Hart Swedish-style - 1/72 AZmodel

Patrik

Test fit of the exhaust pipes. Took me three evenings to make them. First one spent with prototyping, based (rather unwisely, as obvious from the second picture) on the original kit part. Second to drink down the frustration from the first one, and third one to do the job properly by the approved testfit-bend-repeat method.

20210106-DSC-0112.jpg

20210109-DSC-0114.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 8

On 1/1/2021 at 10:35 PM, Patrik said:

Absolutely no magic, Toby. Brush painted Revell 90 enamel, which I selected 20+ years ago as the colour closest to my own idea of Silver Dope. By the way, it is the one and only Revell enamel I have ever used.

It looks like a nice smooth finish, look forward to seeing you progress, i have one of these to build do.

Colin

On 1/1/2021 at 11:35 PM, Patrik said:

Absolutely no magic, Toby. Brush painted Revell 90 enamel, which I selected 20+ years ago as the colour closest to my own idea of Silver Dope. By the way, it is the one and only Revell enamel I have ever used.

Forgot to mention. Two coats are absolute minimum. Sometimes, depending on the production batch of the enamel, and most probably also on the type of the kit surface, I end up with three coats. I suspect the colour of the plastic plays part too, but then the colour may also indicate different kind of plastic = different smoothness of the surface.

Edited by Patrik

Working on the proto-head-up-display. The stick indicated by the green arrow was quite probably fuel gauge. But would someone recognize the extra instrument in front of the cockpit (red arrow)? Altimeter? The Harts were used as dive bombers in Sweden, so altimeter in the eye level could have made sense.

Apropos - extra instrument. Do you know the feeling, when you manufacture very small part, not more than one cubic millimetre in size, watch over it very carefully during all production steps and then, when you are about to glue it on the destined place, it goes "plink" from the tweezers and disappears? Happened to me today with the extra instrument. Fortunately, after ten anxious minutes, I found it on the floor.

20210110-DSC-0119.jpg

headup-display.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 5

56 minutes ago, Patrik said:

when you manufacture very small part

How many times has that got to happen before one relents and makes more that one, make six...don't feed the 'monster'.

Sorry, no idea what the arrowed parts are.

Stuart

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

How many times has that got to happen before one relents and makes more that one, make six...don't feed the 'monster'.

Sorry, no idea what the arrowed parts are.

Stuart

Oh, I really do hate scratchbuilding several identical parts. The ten minutes of anxiety were fully worth it.

Edited by Patrik
  • Haha 1

Hart on the rack again, this time in earnest. I have to correct myself. The interplane struts are indeed short. Not too much, around 1-2 mm, and not all of them. Just the rear Is from the N = V + I equation. I am correcting them now.

20210117-DSC-0164.jpg

• Like 2

Cracking work, this is progressing well, the exhausts look good . Might have to give Revell 90 a go. I use Humbrol enamels usually and never got on with the Revell paints but bought one and when thinned a bit seems okay and I use it quite a lot now do will try the silver too.

Thanks for the heads up.

Chris

25 minutes ago, wombat said:

Interesting jig. Home build or bought from ...?

Christmas present from my loving wife, who accepted my suggestion with great relief in the pre-Christmas lockdown.

https://www.vertigo-miniatures.com/vertigo/eshop/15-1-JIGS/0/5/845-EVO-BI-7248

• Like 1

Hart biplane.

The second photo shows the details of the completed head-up display (sans windscreen), including early mark of Backspegel rear hemisphere surveillance device.

20210123-DSC-0171.jpg

20210123-DSC-0174.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Also useful when reversing...

Indeed. I was secretly hoping the Swedish term would be less revealing. Nevertheless, 10 points for Adrian.😀

• Thanks 1

Not too much is missing. I plan to finish the build over the weekend.

I tried to take the first photo in such a way that it revealed the nice upper wing details. And the second photo then shows one prominent part that has not been exhibited here yet.

20210129-DSC-0193.jpg

20210129-DSC-0190.jpg

• Like 6

On 1/10/2021 at 8:13 PM, Patrik said:

Do you know the feeling, when you manufacture very small part, not more than one cubic millimetre in size, watch over it very carefully during all production steps and then, when you are about to glue it on the destined place, it goes "plink" from the tweezers and disappears?

Yes all too well. And I don’t even have a carpet just a faded grey rug.

Great build so far.

29 minutes ago, wombat said:

I hadn’t realised this kit had so many big issues until this thread. So options for the Hart are this kit with all its problems, the Airfix fossil, or (ahem) the merlin kit? 

For Swedish Hart the AZ kit is the only plastic game in town, unfortunately. There was rather nice resin kit by PH Model (I still have their Swedish Osprey), but it's for sure not less laborious than the AZ. 

For standard Kestrel Hart in 1/72, the best option now is most probably the A-model shortrun, though I still have to build one to confirm it. Then the Aeroclub Hart is still surely not bad either. And then we all hope AMG will downscale their excellent 1/48 Hart soon. I do not count the AZ Hawker Hart, which in fact requires you to cut out the cockpit decking of the Swedish Hart and mate it to similarly butchered Hind fuselage. Which you do not find, until you purchase the eye catching box and open it at home.

Edited by Patrik
  • Sad 1

I didn't have the AZ Hart, but did have the Hart Fighter, which appears to be a standard Hart fuselage and needs no butchering at all.  I did add an extra gun on the starboard side to make a Demon, but now know that that really does require some butchering, but to lower the rear fuselage - of the Hind too and all similar variants.  A 1/72 Demon with the lower fuselage is still missing - I'm not sure about the Aeroclub one but suspect it may have preceded John Adams noticing this.

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

I didn't have the AZ Hart, but did have the Hart Fighter, which appears to be a standard Hart fuselage and needs no butchering at all.  I did add an extra gun on the starboard side to make a Demon, but now know that that really does require some butchering, but to lower the rear fuselage - of the Hind too and all similar variants.  A 1/72 Demon with the lower fuselage is still missing - I'm not sure about the Aeroclub one but suspect it may have preceded John Adams noticing this.

If it is the same AZ kit we are both talking about, and I think it is (have a look at the third post in the link below please), then it must have been the Hind fuselage, that did not need butchering to become Hart Fighter. Because it shares the same inclined rear cockpit, though ignoring the difference in the rear fuselage. But then, I have to admit, I am not sure if the lower rear fuselage applied for the small batch of the interim Hart Fighters already, or just for the genuine Demons.

On 1/10/2021 at 8:13 PM, Patrik said:

Working on the proto-head-up-display. The stick indicated by the green arrow was quite probably fuel gauge. But would someone recognize the extra instrument in front of the cockpit (red arrow)? Altimeter? The Harts were used as dive bombers in Sweden, so altimeter in the eye level could have made sense.

headup-display.jpg

My fixed-wing flying is a very long time ago, but I don’t think that’s an altimeter.  Looks more like a turn & slip indicator to me, which feels right for a dive bomber: if your aircraft is slipping left or right when you release the bomb, you’ll still miss even if the target is smack in the middle of the cross-hairs.

Lovely job you're making if it, anyway!

• Thanks 1

Hart Fighter was the designation of the first series of Demons K1950-K1955 (just 6 of them), that missed the starboard front gun. The rear cockpit had been modified in the Demon fashion already. If the same was true for the rear fuselage decking, it is not clear to me. From the available photos, I would say yes, but photos could be deceiving because of the various viewing angles.

Now back to my build. Decals in progress, so I am sharing the last photo here, before inviting you to RFI. I just hope the weather improves, as I plan for outdoor photo session.

20210130-DSC-0200.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 6