Battle of Britain Airshow, Headcorn September 2020

Alpha Delta 210

To complement Latinbear's images from Headcorn yesterday, please see below some of my pictures from today.

It was showery with gusts up to 25mph, but despite that the show proceeded as planned.

I'm afraid that despite layers, gloves and a beanie hat I baled out after the fighters because I was shivering so much that I could barely operate the camera! Other people had the same idea and there were quite a few cars leaving just after 14.30! I was surprised that the car showed an outside temperature of 13 degrees Celsius. 

I have a ticket for tomorrow as well, but will check the forecast tomorrow morning before I set off!

DSC_4987.jpg

DSC_5025.jpg

DSC_5029.jpg

I apologise for the number of Dak shots, but I'm a sucker for a Dak and it was such a wonderful display!

DSC_5031.jpg

DSC_5036.jpg

DSC_5055.jpg

DSC_5076.jpg

DSC_5098.jpg

DSC_5103.jpg

DSC_5174.jpg

DSC_5202.jpg

DSC_5246.jpg

DSC_5280.jpg

DSC_5283.jpg

DSC_5323.jpg

DSC_5336.jpg

DSC_5341.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Parabat said:

Wonderful shots, I had wondered what the day would be like with the high winds. I'm sure they could have got the Storch to fly backwards! 

No such thing as too many pics of the Dakota. 

Thanks Parabat. I must confess that I wasn't terribly optimistic that the show would go ahead due to the gusts, but I'm pleased it did! It is a lovely venue and despite the social distancing, there was a nice atmosphere - a bit like Old Warden and absolutely nothing like Duxford!!

The Storch probably would have flown backwards!!

I'm pleased that share my opinion of the Dak! It was fantastic to see these big, old birds tearing down the grass strip on their take off run!

28 minutes ago, Latinbear said:

I recognise those grey skies! Shame it was so cold and the favourable forecast of earlier in the week didn't materialise but it looks like you got more action than I did. A very nice set. 

Ha ha! Were you wrapped up as well?

I was amazed to see some die-hards wearing shorts!

Well done for getting any pictures at all, let alone decent ones.

A friend and I got the three day ticket thinking that there would be a fair chance of getting at least one decent day. Ho! Ho!. Despite being dressed for the Arctic we baled out even before the Daks.

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John R said:

Well done for getting any pictures at all, let alone decent ones.

A friend and I got the three day ticket thinking that there would be a fair chance of getting at least one decent day. Ho! Ho!. Despite being dressed for the Arctic we baled out even before the Daks.

John

Thanks John. Like you, I bought the 3-day ticket, thinking it represented good value. I expected to go at least twice, but only made it on Saturday! I loved the Dak display, but praise must go to all the pilots who flew in such difficult conditions. Due to the shivering, I had a stiff neck when I got home!

3 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

I had a stiff neck when I got home!

I went and wallowed in a hot bath!

Regarding the piloting I had great sympathy for the Stampe formation as it poured with rain just before they took off and thay really got bounced around in the air.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John R said:

I went and wallowed in a hot bath!

Regarding the piloting I had great sympathy for the Stampe formation as it poured with rain just before they took off and thay really got bounced around in the air.

I wish I had thought of that!!

When they were holding at the end of the runway, the leader of the Stampe formation asked how long the shower was forecast to last. When he was told 10 minutes, he asked for permission to hold until it passed. It can't have been pleasant for them when the rain resumed in those strong gusts! Very impressive airmanship.

9 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Great shots! Thanks for sharing. Love the photos of "Drag Em Oot". It's weathered finish looks so authentic.

Steve

Thanks very much for the kind words, Steve. The conditions were not conducive to photography, but i wanted some kind of record of the event! I agree that "Drag Em Oot" looks wonderful. The sight (and sound) of seeing those two beauties tearing down the grass strip on their take off run was wonderful!

Thanks for sharing your images. It sounds like the weather made it more like something to endure than enjoy.

This does make me think.... If Headcorn could put on an air-show, why couldn't Duxford? Are the two sites radically different from each other? It's a little ironic that the weekend of the Duxford air-show, the weather was very close to perfect for the event. 

Chris.   

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending information.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, F-32 said:

Great work sticking it out in such difficult conditions

Thanks F-32, although I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't stick it out until the very end....

6 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Thanks for sharing your images. It sounds like the weather made it more like something to endure than enjoy.

This does make me think.... If Headcorn could put on an air-show, why couldn't Duxford? Are the two sites radically different from each other? It's a little ironic that the weekend of the Duxford air-show, the weather was very close to perfect for the event. 

Chris.   

Thanks Chris. At times, it did feel that i was enduring it, rather than enjoying it! That said, I'm still pleased that I went.

The organisers at Headcorn claimed that "they capped the capacity on each of the days to better ensure social distancing". They also say that they had "increased the size of the show ground to over double the original size" to ensure social distancing. They had marked squares on the grass for each group of six people to occupy. The stewards ensured that only alternative squares were occupied. They also kept the fence line clear. I think that they might have picked up tips from the successful Old Warden events.

I dont know why IWM couldn't have taken similar measures. Perhaps the economics wouldn't have worked?

7 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Thanks for posting, some very nice pictures of the Dakotas-despite the weather. I like the shots of the Dakotas together.

Hi Colin. I'm pleased that you enjoyed my shots. The pairs shots of the Dakotas were my favourites as well because their display was the highlight for me.

Another lovely selection Leigh and well done for sticking it out as long as you did. Hope your circulation has returned :)

Like you and others, I too very much like the Dak duo - v nice!

Mark

• Like 1