Not another Sherman.....1/35 Meng M4A3 76W

Jasper dog

Getting a little bogged down with the current builds and didn't want to wait for the Panther job that starts soon so.....

I know, everyone appears to be doing Sherman's or derivatives of but.. if you can't beat em...

Meng M4A3 76, typical Meng and it appears I must have bought one of the original release ones when at the Bolton show earlier this year as it comes with the bonus of a metal barrel.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Sometimes you just want a kit to sit down with and build with little fuss from etch or resin or any other rubbish. Therefore ignored the usual bench sat in the house with a small collection of tools an old offcut of rubber matting as a cutting mat /work surface and cracked on.

As with most Sherman the instructions have you start with the suspension units....

spacer.png

Even has springs for the working suspension, which does work, not sure on the value of it but hey-ho 

16 parts go into making up each unit, btw, if you count the two halves of the wheels.

spacer.png

Bit of a seam on the body to fill but surprisingly straight forward to assemble. Tyres have been nicked prior to assembly. 

The wife asked why I was making little motorbikes....

(Could have been worse, she might have asked why I wasn't cutting the hedge!)

spacer.png

Rather large sprue gates but they clean up easily enough.

spacer.png

Some really nice touches like the bolt holes for the final drive housings, which won't be seen unless you want to leave it off to create some sort of repair scene. 

spacer.png

Close up of the weld detail provided by Meng, this is the bracket for the tow hook. 

spacer.png

6 parts go into the construction of the exhaust deflector, being a little careless with the removal from the sprue has left a scar...ooops!

spacer.png

Not too bad, for me, for a few hours work, lower hull assembled along with the 6 suspension units.

spacer.png

The part I'm really not looking forward to, doubt I can cheat by going aftermarket either, particularly if I want the duckbills!

Multipart links with wire pins and an assembly jig, all courtesy of Mr Meng!

That's all, for now, thanks for looking.

Darryl 

• Like 13

Ah a speed build eh  :D...have to say Darryl the details on this look very nice indeed .....not gonna be much scratch building to do with this.....after my current project is done i'm thinkin of either a jumbo or m36b1....seems U.S armour is the rage at the moment

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Blimey another cracker of a kit in the build, nice one mate :thumbsup:

Thanks Dan, sometimes it's nice to spoil yourself...

2 hours ago, robw_uk said:

very nice... have looked at this kit a few times but those tracks scare me to death... lets see how your build goes

Yea, the tracks hopefully won't be too awkward or tricky just long-winded and laborious.

On the plus side if assembled correctly they should be workable...

30 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Ah a speed build eh  :D...have to say Darryl the details on this look very nice indeed .....not gonna be much scratch building to do with this.....after my current project is done i'm thinkin of either a jumbo or m36b1....seems U.S armour is the rage at the moment

Well speedy for me, sure others would have had it assembled already by now but it's not a race, is it?

Saying that, I'd like it to be built prior to the Panther GB starting. 

Think the M36 b1 would be a good choice, the Airfix one? (Is that a rebox of the Academy kit?)

If I'd had one I could have been tempted by a Pershing....

Thanks chaps

Darryl 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

Nice one Darryl mind if I take a seat and take inspiration for my M32?

Roger

Hi Roger, good to have you along, the more the merrier!

Not sure about providing inspiration, perhaps more what not to do!

Cheers 

3 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Think the M36 b1 would be a good choice, the Airfix one? (Is that a rebox of the Academy kit?)

I believe your right...yes an airfix kit picked one up the other day

4 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

If I'd had one I could have been tempted by a Pershing..

I did the Tamiya's 16th one T26E3 for a collector that contacts me from time to time ....so im all m26'd out at the mo

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

I did the Tamiya's 16th one T26E3 for a collector that contacts me from time to time ....so im all m26'd out at the mo

I could imagine, some people can just enjoy making the same vehicle over and over but, little variety and all that..

Bet it was impressive in 16th!

8 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Don't under estimate yourself Darryl

6 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

My sentiments exactly Roger

Far too kind, but slighty worried as Steve's being nice......

Cheers chaps, no pressure now!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

I could imagine, some people can just enjoy making the same vehicle over and over but, little variety and all that..

Bet it was impressive in 16th!

It was the full option kit so it was nice to get my hands on one even if it wasn't mine ....i simply couldn't wouldn't justify that kind of money on a single kit...and just like most things Tamiya the fit and finish was impeccable but sadly missing detail that on a kit that size and price is just unforgivable.

6 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Far too kind, but slighty worried as Steve's being nice......

Hahaha yeah not been feeling meeself all day :bleh:

3 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

It was the full option kit so it was nice to get my hands on one even if it wasn't mine ....i simply couldn't wouldn't justify that kind of money on a single kit...and just like most things Tamiya the fit and finish was impeccable but sadly missing detail that on a kit that size and price is just unforgivable.

Always wanted the full option Tiger, think it's the sound effects that really made it. However as you say £££, but if I had a lottery win....

5 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Hahaha yeah not been feeling meeself all day :bleh:

Was going to suggest you should go eat something but realised I'd misread.

Tbh I'm leaving the correct sentence well alone before I get censored by the mods...😉🤣😅

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Longbow said:

Well this one snook up on me !!

Nice one, Darryl ! 

Those tracks look like a pig though.   

10 hours ago, Longbow said:

You know, I didn’t even know that Meng made these...

I was needing to get on and didn't want to wait for the Panther gig to start.

I've still got the Chally on going which is hopefully getting a base and need to sort figures out, or at least heads. And a Revell Titanic, (yeah, a boat!), which is progressing slowly so I thought let's just stick some bits of plastic together...

Not sure but I think the Meng Sherman came late 2019? 

Hopefully they might do some early ones, maybe......wishful thinking perhaps...?

I fancy a go at a winter wash on it.....🤔

Cheers

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Even has springs for the working suspension, which does work, not sure on the value of it

They are only of value if the tracks are fully working too. It's good to see that a kit manufacturer has finally included the bolt heads which secure the final drive housing to the hull. I'll be looking in from time to time to see how you're progressing with this one. The kit looks like it could be a good basis for me to use to build the IDF M51 that was based upon the A3 (although an Easy 8 would be better).

Good luck with the build Darryl.

John.

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

They are only of value if the tracks are fully working too.

Thanks John no need to rub it in!

Not that it's a sore point at the moment!

Nice to have you along John, feel free to throw in any suggestions, always/ usually (😉) appreciated!

4 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Are the tracks done yet Darryl.........whats the hold up they look nice an simples :D

There's always a trouble maker.....

If one of the emojis was a ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nearly three hours at it this morning and apart from assembling the idlers and drive wheels I've managed....

Wait for it....

spacer.png

There are 64 parts gone into that....and in the end I just cemented (and pinned) it together with Tamiya extra thin!

To the beginning, ish;

spacer.png

Two parts to each pad which I've assembled and dropped into the tray, the end pieces obviously go where you'd imagine.

spacer.png

Awaiting the wire, so far dead simple, thought it was going too easy. Only time consuming bit is cleaning up the sprue gates and join line on the pads. 

spacer.pngassembly case 👍, peg is a good idea to hold closed.

However they supply a roll of wire which will easily slot through holes and should hold the links together forming a pin. Well, the wire is a little to thin so falls through, a drop of glue might help secure one end and trim the wire off and then glue... you'd think... every time you remove the assembly from the jig it collapses as the glue contact area is insufficient to hold.

Btw, If you try glueing whilst in the jig you risk permanently having the jig affixed to the track section...

In frustration I've glued this run solid, that'll teach it! 

Next plan is to get some slightly thick floristry wire to hopefully create an interference fit which might hold enough in conjunction with a dot of glue if necessary...

Didn't help discovering my 2 new bottles of CA had dried up!

So much for my misplaced confidence and enthusiasm....

If all else fails AFV club do Sherman rubber bands that look perfectly fine and stuff the duck bills!

That will do for now......

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Nearly three hours at it this morning and apart from assembling the idlers and drive wheels I've managed....

Wait for it....

spacer.png

There are 64 parts gone into that....and in the end I just cemented (and pinned) it together with Tamiya extra thin!

No !! No !! And Thrice, NO ! 

I think I’ll stick to rubber bands ;)

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Here is what ya want.. . i bought 200mtr's of each roll as there closing down soon and the stuff is really good quality and cheap as chips

https://www.wireandstuff.co.uk/product-category/copper/

Cheers bud, going to measure what size Meng provides and see what size I really need...

Knew it was going to well....

27 minutes ago, vytautas said:

Looking really well. I wish you patience in making the tracks! Per aspera ad astra...😉

Funnily enough, wish I had the patience too....

18 minutes ago, Longbow said:

No !! No !! And Thrice, NO ! 

I think I’ll stick to rubber bands ;)

Yea well, I'd be more than happy with Fruils but by the time you add £30 onto the kit..

I have a plan b and a plan c!

So cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a fox! (Again quoting from the classics).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1