No 201 M.D 450 Ouragan 1 version 2 décorations +++ Finished +++

Jinxman

Here is my offering, kind of decided by the excellent looking decal sheet from the 2012 release. The three options will be from three different boxings; 1981 initial release, 1986 Heller/Humbrol, and the 2012 one.

Décorations you ask? Patrouille de France 1956 in flight mode, Toofani from 1957 and Heyl Ha' Avir (1956) versions on the ground. I'll use decals from other AM sheets for the bits I haven't got, and I might make use of a Graphy Air etch set on the Israeli version. Not starting until I get my OH-6DA in the Chopper GB finished, so parked up and awaiting orders for now. 😀

50386303622_ffef95c4bd_c.jpg

• Like 15

Wow... three Ouragan’s (it’s amazing what Apple's auto correct wants to change this word too - especially when you leave out the ‘u’!!).
Excellent stuff and you’ve gotta love that new decal sheet, that’s tempting just on its own. Welcome aboard and we all look forward to watching these three getting built.

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

...and here we go. Assuming it is ok to lump my three builds in one spot as they are all the same type, I am starting with the Patrouille de France version. The instructions say it is for n˚ 302 EC 3/4 «Flandre», Bremgarten, September 1956. I can't find any pics of this particular aeroplane, so I am going to use the kit decals as they are presented. The pics I have seen of similar machines have definite differences to the decals in various respects, however the thrust of this quick-build is a machine in flight, and to that end I have an pdf base and some acrylic rod to play with.

The glue pot is primed and ready!

50411790441_9df5124e86_c.jpg

50411843166_2a7ddeab7b_c.jpg

• Like 9

I’ve one ordered and on its way.. let’s see how many of these little jets we can get on here! 
Mines on a slow boat from Canada however, so it might get shown towards the back end of this GB. 
Cheers.. Dave

One of my favourite aircraft and kits - I have one built up in the 1955 Patrouille de France scheme and 3 more in the stash to build in the 3 other schemes used by the Patrouille de France up to the swap over to the Mystère  (inc the one you’re building here with the stars)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’ve one ordered and on its way.. let’s see how many of these little jets we can get on here! 
Mines on a slow boat from Canada however, so it might get shown towards the back end of this GB. 
Cheers.. Dave

I'll still be fettling one of my other builds so we can keep each other company. 😀 

I think I'll do some corrections and detailing on the Israeli one, and that'll progress at my usual snail's pace. :tumbleweed::tumbleweed:

• Like 1

A day's fettling gets us here - everything fits together very nicely - thanks Heller. A little PPP around the main u/c doors and it all looked spoodly. I've added some punched discs to the intake areas - ejection pin marks were there, they might not be visible in any case. There are no parts left on the sprue - very satisfying! Off to the spares box to get me an aviator.

Hopefully get the canopy polished and masked up later so I can squirt some black onto the cockpit area as well. The only part that doesn't fit that well is the rear door on the nose u/c - not a problem when it's on the ground, and not a big issue really.

50415991382_efab479fce_c.jpg

• Like 5

Didn't get to mask the canopy, though it has been polished. A squirt of almost black on the cockpit & intake bits, and used it to check how the u/c doors look as well. Off for a week now - it'll have plenty of time to dry. 😀

50422147726_652e764b62_c.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Been plodding along with this - it's basically a straightforward kit of a lovely aeroplane. I made a hash of the intake fairing, and had to resort to some disassembly, but I think we will be ok once I have got a sanding stick in there. A little bit of plastic was taken off the wing root fillets before gluing the wings on to save destroying the fine raised panel lines later. There is some tidying up to do underneath, and the pilot needs painting. The kit decals don't match any photos I've got, especially the figures in the large, yellow stars on the nose - they are on the wrong sides I think. Fortunately Modeldecal sheet 68 has them the correct way around.

50496812218_b57e695abc_c.jpg

• Like 5

A squirt of Halford's primer to see where tidying is required - it certainly looks like an Ouragan. Also the tricky intake fairing undergoing restoration. Looking at the raw plastic for the Toofani build, the parts that make up the fairing are too small, (my excuse 😊) - I'll try a different approach with the Toofani which will start with the u/c bays I think.

Also pondering whether it's worth the effort of repairing the raised panel lines - something I've never done with a kit before, so it might be on the cards. 😀

50506436958_a5fdea779f_c.jpg

50506436948_9b94ce4f21_c.jpg

• Like 8

Yes, repairing raised panel lines is an interesting topic. I’ve often considered this myself however have not worked out the best way. Let us know how you go and the Ouragan is looking really nice too. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Started the Toofani - u/c bits and the intake fairing are where we are. Just tidying up, checking the fit really, and alteration where necessary, I'll leave any additional detailing for the Israeli Ouragan build.

Also couldn't resist showing the Ouragan on my latest acquisition for the tool stash - the EBMA Wing Jig - lovely little thing, with lots of bits to play with.

50513401017_babed9fa91_c.jpg

50512453518_f7b0bf2d2a_c.jpg

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Now that jig does look handy, especially for these old tool kits with less than positive fit. Looking good. 

..and those pesky vac forms as well.

• Like 3

The first round of sanding back gets us here - I'll prime the patches to see what else needs doing. Once the surface is ok, I'll have a look at restoring the panel lines. Fortunately there aren't many that need attention. The underside of the nose will probably get scribed as it's taken the most filling.

50528181776_884377567b_c.jpg

50528336367_8a547c6e10_c.jpg

• Like 5

Looking really nice. I'm keen to get my hands on one of these, although it (along with a couple of D.500's) are taking the slow boat from Canada - so still in long transit. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2020 at 12:37 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Looking really nice. I'm keen to get my hands on one of these, although it (along with a couple of D.500's) are taking the slow boat from Canada - so still in long transit. 

Thanks - I'll wager that I'll still be fettling at least a couple of the builds by the time you get hold of yours. 😀

Some progress made with the stand - just need to let the blue on the base harden before it gets a polish, and then it can be drilled to take the acrylic rod. The Ouragan has had a little bit of filler here and there, which gives me time to get the pilot painted, inserted, and then the canopy can be attached, and faired in. Then we can get some blue on it! A nice kit all round really.

50541468501_cbcf6f9c8b_c.jpg

• Like 2

Ouragan tidied up - just awaiting some red and blue colouring to the helmet of the pilot, and an attempt at the Patrouille de France patch on the right shoulder. He can then go in - the position of the arms has been altered so it looks like the stick is at least being held and left hand is on the throttle - it came from the spares box as there is nothing provided in the kit. Then the canopy can go on - it looks like it will be a decent fit. I tried a bit of raised panel line replacement on the nose - not sure how it will end up and tbh not sure it was worth the effort - during the build the remaining lines have become less pronounced in any case.

50553924013_6ae3196114_c.jpg

The Toofani is being progressed - some learnings from the above so that the intake fairing has been enlarged, plenty of weight in the nose, and some detailing for the undercarriage. I have lopped the end of the tailpipe off so that it can go in after the nmf is applied - should give me a method to hold the kit whilst spraying, and lets me finish the rear end off a bit more neatly. Canopy is going to be closed on this one, so I'll use the kit parts, but apply a panel decal from Modeldecal sheet 68.

50553923973_5962d6892d_c.jpg

• Like 3