Not another Sherman.....1/35 Meng M4A3 76W

Jasper dog

26 minutes ago, Andy J said:

If you send the tracks to me mate you'll have real rust on the Sherman by the time you get them back 🙄.Tbh Darryl im not sure I'll be able to tackle the tracks mate, trying to build them almost one handed maybe a challenge to far. However I will give them a go and as long as I can keep the mojo going i will continue 🙂👍

You'll get that Sherman done mate don't you worry,  if I can chance the white wash you'll be fine. If your chancing the hairspray technique and I can offer any assistance over what not to do feel free!  I'm Always great after the event, or so I've been told...

I hadn't realised how you where going about the tracks mate, jeez I almost feel bad!

Don't worry there's always options with them, just don't give up, at least until the Haphazard Crew has had a chance to ruminate over it!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Really like the worn white wash effect you have achieved most realistic!

Stay safe       Roger

Thanks Roger, it might grow on me......

22 minutes ago, Longbow said:

It looks good to me, Darryl. 
Better than my salt bath Pz III :D

You know Rinaldi often uses more than 1 coat of white. Using multiple applications for the effect he’s after. 

I thought your salt technique worked well on the Pzr III !

More than one coat you say... is that after he's scrubbed the first or builds the white prior to scrubbing?

Either way, thanks mate!

• Like 1

Yeah, he does one and scrubs, and then adds a second one, to build layers and depth. 

Similar to this one, although this is Pz Grey and yellow. 
Note how there is a lighter yellow first, and then a darker yellow on top. 

spacer.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Longbow said:

Yeah, he does one and scrubs, and then adds a second one, to build layers and depth. 

Similar to this one, although this is Pz Grey and yellow. 
Note how there is a lighter yellow first, and then a darker yellow on top. 

Interesting......

He really makes it look so easy!

Not half bad this Rinaldi guy, get him to join the group and we could probably make him a winner! Just think how we could cultivate him and point him in the right direction..

Imagine how impressed he'd be with Steve's new airbrush,  Andy's cookie chipping technique and your affiliation to the logging industry!

• Haha 2

Well, never having tried the whitewash effect, although I do have two hairspray aerosols, no longer required by SWMBO, I can't give an opinion of the technique, BUT, I will say this........it looks very good to me Darryl. If I ever try that technique one day, I'll be more than happy if it turns out like yours has done.

John. 

• Like 3

I tried the hairspray, and it failed miserably. Paint came off in huge strips, which is why I tried the salt, and that still failed. 

I know they use the acrylic thinner, with the Tamiya paints, and also it's something to do with the varnish used.

Matt varnish makes it harder to chip, and gives smaller chips, and gloss varnish strips it in sheets. 

Not something I'm willing to try again, yet lol....

I still think yours looks good, Darryl !!

Stunning mate ..........really no jokes ....................that will look absolutely the dogs danglies once you start with the more detailed weathering..........and as for a heavier coat of white i would say you got that pretty much spot on considering how thinned out white wash was and the fact that in the field it would have been applied with anything from a spray gun to a broom. Fantastic :goodjob:  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Well, never having tried the whitewash effect, although I do have two hairspray aerosols, no longer required by SWMBO, I can't give an opinion of the technique, BUT, I will say this........it looks very good to me Darryl. If I ever try that technique one day, I'll be more than happy if it turns out like yours has done.

7 hours ago, Longbow said:

I tried the hairspray, and it failed miserably. Paint came off in huge strips, which is why I tried the salt, and that still failed. 

I know they use the acrylic thinner, with the Tamiya paints, and also it's something to do with the varnish used.

Matt varnish makes it harder to chip, and gives smaller chips, and gloss varnish strips it in sheets. 

Not something I'm willing to try again, yet lol....

I still think yours looks good, Darryl !!

5 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Crikey, i think that looks really good Darryl, it gives a lovely effect. I need to do a white wash on my next build so will try your technique and see what happens

all the best

Ed

3 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Stunning mate ..........really no jokes ....................that will look absolutely the dogs danglies once you start with the more detailed weathering..........and as for a heavier coat of white i would say you got that pretty much spot on considering how thinned out white wash was and the fact that in the field it would have been applied with anything from a spray gun to a broom. Fantastic :goodjob:  

Thanks chaps appreciated, means a lot. 

Must confess I'd been a bit iffy about it but having had time to reflect I think it has a future. The rough plan being, once suspension and tracks done 😖,  more weathering, appropriate to the time and location, scattering of fresh snow, looking forward to this bit, and Roberts your mothers brother!

I think next time I attempt this technique, which I believe has potential, I'd be tempted to experiment with a slightly heavy coat of white or whatever the top colour might be and perhaps over straight paint rather than varnished. I say this because it took very little water and effort for the white to fall away making it a little uncontrollable. If it required a little more effort to chip it away I'd guess you might have more time and therefore control.. The reasoning behind no varnish is I'd guess the chipping coat might "bite" better into the matt paint rather than the slightly smoother matt varnish.

Thanks again to everyone's encouragement, comments and likes!

• Like 3

Hi Darryl

That looks great just the way it is mate. 

FYI - I also used the hairspray technique with my Tiger, and as Lee mentioned, a second coat of white can be applied - both to correct any areas where you want more white, and also to create the effect of several layers of whitewash - as in - where it has been reapplied by the crew.

spacer.png

Edited by gmoss
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, gmoss said:

Hi Darryl

That looks great just the way it is mate. 

FYI - I also used the hairspray technique with my Tiger, and as Lee mentioned, a second coat of white can be applied - both to correct any areas where you want more white, and also to create the effect of several layers of whitewash - as in - where it has been reapplied by the crew.

Thanks, it has grown on me now, looking forward to getting back to it. 

Tiger looks great btw, when you applied a second coat of white did you seal the first layer with a varnish coat prior to repeating the hairspray etc?

Otherwise what prevents more of the original layer being scrubbed away?

Cheers

Darryl 

36 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Thanks, it has grown on me now, looking forward to getting back to it. 

Tiger looks great btw, when you applied a second coat of white did you seal the first layer with a varnish coat prior to repeating the hairspray etc?

Otherwise what prevents more of the original layer being scrubbed away?

Cheers

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl

I didn't apply a second clear coat, but the second layer of white was very light and heavily thinned, so I managed not to remove much (if any) of the original layer. 

A second clear coat would probably be the best way to do it though. 

I also added a couple of drops of buff to the first white wash and used pure white for the second.  It creates a subtle 'old and new' look between the two white washes.

Cheers,

Greg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gmoss said:

Thanks Darryl

I didn't apply a second clear coat, but the second layer of white was very light and heavily thinned, so I managed not to remove much (if any) of the original layer. 

A second clear coat would probably be the best way to do it though. 

I also added a couple of drops of buff to the first white wash and used pure white for the second.  It creates a subtle 'old and new' look between the two white washes.

Cheers,

Greg

Thanks Greg, that's something I'll keep in mind for next time.

Cheers

Darryl 

10 hours ago, Hewy said:

Nice, always been interesred in multi layered  painting and weathering ,and worn  winter camos, looks goog 👍

Thanks, now I've done it once don't think I'd be too worried about having another go, particularly taking on board some of the suggestions above.

Bit bogged down in kits at the moment need to get something finished....

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Like 3

Couldn't be delayed any longer if I'm going to progress this one...

Tracks:

spacer.png

8 sections completed, can't bring myself to  count how many more to go and then to add the duck bills. It's not even assembling the tracks its more the trimming off and the clean up of the sprue attachment points thats the pita!

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Tracks coming together well Darryl, will look great when painted up

Stay safe          Roger

Thanks Roger,  sometimes you just have to get head down and push on....give me Fruils anyday, just surprised the European Marketing director for Panda hasn't tried again to make another sale! 😉

Cheers

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

just surprised the European Marketing director for Panda hasn't tried again to make another sale! 😉

Well, it's funny you should mention it, but as I said, I've reached my quota for this month, and I can't handle any more free samples. I mean to say, enough tracks for a brigade is more than anyone can handle.

But to react to the more serious part of your post Darryl, I completely agree with regards to the Fruils. They are a piece of cake to assemble. But I wouldn't use them on a Sherman as M4s were noted for not having track sag, and that is, after all, one of the benefits of Fruils. Plus, to return to flippancy, they've never sent me any free samples either!

John.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Told you :frantic:

He's like that omnipresent being.... wondered why I kept glancing over my shoulder!

9 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

But to react to the more serious part of your post Darryl, I completely agree with regards to the Fruils. They are a piece of cake to assemble. But I wouldn't use them on a Sherman as M4s were noted for not having track sag, and that is, after all, one of the benefits of Fruils. Plus, to return to flippancy, they've never sent me any free samples either!

John.

Quite right, and even if I splashed out on them I'd still have to find the DBs for them. Don't think there's much advantage in using anything else, unless I do something daft as I noticed in a video and someone tried to glue the whole lot together with extra thin whilst in its plastic jig......

Didn't work out well.....funny that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hiya Darryl just to say i feel your pain brother regarding the tracks, I managed to get the time down to about 45 mins per block of 11 from start to finish a real PIA imo. As for the duck bills well they need to be fitted with the tracks in place which throws up more problems to deal with 🙄. One things for sure i doubt if I'll ever build these tracks again way to time consuming imo and tbh I don't think they are that strong when completed. Keep going mate the end is nigh 🙂👍

• Thanks 1