Not another Sherman.....1/35 Meng M4A3 76W

Jasper dog

Update:

Todays attention was the turret, more time consuming than you'd imagine but its basically done

spacer.png

Still a little tidying to do and the hatches are only hold in situ by pva. I'd like to remove them once painted to install the clear lenses /periscopes. 

Metal gun barrel fitted with plastic muzzle which btw is rifled...

spacer.png

Not a terribly clear pic but it is rifled along with a small diameter muzzle on the sprue as if intended for a 75mm.....

spacer.png

Speaking of nicely detailed areas it also has a poseable Ammo loading hatch on the turret side..

spacer.png

spacer.png

The end of today's session, sees matt black sprayed inside turret and hull, trimmings fitted to the turret along with hatches and of course another length of track assembled!

Speaking of track, the new 0.5mm copper wire arrived, tbh steel wire would have been better. The copper is a little soft and too keen to deform at the first opportunity when pushed through the track parts!  however it can and will do its job...🤞

Still need to decide how to deploy the 0.5 browning,  we have options...

spacer.png

Decisions decisions....

That's all for now folks....

• Like 8

That’s looking great fella, not seen many pictures of the .50 stowed tbh mate. If the wagon is within sniffing distance of the front lines then it would be in the ready to use position pushed out the way of the hatch I think the barrel clamp in the bottom left pix of the instructions folds out the way when not in use.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

That’s looking great fella, not seen many pictures of the .50 stowed tbh mate. If the wagon is within sniffing distance of the front lines then it would be in the ready to use position pushed out the way of the hatch I think the barrel clamp in the bottom left pix of the instructions folds out the way when not in use.

Thanks Dan, that is an excellent point and made the decision for me...:thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Very nice detail, Darryl !!

I like to see there’s paint already ;)

Thanks Lee, just a smattering of over spray but paint is paint!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Just wondering about the caveat "so far" are we expecting foul ups or are you that familiar with my work....

Well.....I refer the honourable gentleman to the earlier debacle with the opposed chevrons on the tracks:wicked:.

Seriously though, we have complete faith in your modelling skills (and I don't mean walking the catwalk)!

John.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Another step closer bud not much more to do now.......... taking your time though.......got used to seeing the super fast turn around of some peoples builds ....name escapes me at the moment :D 

Not sure about much more to do, haven't even started paint yet and still those things not to be mentioned!

Speaking of not to be mentioned, when you refer to fast turn around and names escaping I assume it's a bit like mention the name three times and he appears like The Bloody Mary apparition or the Candyman....:shutup:

Makes you wonder, something of the night about him perhaps, all I'm saying, the speed of those builds, someones handiwork...:devil:

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Coming together now, the end of the tunnel is in sight!

Roger

Thanks Roger,  not sure about end of tunnel perhaps just found a handy alcove mid way through....

24 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Well.....I refer the honourable gentleman to the earlier debacle with the opposed chevrons on the tracks:wicked:.

Seriously though, we have complete faith in your modelling skills (and I don't mean walking the catwalk)!

John.

John of all people,  I didn't expect the twisting of the blade from you, I now know how Ceaser felt after Brutus's intervention!:huh:

Especially as you promised not to mention that eve on the catwalk again....

(Didn't think those heels real worked for you though mate!).

Thanks again chaps

Always appreciate the helpful comments...

:frantic:

• Haha 2

Bumbling along....

Mistake spotted with Meng instructions! They have neglected to mention fitting the two crew steps on the front of the hull by the towing brackets....the parts are included on the sprue but no mention on the instructions. 

spacer.png

Tidied up a few bits here and there that I'd missed and installed the remaining bits and bobs like the ariel stem, 0.5 travel mount, as Dan @Dads203 recommend and the spare track pads on the rear hull.

spacer.png

spacer.png

No clear parts, even though supplied, have not been fitted yet, they can wait till post paint to save masking, including all periscopes. 

Well I guess that's that..... I haven't "clicked" the turret down as I have a sneaky suspicion that with the clips used on the turret ring it might not come off.

What next.....

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Good coat of Halfords body shop primer is what came next.

If Batman was in the market for a vintage armoured vehicle....

Thanks for looking!

• Like 7

Almost forgot if anyone's interested this is pretty much what's left over....

make of it what you will but it suggests other versions may be on the cards....

spacer.png

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Just for interest, this web page is excellent for any Sherman related builds :thumbsup:

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/index.html

Should of thrown that into the mix earlier ... but I forgot, Me bad !! 

No factor at all, really trying to make this as simple as poss. Other than drilling out the extra drain holes John @Bullbasketmentioned it's as Meng intended, with the obvious error delt with.

However when I'm ready to slip down the rabbit hole of Sherman minutiae....

My next concern, tracks aside, will be the winter white wash....

11 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Undercoat went down really smooth Darryl ....should give you less headaches when putting the colour down.....great job mate looking forward to the next update:thumbsup:

It does, really like the stiff straight from the rattle can!

Almost creating a rod for my own back here aren't I!

Might have to revert back to the Titanic just to slow the pace....

Thanks chaps, appreciate the comments, as ever!

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Hamden said:

Undercoat looks nice and smooth, looking forward to the war paint

Stay safe       Roger

10 hours ago, Longbow said:

Looking great, Darryl !!

Getting the black primer down has become one of my Fave parts of a build, lately. 
It unified everything, and just looks cool :D

9 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Really nice job on this Darryl, nicely built, really like the primer, looking forward to your next instalment....

Ed

49 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

That undercoat has gone on nice and smooth Darryl. Should give a nice base for the topcoat.

John.

Thanks chaps, as has been said undercoat has done its job, hides all those grubby little bits! 

It can look a bit heavy when first done but settles down nicely, probably had a 2-3 coats in some areas just to get the coverage in all the nooks and crannies. 

Some would suggest leaving the primer coat a while to harden....🤔

Thanks again

Darryl 

• Like 5

Quick squirt of US OD, didn't want to go ott with the paintwork as the winter white wash should hide a lot....

Painted with Ammo Mig US Olive Drab, I know from past experience it's quite a dark paint and if not careful once finished, even when lightened, can look too dark, imho.

spacer.png

The only areas to get straight OD back of wheels, suspension units and under side of sponsons and turret ring.

From then other 4-5 layers of OD each successively lightened and concentrated on specific areas.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Still poss a bit dark but, it'll do 

Next up gloss coat and decals.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 12

Like John said or you can use a small amount of oil paint and do very light colour washes to pick up the green a little if your not happy with it ......personally i think it looks great and as you said it's getting a splash of white wash so that will have the effect of lightening the whole thing anyway...great job mate :D

• Thanks 1