Not another Sherman.....1/35 Meng M4A3 76W

Jasper dog

10 hours ago, Andy J said:

I managed to get the time down to about 45 mins per block of 11 from start to finish a real PIA imo. As for the duck bills well they need to be fitted with the tracks in place which throws up more problems to deal with 🙄. One things for sure i doubt if I'll ever build these tracks again way to time consuming imo and tbh I don't think they are that strong when completed. Keep going mate the end is nigh 🙂👍

45 min sounds about right, ask me how I know...:wall:

I've used a combo of meng supplied wire and left over fruil wire and the results being........

The Meng wired ones go together quicker but do feel a lot more fragile the Fruil steel wire takes more effort but is more robust.

Anyway,  Andy can I enquire how many track links or ar least lengths did you use for one track by my reckoning it'll be just over 7 lengths of track per side, completed 11 so far so probably 3 more to go then a few odd ones to get the length right.

Cheers bud 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

45 min sounds about right, ask me how I know...:wall:

I've used a combo of meng supplied wire and left over fruil wire and the results being........

The Meng wired ones go together quicker but do feel a lot more fragile the Fruil steel wire takes more effort but is more robust.

Anyway,  Andy can I enquire how many track links or ar least lengths did you use for one track by my reckoning it'll be just over 7 lengths of track per side, completed 11 so far so probably 3 more to go then a few odd ones to get the length right.

Cheers bud 

Yep 7 blocks of 11 each side plus 2 links will give you the recommended 79 links per side. So 14 blocks of 11 plus 4 extra links in total 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, vaoinas said:

It couldn't be that bad...

One could take it as a meditative activity of some sort, listening some podcast or audiobook at the same time.

You aren't far off!

I'm almost done assembling the short lengths, then connect them together to form two full lengths and then.....the dbs...

But yes, radio/podcasts etc etc, nearly done though!

Once tracks done I can fit them and get on with the weathering and finishing!

Cheers

• Like 1

Well......quite a benchmark, after goodness knows how long I've actually got two lengths of track. Wasn't entirely convinced I'd get this far with them, still have the db's to go but...

I may need to add a link or two extra once fitted but I'll deal with that at the time.

spacer.png

Next up will be DBs, paint and then they can be fitted!

I must say if I had the chance I'd suggest to Meng either have rethink with the tracks or include an option like rubber bands. If AFV club can do good Sherman rubber bands why can't Meng? 

I'm suggesting as much because if someone less committed to the hobby tried to build what is otherwise a great kit they would undoubtedly be put off by the pita that is the track assembly. 

Moan over, for now, let's see how the DBs go....

Thanks for looking

Darryl 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Well......quite a benchmark, after goodness knows how long I've actually got two lengths of track. Wasn't entirely convinced I'd get this far with them, still have the db's to go but...

I may need to add a link or two extra once fitted but I'll deal with that at the time.

spacer.png

Next up will be DBs, paint and then they can be fitted!

I must say if I had the chance I'd suggest to Meng either have rethink with the tracks or include an option like rubber bands. If AFV club can do good Sherman rubber bands why can't Meng? 

I'm suggesting as much because if someone less committed to the hobby tried to build what is otherwise a great kit they would undoubtedly be put off by the pita that is the track assembly. 

Moan over, for now, let's see how the DBs go....

Thanks for looking

Darryl 

Couldn't agree more Darryl well said mate. These tracks are no fun at all and I'll certainly be glad to see the back of them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always check reviews of kits i am thinking of buying. And to be honest, if i see that each track link is 4 pieces it is immediately deleted from my wish list.

So i fully agree with Darryl about manufactures including rubber bands as an alternative, to keep less committed modellers in the hobby.

George

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

I always check reviews of kits i am thinking of buying. And to be honest, if i see that each track link is 4 pieces it is immediately deleted from my wish list.

So i fully agree with Darryl about manufactures including rubber bands as an alternative, to keep less committed modellers in the hobby.

George

Thanks George, its such a shame as its a great kit but those tracks, 4 parts per link plus the pin...which can be a fight to fit!

8 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

And if they can make a good job of them, as Tamiya did with their T80 HVSS tracks, indy link versions are not needed. It's not as if M4s had sagging tracks.

John.

8 hours ago, Longbow said:

I fall into the Much Less committed category.... I'll take those rubber bands :D

I'd happily make this kit again but next time I'm getting after market (AFV Club) rubber bands, used them on a Dragon Firefly and they  worked great.

• Like 3

The kit that keeps giving!

What new circle of hell have we just entered, think we can possibly add another to Dantes circles of hell missive...

Against Mengs suggestion of adding these afterwards I've decided it's easier to add them whilst the tracks are flat, unpainted and off the vehicle, might be a mistake but..

spacer.png

Idea being it's easier to paint and weather them off the vehicle and I can install at the same time as adding the suspension units and drive wheels etc, that's the theory at least.

Unfortunately they just butt join to the link connectors, not too worried if a few drop off as in reality they would come adrift anyway..🤞

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Okay, I have a Meng M4 in the stash. I swear to God I'm slapping some rubber tracks on this thing.... I'm pretty sure I have some unused ones in the stash. 

Life is far to short for that mess :D

Great get on with it then 🙄

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Andy J said:

Jeez that looks fun Darryl.........not 🙄. I've still got the pleasure of doing mine and boy am I looking forward to it 😬👍

4 hours ago, Longbow said:

Okay, I have a Meng M4 in the stash. I swear to God I'm slapping some rubber tracks on this thing.... I'm pretty sure I have some unused ones in the stash. 

Life is far to short for that mess :D

It's not difficult just time consuming and monotonous....just hope it's not it vain!

I agree, you can get aftermarket rubber bands in a variety of patterns for the Sherman, just not one with DBs,  next time I'm doing one I can get the track type for. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jasper dog said:

It's not difficult just time consuming and monotonous....just hope it's not it vain!

I agree, you can get aftermarket rubber bands in a variety of patterns for the Sherman, just not one with DBs,  next time I'm doing one I can get the track type for. 

Thing is Darryl until the tracks are finished and in place it's difficult to say whether you like them or not. Yes I agree they are a PIA to put together but if they look smart when finished it will be worth it 🙂👍.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Longbow said:

Builds moral fiber ;)

Totally agree :D

Jeez your posting a lot on here today you'll be building armour models next 😉👍