbit Leader said:

On the other hand, I wonder if Evergreen sell some hollow quad tuning of similar size that you could insert and blend into the fuselage contours. At least they would all be same size? 

A fine idea, Dave!!! Mind you, the cutting and blending might be as much of a pain as simply drilling out and filing?

2 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

A fine idea, Dave!!! Mind you, the cutting and blending might be as much of a pain as simply drilling out and filing?

Or ..... cut out rectangles and insert clear sheet. Then mask off the windows?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Or ..... cut out rectangles and insert clear sheet. Then mask off the windows?

There’s plenty of ways to skin a cat... (apologies to all Cat lovers!). 

6 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

;) mine is hanging around my feet for food! ;)

Ha!! just like the Missus, always trying to gain some attention when you’re trying to do some modelling! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Something that worked for me in a similar situation on a Bristol Beaufort (relevant post here, but scroll down a bit to see the cleaned up version!) was heating up a screwdriver tip and pushing it through the fuselage, melting the plastic. If you keep it still until it's quite cold it should leave a well-defined rectangular hole after you remove it and clean up the edges. If you can cut a bit of brass to exactly the right rectangular cross-section that should do the job in one go. The windows look small enough to glaze with some canopy or PVA glue across the opening.

If you are tempted, I recommend practising first...!

Regards,

Adrian

[edit - removed double posting]

6 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

It is also clear that the upper gun opening was modified as it lacked the pronounced deep cut to the rear. That'll need filling.

So this got me thinking… off I trot to have a look at what very limited reference material I have on the captured Lutwaffe 451T “OK+ZD” that I’m building, and lo! the dorsal aperture appears to be modified in the same way, I hadn’t noticed. I think I may be able to have a go at this with a bit of plastic card and some Milliput. It’s hard to tell if the pop-up canopy was modified in any way. I’ve been trying to work out what to do with this bit, the 20mm cannon was absent but I was planning to leave the gun mount in place, unfortunately though I seem to have lost part no. 49, i.e. half the mount. Sad times. No evidence of additional windows on the port side of the fuselage that I can find, relief!

Edited by TonyOD