Not another Sherman.....1/35 Meng M4A3 76W

Jasper dog

Ordered some 0.5mm wire to try, in the mean time I've found some left over wire from a set of Fruils to be going on with 🤞

If all goes wrong have plan C, or so I thought...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Doooh, its T54s I need not T62s!!

If you think you can see 3 links mounted incorrectly it's an illusion, they are all absolutely the correct way around, honest...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

23 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Nope there defo the wrong way around .................................you plum 

Honest guv, it's your imagination...

Still, as the sponson is fairly close to the top run of the tracks....🤫

• Haha 2

That's the way to do it....

spacer.png

Another run, this time thicker wire 0.5mm, left over from a set of Fruils.

Still awaiting the super glue so a smear of mig ultra glue, bit thick, as the wire pokes through smear a blob on draw it back and trim off the length end. Once the thin super glue arrives I can pop a little on the exposed ends you see above and trim flush.

spacer.png

Moment of truth, removing from the case/jig. Last time with the Meng supplied wire this was the point it all collapsed.....

However thanks to the slight interference fit it holds together and articulates!

Still feels a bit fragile as you'd imagine but nothing hopefully to worry about.

spacer.png

The most time consuming part is probably the clean up of the sprue gates, 3 per each tiny end connector and two for each half of the track pad.

spacer.png

Got it down so far to about 50min for each run. (Only approx 79 links per side..)

Just going to do a run or two inbetween other aspects of the build.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Longbow said:

Progress is still progress..... ;)

Thank you Lee,  appreciated. 

Nice to know who yours friends are...

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

especially when you don't pin half of them back to front :D

And as for you.....ha-flippin-ha...:tumbleweed:

Quite the comedian today aren't we....

:bangin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Aye up Darryl,

I've been pondering one of these for quite a while as i have some Free French markings just screaming to be used, but them tracks scare me! Nice fix with the thicker wire and i just may just fall into temptation and get me sen one 👍

Regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

Thanks Steve, if all else failed I'd have gone for aftermarket tracks, fruils are available as are Panda and AFV rubber bands, perhaps not T54s but something that would suffice!

The detail courtesy of Meng is quite remarkable btw

Thanks for stopping by

Cracking on:

Another short length of track assembled, don't worry this hasn't boiled down to a length by length wip!

Along with the afore mentioned track:

spacer.png

Bulk of hull assembled, the detail is excellent, even down to fuel filler caps beneath the outer cap and teeth for the turret drive.

spacer.png

Speaking of fuel fillers, comes with the drain holes too btw!

spacer.png

I'd guess judging by the detail provided, gun breech, hull bulkhead, radiators that an interior version must at least be being considered...

Meng do supply a small etch fret covering the lamp guards, I felt the etch version looked very anaemic whilst the plastic option is perhaps a little heavy, after a little deliberation went with the plastic option. . . .

(The decision had nothing to do with making a Horlicks of shaping the first one...)

Couldn't finish without mentioned the tracks again!

They still articulate!!!

spacer.png

That's all for now folks....

• Like 10

11 hours ago, Longbow said:

Well that was quick, Darryl.... Cracking right along with this one !!

The detail looks really nice on this one, not like the Tamiya one lol :D

11 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Really nice work on this Darryl, this looks like a really nice kit with good detail. I always find tracks tedious, they just take so much time to clean up, you’ve done a good job on those. Looking forward to seeing more

Ed

Thanks Lee, surprising what you can get done when off work for a few days, I really want to get this at least ready for paint before the Panther job kicks off.

Thanks Ed, I'm classing this is a holiday build so no messing around with extra minutiae of detail, not that I'm familiar enough with the M4 unlike John @Bullbasket  or some of the many Sherman aficionados on BM who could really go to town on it.

But I am going to try a winter scheme....

As for detail it's really good, I'd say like a Tamiya for fit and engineering but with lots more detail. If it wasn't for the tracks it would be a breeze but given patience they do work and with the sprung suspension, I suppose gently running along the carpet....but why???

18 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Good work so far Darryl. Does the kit have these features on it?

Hi John, it has two of the five drain holes shown in your pics:

spacer.png

spacer.png

But there is a gap in the weld bead to position the missing ones... 

It's a really clever kit, the more I look at the more detail becomes apparent. 

If you need any more info or detail feel free,  more than happy to oblige. 

Pics are a bit dark I'm afraid, miserable day here today...

Watching a YouTube video of a build and that kit came with pre cut pins for the track. Unfortunately his problem was he managed to glue the track runs to the jig which, tbh, is avoidable if you glue the two halves of the pad together before placing in the jig!

Anyway another track run must be completed.....

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Like 6

I'm gonna be looking out for one of these the detail is really good even down to the fuel filler caps under the armoured covers ....it's comin on nice now Darryl...what paint are you gonna use with this.....MIG , AK, Humbrol....pre-shading or post more info is needed for enquiring minds :D i won't be expecting a base as i know you are terrified of plaster....that and the GB is so close now. :goodjob: so far .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

I'm gonna be looking out for one of these the detail is really good even down to the fuel filler caps under the armoured covers ....it's comin on nice now Darryl...what paint are you gonna use with this.....MIG , AK, Humbrol....pre-shading or post more info is needed for enquiring minds :D i won't be expecting a base as i know you are terrified of plaster....that and the GB is so close now. :goodjob: so far .

Ooff.... You're sounding a little needy today, Steve !! :D

So... Darryl... Paint ?? Pre shade ??......

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dads203 said:

The detail looks incredible on this kit, I thought the Tasca kits were the gold standard but this looks fantastic. Again looks like you are working your magic mate

:thumbsup:

Thanks Dan!

Its surprisingly good, never built a Tasca one to compare but I do have a couple stashed away, might be an excuse to compare and contrast!

Not sure about magic but we do our best.

(I'll still reserve judgement on that till its finished btw.....)

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

As for paint, got to be the trusty MIG US olive Drab, black base as per and then fiddled and faffed around with but.....going to have a pop at the box art version "Thunderbolt VI" belonging to the well known Col Abrams. (No not the KFC fella Steve!). Which means Lee favourite.....white wash!!!

I'll update the build later but more detail has become apparent 👍

2 hours ago, Longbow said:

This looks like a really nice kit, except for those tracks !! :D

We'll have none of that talk!

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

Ooff.... You're sounding a little needy today, Steve !! :D

So... Darryl... Paint ?? Pre shade ??......

Needy, why limit it to today!

Good old Steve.....

As for paint the usual routine I'm afraid, perhaps should try something different but if it works.....

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

It was the Japanese instructions.... They read right to left, you know.... :D

What did I say earlier....

Today's build update coming asap but I'm being dragged out, in the rain!!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Good work so far Darryl.

6 hours ago, M3talpig said:

:goodjob: so far .

Thanks for the resounding vote of confidence chaps!

Just wondering about the caveat "so far" are we expecting foul ups or are you that familiar with my work....

Cheers "mates" ! :undecided: