Mosquito Weathering

11bravo

Hi Folks,

I'm at the painting stage for my 32nd scale Tamiya Mossie.   Was wondering if anyone might have stumbled across good quality pictures that show the undersides of WW2 vintage Mosquitoes.   Trying to plan how I'm going to weather her.

Any pictures are most greatly appreciated. 

Regards,

John

Sorry I haven't a clue how to post pictures (I know there are "how tos" but I usually lose the will to live by the end of the 2nd sentence) but most images that I can remember show generally clean undersides but with th obligatory Merlin oil stains back along the main undercarriage doors and exhaust staining along the nacelle sides and below the wings.  There's also usually some light exhaust staining across the tailplanes.  You won't see much, if any, discolouration around the cartridge and link ejector slots but there's probably be some sooting around the cannon muzzles.

HTH.

• Haha 1

Thanks Stever, appreciated the pointers.    Whilst on the subject, does anyone know if the cannon ports were routinely taped and sealed with red dope, especially for Coastal Command aircraft?   I really like the look of some red dope here and there, on a monotone scheme like my subject is wearing.    I see a fair amount of dope used on CC Beaufighters, not as much on Mossies.  

• Thanks 1

My pleasure John.

Some of the Mk. XVIII "Tse-tse" Mosqujtos sported areas of red dope but the only one I can think of off hand is NT225 which had some around the tailplane roots.

It's not impossible that cannon muzzles were covered with doped fabric on a more frequent basis, it's just the lack of evidence that's annoying.

• Like 1