L096/218 Caudron-Renault 714 The Wooden Blunder **Finished**

JOCKNEY

Made largely of wood so as not to upset production of existing aircraft it initially showed promise and was awarded a production contract, however the underpowered and unreliable engines proved its downfall. The airframe was unable to accept larger units and its rate of climb and manoeuvrability suffered according..

On 18 May 1940, 35 Caudrons were delivered to the Polish Warsaw Squadron, the Groupe de Chasse polonais I/145, stationed at the Mions airfield. After just 23 sorties, adverse opinion of the fighter was confirmed by frontline pilots who expressed concerns that it was seriously underpowered and was no match for contemporary German fighters.

On 25 May, only a week after it was introduced, French Minister of War Guy La Chambre ordered all C.714s to be withdrawn from active service. However, since the French authorities had no other aircraft to offer, the Polish pilots ignored the order and continued to fly the Caudrons. Despite flying a fighter hopelessly outdated compared to the Messerschmitt Bf 109E, the Polish pilots scored 12 confirmed and three unconfirmed victories in three battles between 8 June and 11 June, losing nine in the air and nine more on the ground. Among the aircraft shot down were four Dornier Do 17 bombers, and also three Messerschmitt Bf 109 and five Messerschmitt Bf 110 fighters. (Above info Wikipedia)

So here's the kit

IMG_5263

The kit is still in its sealed bag

IMG_5264

Instruction, naturally in French 

IMG_5265

However, decals are missing, so off to search the interweb

Cheers Pat

• Like 16

Great to see the C.R. 714 on here Pat, oh so French and with a Polish ‘fight at all costs’ attitude, there’s a lot to like with this build thread. 
Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Instruction, naturally in French 

Pat,

Another good choice, it has to be in Polish markings as a tribute to those brave men and their tenacious attitude.

As for the instructions being in French, I learnt more from them than I'd learnt at school and it went on to serve me in good stead in my professional career working on French aircraft and equipment.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Another French oddity. It looks more like a sport flyer than a fighting machine. What the pilots thought of it on delivery is anyones guess.

The underwing gun packs look like afterthoughts but I guess the airframe was so tiny there was nowhere else to put the guns. 

This GB is certainly going to be an eye opener on many different levels.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Nice one Pat another one of those French aircraft that fell out of the ugly tree!

.... and hit all the branches on the way down! 
Now we shouldn’t be too mean... have you seen his cousin , she’s not a bad looker! 

• Like 2

I also think it has a certain charm.

Tony is spot on, this was based upon The Caudron racing planes, they shoehorned the guns onto the wings, unfortunately whilst it may have been a good racer, as Pat has already stated, it was an awful fighter.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

However, decals are missing, so off to search the interweb

you can have my set if you want.

1 they are printed mostly in register, most noticeably not are the tiny roundels for the top of the wings

2. they seem free of cracks

3 but they have yellowed a bit, the old UV light/ in the window trick might clear them

PM me if you want them

• Like 1

Ah! Been waiting for one of these to appear. I'm also firmly in the weirdo camp. I actually quite like it, and it happens to remind me of the Percival Mew Gull. Hardly surprising considering the racing heritage. It certainly has that air of desperation about it though.

Another one I'll be pulling a chair up for.

Steve

• Like 3

Hi Pat,

it is a really sexy fighter, and the pilots who flew it had to make do, as there was nothing else...

The cockpit is pretty bare, and because there is no wall behind the seat, the model looks like a two sitter... 

But that would entail quite a bit of scratch building to rectify.

Decals have been printed by Carpena in the past, but they may well be OOP nowadays.

I am sure you will have fun!

JR

• Like 3

14 hours ago, TonyW said:

Another French oddity. It looks more like a sport flyer than a fighting machine. What the pilots thought of it on delivery is anyones guess.

The underwing gun packs look like afterthoughts

They were based on Caudron Racers I believe, so you aren't too far off on the gun-packs being afterthoughts. 

• Like 1

On 28/09/2020 at 20:49, JOCKNEY said:

Any idea what the humbrol interior colours would be Cockpit and wheel wells ?

1. afaics, the cockpit was a light grey, about the same as RAF Light Aircraft Grey

2. the wheel wells colour appear to have followed the French Air Force practice of being the same colour as the underneath of the wings, pale blue-grey. This applies to the inside of the covers as well, but the u/c legs seem to be a chrome-green (fixed part) and aluminium silver (sliding parts)

3. did those decals/transfers ever arrive?

• Like 2

Yes apologies Fred, i hadn't pressed send !

Actually the instructions from Heller has the interior as Slate Gray, so in keeping with the Spirit of the classic GB, i will follow their instructions so its finished in keeping with the period.

I haven't always done this as my recent B-17 "Bit of Lace" Airfix would have had you painting bits Violet thank goodness for period colour photos !

Cheers Pat

And we are off !

IMG_5299

I think it's safe to say the glue has seen better days !

IMG_5305

Paint colours from the original Heller instructions 

More gluing later after "Match of the Day"

Cheers Pat

• Like 6

Made some progress last night, after the Jockney household had gone to bed.

Fitted the seat along with foil harnesses, which strangely overhangs the back of the part it is glued to

IMG_5306

This of course adds to the degree of difficulty getting the fuselage over it into position.

Which is where the fun really starts, the fit between wings and fuselage is awful either the wind parts are far too large or the corresponding gap in the fuselage is too small, and I mean in every direction. I should have taken a picture but I really wanted to make some progress last night so just set to with a rasp, (yes really) to make some less than subtle adjustments !

IMG_5307

So here is the result of last nights endeavours. A fair bit of filling still required.

I managed to naturally break the pitot tube off in the process and more importantly managed not to lose it !

IMG_5308

Oh and I am pleased to announce that the prop spins freely, one does have standards don't you know !

Cheers Pat

• Like 8

Next instalment, 

Last night having previously dipped the canopy in Klear I fitted it which was a bit of a struggle trying not to dislodge the seat or break the ginsite off the nose, but the fits good and its now staying where it is, I'm not going to try to get it back out to mask it !

IMG_5311

Also fitted the undercarriage which was a bit of a struggle, I'm also not convinced I've got it right but it's staying as it is, as I superglued everything together to give it a bit of rigidity.

Despite boasting earlier that I hadn't lost the pitot tube..... yes you guessed it, it must have  fell off when I moved it off the dining room table, properly lost, so I will need to make a replacement. However I did manage to remove 4 tiny gun barrels from the sprues and fit them without loss, so it's not all bad news 👍

IMG_5312

Painting next, I'll fit the 2 long ariels later as they look very breakable and losable 

I have to say the look of this aircraft is growing on me !

Cheers Pat

• Like 10

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I have to say the look of this aircraft is growing on me !

Hi Pat,

well, I bloody well hope so!

After being disparaging in your thread title (Wot, blunder?!!), you begrudgingly admit to this scrumptious 'aeroplane' being somewhat to your liking....

If I recall correctly, one of the hundred-odd year wars between France and the PERFIDIOUS Albion did start because of a far more minor offence...

Although no doubt it must be a destabilizing Scottish ploy.

Whatever, it is a stunning-looking plane, even if not much of a fighter.

JR

• Haha 1

Nice progress Par even though it does seem quite adventurous at times. The long nosed Caudron will fit nicely with the flat nosed Amiot. You thinking about doing any other French breeds of Avalon  dog after these two mutts? 
Cheers.. Dave

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice progress Pat even though it does seem quite adventurous at times. The long nosed Caudron will fit nicely with the flat nosed Amiot. You thinking about doing any other French breeds of Avalon  dog after these two mutts? 
Cheers.. Dave

Don't forget I've also got the other Caudron - Renault C635 "Simoun" 

Or are you trying to get me to commit to another build ? 😉

That’s tight, the lovely Simoun. Quite a good looking French aircraft, that one must have been designed by Mrs. Caudron or more likely one of his four mistress’!! 

• Haha 1