Heller's 109 in Africa – The modelling journey

Toryu

• Toryu changed the title to Heller's 109 in Africa – Chapter 6: The bird gets feathers

Hi Toryu,

This is a great and very useful thread (I seem to be getting into Bf109s).

But I can't see photos of the cockpit, last post on page 1 (Chapter 4 - Cockpit claustrophobia - added to the topic). Nor chapters 2 & 3.

Am I doing something wrong or have they been removed?

Thanks,

1 hour ago, Johnson said:

or have they been removed

Hi Johnson,

Thank you for your interest. I need to re-phrase the comments, they can be misunderstood. All entries except the last in the thread have been moved up into the main (starting) text on page 1 to have the whole build log in one series.

Cheers, Michael

• Toryu changed the title to Heller's 109 in Africa – Chapter 7: Accelerating airframe assembly
  • Toryu changed the title to Heller's 109 in Africa – Chapter 9: Colour crescendo

Very nice paint job.

1 hour ago, Toryu said:

I converted 'Red 2' into a white one via Photoshop and printer

Are you able to print in white? Always a problem I find.

Cheers,

17 hours ago, Johnson said:

Are you able to print in white

Hi Charlie - I print two sets of outlines on transparent decal, then paint one set white trying to stay inside the borders (the one on the left). The second set will come on top to restore the outline if necessary.

In this case here it seems I won‘t need the second one.

Cheers, Michael

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toryu said:

then paint one set white trying to stay inside the borders

Thanks Michael, I use the same method. I just wanted to see if there was a printer which would do white. There probably is, if I wanted to spend the money. I'll stick to the carefully applied paint.

Actually, thinking back on my technique, what I did was print multiple copies of the marking I needed on Mr Decal transparent paper, which is easy to do, then soak them off, turn them over and paint gloss white inside the outline. Let the paint dry then turn the decal/marking back again to get the decal adhesive on the back before applying them.  It works but it's a bit of a faff.

Cheers,

• Like 1

• Toryu changed the title to Heller's 109 in Africa – Chapter 9/2: Decal disappointment
2 hours ago, Toryu said:

but then I thought that the form differed too strongly from the one on the photo

It's always a difficult decision, but you know when something's going to bug you and you just have to do it. Well done.

• Thanks 1

• Toryu changed the title to Heller's 109 in Africa – Chapter 10: Finis coronat opus

Oh my! That is one seriously amazing 1/72 Bf-109F. It's hard to believe that's the old Heller kit as it's more like looking at a well built example of the 1/32 Hasegawa kit. The work you've put into this kit is incredible, and the results are stunning. I tip my hat to you Sir!

...Oh! And a great choice of colours and markings too. I can't resist a desert Friedrich! 

Steve

• Thanks 1

Looks like this is one of the underestimated kits. Just thinking the Frog F (in fact a G-2) as well as Jo-Han from about the same age this is at least on close par with them. In fact after the fuselage extension this look clearly better than them.

Amazing result!

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

That is a marvellous result you've achieved Michael. The added details and modifications have really enhanced the kit. :goodjob:

And studying your photos it's reminded me that I need to re-scribe the join line down the spine of the fuselage and on the engine cowling on my Bf 109 G6.

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

On 30/12/2020 at 21:21, AaCee26 said:

Looks like this is one of the underestimated kits.

True. This is a good base kit if you want to test your scratch-building talent.

Initially I wanted a quick OOB build but my ambition to upgrade it overpowered me. This is the kind of challenge which makes modelling such a pleasure and satisfaction for me.

Cheers, Michael

• Like 2

• Toryu changed the title to Heller's 109 in Africa – Chapter 10: Finis coronat opus - Conclusions
9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Taking into account the raw material you had to work with Michael ( @Toryu ), that is a triumph of a modellers stubborn determination, the whole is very definitely greater than the sum of the parts. :)

Totally agree Steve. Michael's 109F build has been a real inspiration, and I quite fancy trying something similar on a Heller kit myself now. The whole process reminds me of those excellent "Guilding the Lily" articles that appeared in (was it?) PAM International back in the day. The sort or articles that you don't see too often anymore where someone takes a kit and improves it with good old fashioned raw modelling skills and scratch building. Thanks @Toryu for the sheer enjoyment and inspiration of your build thread.

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Toryu changed the title to Heller's 109 in Africa – The modelling journey
  • 1 month later...