285 Curtiss SBC-4 Helldiver

Wez

My next entry for this GB will be the Curtiss Helldiver biplane from 1980, pictures will be posted once I've retrieved it from the Hoard.

This one has been in the Hoard since 1980, the decals are shot so I bought some Starfighter decals for it, whilst I was at it I bought some Starfighter resin goodies as an incentive to get it made.

Fortunately the cat's cradle rigging isn't too tricky on this, hopefully it will be a colourful addition to the GB.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, fightersweep said:

Always the selling point for Matchbox biplanes for me. Still have a soft spot for my first, the Siskin IIIa.

The Siskin is such a lovely kit.

3 hours ago, Wez said:

My next entry for this GB will be the Curtiss Helldiver biplane from 1980, pictures will be posted once I've retrieved it from the Hoard.

This one has been in the Hoard since 1980, the decals are shot so I bought some Starfighter decals for it, whilst I was at it I bought some Starfighter resin goodies as an incentive to get it made.

Fortunately the cat's cradle rigging isn't too tricky on this, hopefully it will be a colourful addition to the GB.

So, you're going for a US Navy SBC.

I've got some photos of the Cleveland being towed across the Canadian-US border before delivery.

Chris

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

So, you're going for a US Navy SBC.

I've got some photos of the Cleveland being towed across the Canadian-US border before delivery.

Chris

Thanks Chris, that'll be useful for the details

Nice edition Wez. Quite a strange type for both Matchbox and Heller to produce, however that trait made these two manufacturers very popular back in the day. Will be good to see this one being assembled here... all the best.

Cheers.. Dave 

Here's the kit along with the goodies courtesy of Starfighter Models which include a resin cockpit, short SBC-4 cowling and engine and decals...  

IMG_20200927_181351cr

• Like 9

Great choice Wez, and not a kit ive built before in either Heller or Matchbox.

Those Canadian / US customs guys were pretty strict making a plane land, searched and pushed across the border... Little chance of sneeking booze or cigarettes past these guys !

Good luck Wez

cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

How was this plane painted in reality?  And what is the equivalent of this paint in the world of model enamels / acrylics?

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

Article build analogue model with resin cockpit, short SBC-4 cowling and engine and decals:

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/12560-Heller-1-72-SBC-4-Helldiver---poslednijj-biplan-firmy-Curtiss.html

WIP topic:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67825&highlight=

Ah, another unconventional choice. You MUST build it in US Navy colours. That would be the only participant with golden wings and stars, I reckon. And it would please me tremendously...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aardvark said:

How was this plane painted in reality?  And what is the equivalent of this paint in the world of model enamels / acrylics?

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

Article build analogue model with resin cockpit, short SBC-4 cowling and engine and decals:

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/12560-Heller-1-72-SBC-4-Helldiver---poslednijj-biplan-firmy-Curtiss.html

WIP topic:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67825&highlight=

Serge,

According to the Heller instructions they were painted light grey with random patches of green.

Many thanks for the links.

1 hour ago, Toryu said:

Ah, another unconventioanl choice. You MUST build it in US Navy colours. That would be the only participant with golden wings and stars, I reckon. And it would please me tremendously...

Well colour you happy then!  The Starfighter decals includes two aircraft in the Golden Wings scheme, to me the VS-2 scheme whilst they were assigned to the Lexington in 1939 is the most colourful, red cowling, aluminium dope fuselage and lower wing, lemon yellow tailplane.

• Like 2

Hi,

super choice!

Nothing like some US Navy yellow wings with all the garish trimmings to brighten up a day!

I sadly missed buying this great model at my LMS. Just as well, as I didn't know some goodies had been produced for the kit.

There is always tomorrow!

Have fun!!!

JR

I don't really know why I bought this kit in the first place really?  Curiosity value maybe?

Anyway, it has languished in the Heller Hoard since I first bought it in 1980!  My interest in it was rekindled partly out of wanting to do something more unusual for this GB and the fact the Starfighter Decals released some decals for USN aircraft in the very attractive Golden Wings scheme.

Fuselage parts:

IMG_20201002_140751cr

Wings...

IMG_20201002_140818cr

...and the aftermarket stuffs, all of this is produced by Starfighter...

IMG_20201002_140552cr

...I haven't posted a picture of the canopy, it's there and in good condition but if anyone has the Falcon vacform replacement going spare, I'd be interested.

I don't have any references to they type other than those provided by Chris @dogsbody and linked to by Serge @Aardvark earlier in the thread so hopefully I won't get too hung up on the details.

• Like 3

Two more references if you like buying books:

https://www.amazon.com/Air-Enthusiast-Five-William-Green/dp/B001LNHR1U

Contains only one USN profile (5-S-7) but offers a cutaway drawing and the full history.

https://www.abebooks.com/Target-Special-Wings-Fleet-Navy-Marine/19747373029/bd

Several very good profiles including a 4-aspect drawing of the very attractive 'U.S.S. Enterprise - Air Group Commander' plane.

It looks expensive in my link but may be available for less somewhere else.

Cheers, Michael

I've just bought the matchbox kit from a train and die-cast car shop today in Melton Mowbray for the princely sum of £5. I was really pleased that we spotted the shop. I had no idea it was there. The decals are also shot. It joins the queue in the stash....  I love seeing those photos of the planes being driven across the border. 

On 9/27/2020 at 6:56 PM, Wez said:

Here's the kit along with the goodies courtesy of Starfighter Models which include a resin cockpit, short SBC-4 cowling and engine and decals...  

Very interesting stuff! Will be keeping an eye on this, too!

Hmmm... I wonder if the detail set would fit in the Matchbox kit... 🤔

• 1 month later...