Heller's 109 in Africa – The modelling journey

Toryu

When I skimmed 'Future Groupbuilds' a few months ago the Heller groupbuild caught my attention. Didn't I have an untouched Bf 109F deep in my stash? I had stopped building 1/72 models as well as German topics in the mid seventies and the kit is a left-over from this period, my first and only Heller kit which I purchased in 1972. It may be a nice experiment to travel back in time almost five decades.

50386086187_7997ddce1a_o.jpg

This project will be a two-fold challenge. Firstly, I'm not sure if my eyes and fingers are still willing to cope with the small scale, and secondly my knowledge of German WWII topics has long since faded away. In the end, the box art inspired me to do something relatively easy - a North Africa theme as I had imagined it in those bygone days. This 'Friedrich' of 1./JG 27, photographed towards the end of 1941, would be a worthy example -

50385212798_4deba34eb8_b.jpg

50386086157_e8040fc34b_o.jpg

I like the all-yellow cowling and the neat sequence of colours and markings - quite Germanic, right? 😉, but also aesthetically pleasing. I'm keen to know how the model will look when it's  finished.

The following references will be consulted, most of which are from my early modelling days -

Messerschmitt Me 109, The Aero Series 1, Fallbrook, 1965

The Messerschmitt 109 - A Famous German Fighter, Heinz J. Nowarra, Letchworth, 1966

Messerschmitt "O-Nine" Gallery, Thomas H. Hitchcock, Boylston, 1973

Luftwaffe Camouflage & Markings 1935-45 Vol 2, J.R. Smith & J.D. Gallaspy, Melbourne, 1976

Bf (Me) 109F, Luftfahrt International Nr. 26 and 27, Herford, 1978

Jagdgeschwader 27 'Afrika', John Weal, Aviation Elite Units 12, Botley, 2003

Messerschmitt Bf 109F, Robert Michulec, MMP Yellow Series No 6133, Petersfield, 2013

Chapter 1 - A fuzzy kit

Only 31 parts but an extraordinary amount of raised panel lines and rivets. I need to reflect on how to deal with these. Not much detail either, and most is moulded on - another domain to think over. Out of the box it would be fairly easy - however...

50386086107_0bc0435ea6_z.jpg

50385910746_7295f4f264_z.jpg

I'm very thankful to @Richard Humm and @Graham Boak for pointing out that the fuselage length and contour are faulty.

50408571437_6cc47f4774_z.jpg

After measuring all dimensions it turned out that the wing is also about 2 mm too short on either side. So, this venerable kit will need some enhancement. There is a solution revolving in my head which is not too complicated but still much more effortful than I had anticipated when I registered for the groupbuild. To top matters off I ordered a few aftermarket items -

50385910691_865a181f61_z.jpg

I wasn't sure if the example I want to build is in fact a Bf 109F-4 and not an F-2. Some very helpful fellow modellers advised that no F-2 were operated in North Africa. Remains to be determined if the wheel wells should be of the round or squared-off type. As both versions are documented for the F-4 I decided to keep the 'square' profile of the kit because the model will already be overloaded with modifications.

Chapter 2 - In the carving chamber

Don't we all love this early phase when we realise that the kit parts are only a proximate pattern of the elements that should eventually make up our model? Cutting, filling, sanding, re-scribing is a fun thing - honestly! Because you are still aeons away from losing tiny pieces to the carpet monster, dropping glue onto your fresh colour, and despairing over crumpling decals...

The main parts are now cut for scale extension, the raspy rivet surface has been sanded and the wing re-scribed. The pink putty repaired some rash panel lines which would not have matched top-to-bottom after wing elongation.

50675994832_67c306c833_c.jpg

Chapter 3 - Wingdings

Wingding [Am] - party or outburst of rage... Actually neither of the two is descriptive of this modelling segment. It was a diligent and enjoyable piece of work but took longer than expected. I was focused on another model, started long before the GB, which behaved very unseemly (I guess I did have a wingding about that one…) But back to my 109 -

50520321311_25c90219c4_b.jpg

Internals added and wing assembled with a 1.5 mm extension at each end. The wheel well floor is a PE section of landing flap left over from an A6M3 Zero model and the side walls are trimmed paper strips, first slathered and fixed with plastic cement, then stiffened with super glue. More detailing ensued -

50520500257_72a5126589_c.jpg

And finally a coat of black Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 -

50520321271_017d807168_z.jpg

Chapter 4 - Cockpit claustrophobia

This episode is dedicated to the pilot's office. Quarterscaler that I am, it was a new experience for me. When I built 1/72 models in my early years, interior detailing was not one of my concerns. The 109's cabin, not famous for offering a lot of space to the pilot (nor the modeller), didn't make it easier. Those of you who regularly indulge in this small scale have earned my highest respect by now, and I hope you will forgive that I will happily return to 1/48 kits after this digression.

50554245216_43c47cb273_b.jpg

Very little detail is provided by Heller, so I made a cursory effort with aftermarket parts and some scratch-building. You can be assured that I'm going to mantle it with a closed canopy!

50553511158_693fc0f225_b.jpg

Chapter 5 - Fuselage frenzy

Heller misjudged the length and curve of the rear fuselage as discussed in Chapter 1. I'm trying to adjust it with a custom-made paper tube that fixes the correct dimensions for the following putty action. There are also a few small modifications and additions -

50570073881_b8181324a5_c.jpg

On the following pictures the elongation gap is closed and the panels are scribed -

50603532398_d1531c8071_b.jpg

This chapter ends with applying primer to the fuselage. The cockpit back plate and the air intake have been added. Unexpectedly, when try-fitting the Rob Taurus canopy (72036), it proved larger than the original (It was not meant for Heller). After a long hour of cutting and scraping I had the cockpit aperture deepened and the vacu part flattened so that it fits now. I hate playing Dr. Doom, the surgeon that operates on an otherwise healthy body, and the inevitable collateral damage to the cockpit innards happened...

50604394262_923ab8a151_c.jpg

Chapter 6 - The bird gets feathers

Let me begin this chapter with sharing my trusted method of increasing the wing dihedral, which is too flat on the Heller kit. A strong piece of filament connecting the two upper wing fillets is pulled down and/or backwards until the wings are tightened towards the right angle.

50652347253_3196d1abc5_z.jpg

With this done I completed the interior and joined wing and fuselage. The oil radiator is scratch-built whereas the instrument panel comes from Yahu (a perfect fit!) since I was too lazy to micro-paint the Brengun part.

50653178617_94eaf6c09e_b.jpg

Further details were added after filling and sanding the extension gaps at the wing roots. At last the 'dirty' work is over and a final coat of Mr. Finishing Surfacer rounds off this section. This would also make a nice night fighter, wouldn't it?

50653178592_d5f36f0540_c.jpg

Chapter 7 - Accelerating airframe assembly

I have recently finished my previous build, which is ready for inspection here, and can now concentrate my modelling energy on this project. It will hopefully lend supersonic speed to my Messerschmitt.

50675994817_c6ab3b6b25_b.jpg

-  Shoulder straps and head armour installed. It was easier to fix the latter to the fuselage instead of to the canopy which will be closed anyway.

-  The windscreen frame girders from the PE set were unmanageable, so I took a strip of dark paper. The front window is cut out, it didn't fit the fuselage contour.

-  Removing it offered a chance to add a thicker armoured glass, an option that I dismissed after checking photo evidence.

-  The PE radiator flaps are very convenient parts that will make the model more interesting when half-open.

50675911416_23cbf2db8e_z.jpg

At this point I deviated to scratch-build landing gear struts in order to test them before the more sensitive parts are glued in place. A different scheme of rooting them in the wing had to be devised by which the tubes are braced against the top inside of the fuselage.

50675911211_78445f1992_c.jpg

The airframe completed with canopy (Rob Taurus vacu), radiator doors (Brengun PE), landing flaps (home-made) and tailplane - built up in this sequence.

Chapter 8 - The 'crackers'

I'm again behind my schedule with painting the beast (what a stress modelling is!). At least I made good use of the breaks between colour layers in preparing the small accessories that round out our models and drive us nuts with their propensity to break and crack -

50701993083_4dd717254e_c.jpg

-  The propeller (painted 'schwarzgrün' here!) had to be sanded to a thinner profile. I guess that the original represented the paddle-blades for the 'Gustav'. An exceptionally smart idea of Heller's is the second backplate which fits into the open fuselage front - such an easy way of mounting a spinning prop at the last minute! Why hasn't anyone else adopted this trick in the last 50 years??

-  The gear legs are scratch-built (see previous chapter) and the covers originate from the Airwaves PE set (72158), one of the few parts of this set which - with some lenghtening - is useful.

-  The wheels from Aires (7245) look nice but appear to be a tad too small. (The new Barracuda Studios 72438 set might be better).

-  Finally we’ve got the tailwheel and mass balances (both Heller), the antenna mast and port gun muzzle (both scrap box), and the pitot tube (a piece of wire).

Chapter 9 - Colour crescendo and decal disappointment

At last the model sports basic camouflage & colours now. I feel a bit melancholy that the stylish 'black-tie' attire has been wiped out - it had a certain ceremonious look about it...

50727038016_b0f699166b_b.jpg

For RLM 79 'sandgelb' I used Mr. Hobby H66, and for RLM 78 'hellblau' I took H418. They both match the respective colour chips in Hitchcock's O'Nine Gallery and cooperate well with the hairy stick. Gunze's RLM 04, however, choked me. I applied four coats of yellow before the white primer (two coats) was reasonably covered. This makes six coats of colour which forced me to repeat the painful scribing a few times. Yellow is indeed difficult but enamels used to work better.

50727132667_effa99ac16_z.jpg

As for decals, the Avalon 7009 sheet will do the job although I don't like the '2' which may need a thin black outline. I converted 'Red 2' into a white one via Photoshop and printer (displayed below, with cowling snap fasteners and steps/handholds). The white border of the swastikas is junky, too. I hope I'll find some in my scrap box.

50727037861_24ae04eee0_z.jpg

After I had applied the home-made number '2' I was indeed happy with the result, but then I thought that the form differed too strongly from the one on the photo. With agony I removed the shapely '2's again and reverted to the Avalon decals regretting the time lost to the preparation. Now the black outline is missing (?*) but I had to come to a compromise.

* A black border is only present on the colourised picture, not on the original monochrome one - so it may just be a transposition effect.

50746797603_7a847c57be_b.jpg

The main problem with the Avalon decals popped up when I fixed the Balkenkreuze: You get about 30 seconds to position them properly before they start to disintegrate (a kind of self-destruction mechanism to expedite the tardy modeller?). You bet that I was exceptionally careful with the only two numbers '2'.

Finally some last-minute improvements, like aileron tabs, brake lines, and...

50778698866_d7c7429cb7_z.jpg

Chapter 10 - Finis coronat opus

Hooray, it's completed and exhibited in the gallery here!

50778698796_f7433210e3_b.jpg

This was a fantastic group build. My cheering thanks to the moderators and to all fellow modellers who followed my progress. Without this initiative I would've never thought of pulling this Heller kit from the dusty bottom of my stash. I had a lot of fun with it, and as Ovid says: The end crowns the work*.

* Only a few people remember that the Roman poet Ovid was one of the founding fathers of the IPMS 😀

Conclusions

(1)  The small scale was a challenge initially, and I struggled with my clumsy fingers. This is not for my age group... On the other hand (the one with less clumsy fingers), my usually cramped workbench appeared very spacious all of a sudden, and a fine model can be produced in less time due to a more limited opportunity for detailing and smaller areas to prepare, glue and paint.

50778810307_02d0f497ea_b.jpg

(2)  My lack of familiarity with the subject was a lesser problem than I thought. A basic understanding could be obtained through a number of good publications and the help of our very obliging BM community. Many thanks to everybody who advised me! Me 109 experts will hopefully forgive the many authenticity crimes that I may have committed.

(3)  The kit has a few more glitches that I haven't attended to because they would have been too difficult to cure (at least for me). The biggest issue left is the landing gear spacing which is too narrow at the wing root. The tailplane span is too short by about 3 mm, and the fuselage spine from canopy to tail should be a little broader. I actually noticed this too late to insert a thin strip of plastic.

50778698706_d990ce23c3_b.jpg

To sum up my findings about Heller's 109F*: The general dimensions (length, wingspan, tailplane) are about equal to 1/75 scale, but not everything is too small. The wing chord, for example, is more or less correct; the fuselage is too short just behind the cockpit but height and width are OK; a few items are undersize, like the canopy, others are almost too large, like the air intake and the oil cooler (good for a 'Gustav'?). I guess you'll find one or another such imperfection on all kits, even the best ones. OOB or not to be - that is the question...

* All measurements against scale plans by Dariusz Karnas for Mushroom Model Publications, the accuracy of which I have not verified

Cheers, Michael

• Like 17

Excellent! A Heller Bf-109F, and in tropical colours too. Such a great combination. Looking forward to this as the Friedrich is the only Heller version of the 109 I haven't built. You've inspired me to pick one up myself!

I was Googling around earlier this week for a review of the 109F. I stumbled across a US based review which positively panned the kit, until I realised that what the reviewer had was the ancient old rivet covered Airfix Bf-109G in a Heller box. I'm not surprised to read that it put him off Heller kits. Wonder why they would have boxed the old Airfix kit Gustav (and not the correct sub variant at that) when Heller had a perfectly acceptable 109F tooling in their own inventory?

Steve

• Like 3

I made this kit in about 1982, its number 232.

I remember making it just after making the K-4, it was definitely of an earlier standard to the K-4, probably a contemporary of the Curtiss P-40 which was from the early 1970's.

Welcome and good luck, I'm sure you'll fettle this into a fine replica.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Richard Humm said:

IIRC it has a short fuselage which has the bottom rear sloping up at too great an angle - I've seen it referred to as a tadpole tail.

I've noticed that with the G as well. I've got the original Heller K-4 release (basically a G) and the re-tooled K-4 on the go at the moment. The upper fuselage contours are markedly different between both kits. I think the got it more or less right on the newer K-4.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is worth pointing out that the Heller F was an early kit, and if you look at it closely it is really a G.  The tadpole rear fuselage was a feature of all Heller kit of the later 109s ( I don't know about their E but it isn't true of their B/D) until the complete revision of the K.  It was fairly easy to cut the tail off and add a couple of thicknesses of plasticard, sanding the entire assembly smooth,  Given the other imperfections, you could accept the compromise and end up with a decent G - at least when compared to the alternatives on the market!  The new K was a complete step forward in tooling, shame the prop went the wrong way round - though I don't recall anyone ever noticing.  It took a long time before a better 1/72 109 kit appeared.

• Thanks 1

@Graham Boak

Thanks for the informative post. I know we've had a brief exchange on the subject previously and I've noted the incorrect rotational direction of the prop. What is your thoughts on the spinners? I've been looking at both kits I have, and I can't help feeling the backing plate throws of the shape off the nose. I feel it could do with a thinner back plate made out of plastic card. I think the Emil was better than the F/G/early K if I remember rightly. Closer to the shape of the B/C kit.

Steve

I hadn't noticed a problem with the backplate.  I do have a feeling that the basic Heller G spinner (which also applies to the K?) is slightly oversize, but (again) better than the others until recently.  I haven't tried comparing it with the Fine Molds or recent AZ examples.  I still have one G and one K left to make, best not look too closely at this stage.  What is needed to be known before buying (or not!) is inevitably different to what will actually be done to something already in the collection.  One other point about the K, not known until fairly recently, is that the refined bulge should be much less prominent on the starboard side, so the kit benefits from some sanding.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

... shame the prop went the wrong way round - though I don't recall anyone ever noticing.

Thanks Graham, I wouldn’t have either if I didn’t read this, I do admit the 109 is not my strong suit. 

Good to see another Heller and another 109 being added into the mix. It sounds like Heller we’re still getting their 109 shapes right, but please don’t let this distract you from getting stuck in and finishing this off. It’s been in the stash way too long now.

Cheers and best of luck Toryu.. Dave

• Thanks 1

• JeroenS changed the title to Against sand storm, sun stroke and the Tommy - Heller's 109 in Africa

Hi Michael 

Great to see this one in the GB, and you will not be alone in turning back the clock on a repeat build from yesteryear I can assure you. 

Good luck with this build I hope you enjoy yourself.

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

Hi guys, I need your help -

The plane I selected allegedly arrived in North Africa towards the end of 1941. If that's true it would not be an F-4 variant but the earlier F-2 because the F-4 didn't enter service before spring 1942. The difference seems to be the location of the fuel filler cap - can anybody eloborate on this, please?

Thank you, Michael

2 hours ago, Toryu said:

Hi guys, I need your help -

The plane I selected allegedly arrived in North Africa towards the end of 1941. If that's true it would not be an F-4 variant but the earlier F-2 because the F-4 didn't enter service before spring 1942. The difference seems to be the location of the fuel filler cap - can anybody eloborate on this, please?

Thank you, Michael

From the box art, this 109 has the early wheel wells that are still similar to the E models, so that would make it an early F-2.

JR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Michael,

I will have to dig out some books to check but I seem to recall that early F's had a problem  with vibration, bit like the Typhoon, and ended up having strengthening plates around the rear fuselage as a temporary cure before using thicker skinning on later models. I think that at one stage it was thought to be due to the tailplane bracing struts having been dispensed with compared with the E. As I don't have the Heller kit I don't know if it has the "fishplates" or not - my old Frog F does not and I can't remember if my Italeri one has them or not. If this kit has them I suspect it must be an F-1 or F-2. Don't think the F-4 had them but could be wrong. I will get back to you if I find the book I think it is in.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

Hi again,

Found the book and it seems some earlier F-4 did have the strengthening. It was not a complete row of fishplates as on the Typhoon, just a couple of "straps" on both sides.

f

My Italeri F-2/F-4 kits do have them!

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Michael,

Final comment as it seems this is a little more complicated than I thought. According to the Mushroom Publications book by Robert Michulec, when the braced tail of the E was replaced by a cantilever tail on the F, the stress calculations were slightly wrong resulting in the tail joint to the fuselage at frame 9 being too weak and so after a few accidents external braces were fitted. These worked and were not replaced until the end of summer 1941 when work on the G model introduced internal bracing and this was transferred to mid and late production F versions. However, very late production F apparently reintroduced the external bracing! The first F-4 began to leave the production line in May 1941 with the DB 601N replaced by the DB 601E and the MG151/15 mm cannon replaced by the MG151/20. There seem to have been very few F-2/trop machines, mainly recce versions, and the F-4/trop was the main version though there are suggestions of field modification using  filters from  E-7/trop planes on F-2. The F-4Z and F-4Z/trop with GM1 boost began to appear in autumn 1941 - as well as the supercharger filter and attachments for the canopy sunshade, these also had a slightly deeper oil cooler under the nose it seems. Incidentally the book shows a drawing of an F-1 produced at the WNF factory  under sub-contract with a square section intake, as apparently did the first few F-2 from there, but the others all have a round one!

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Many thanks Pete! This is extremely helpful. Although the changes appear quite confusing I take it that the F-2s had the bracing whereas the early F-4s didn't. The photograph in my top caption clearly shows the bracing which - according to the above - would rather make it an F-2. One of my sources states that the F-4 didn't appear before early 1942 which would be another indication for my chosen model to be an F-2, but your statement seems to date the operational introduction of the F-4 earlier.

The first to be equipped with the F-model were II./JG 27, followed by I./JG 27, who brought them from Germany to the desert in late 1941. III./JG 27 carried on with the E-model into next year before being re-equipped with used F-models from the other two Gruppen. These two then received later variants. It's therefore possible that their initial equipment were indeed F-2s.

I'm going to post a question in the WWII section to see if anybody can resolve the enigma.

Thanks again, Michael

My read of the Mushroom book is that early F-4 had the bracing, but medium and most of the late production ones did not, and then the very late ones once more had it - no idea why they went back to it but maybe they found the internal bracing still was not strong enough? The Mushroom book is pretty good, with a lot of drawings, including "3-D", cockpit detail and colour schemes so if there is anything else you need to know please feel free to ask. I cannot guarantee all that they say is correct but they are usually pretty good.

Later,

They also say that the first batch of F-4 produced in spring and summer 1941 were the last with the external reinforcement until a batch of F-4 and F-4/trop assembled by Erma in late 41, which entered service spring and summer 1942, and had the reinforcements again. Don't know if that helps. Maybe it is to do with who actually manufactured them as WNF only stopped using the "E" type rectangular intakes in Apring 1941 it seems. Mushroom list 5 manufacturers, Arado Rostock, Messerschmitt Regensburg, WNF Wiener Neustadt, Erla Leipzig, and AGO Magdeburg and have a table showing who produced which serial numbers.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Note that the windscreen is for a G not an F - the lower quarterlight should be transparent not moulded as part of the fuselage.  The F I had also had the two auxiliary intakes on the cowling, also a G feature (although also seen on the Fs mounted on Mistel).  I hadn't realised the wing was short in span - I wasn't too sure about the leading and trailing edge angles but haven't checked for decades.  If you lengthen the fuselage it will look enough like a 109 for most purposes.  After all, if you really wanted an accurate F you'd go to a more recent tooling.

• Thanks 1

There’s some serious work going on here and I’m sure it’ll look like a proper ‘F’ once complete. Well done with sticking this one out and continuing the build after knowing its pitfalls. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

On 09/10/2020 at 21:47, Rabbit Leader said:

There’s some serious work going on here

Serious indeed! It would have hurt my modeller's pride to do an OOB build as I had intended. Now it's become a project, and delays all my further modelling plans - arrgh! The nice thing about the kit is the plastic which is very susceptible to modification. I did some work on the wing radiators today.

• Like 2

• Toryu changed the title to Heller's 109 in Africa – Chapter 4: Cockpit claustrophobia

A detailed 109 cockpit in 1/72 with a closed canopy - glad to see that I am not the only crazy one around here. 😀

It would be even better with a desert umbrella fitted to keep the cockpit cooler! 🌞☂️

• Haha 1

• Toryu changed the title to Heller's 109 in Africa – Chapter 5: It's getting longer!