Airfix 1:76 Airfield Control Tower

I wasn't really sure where to post this  - I hope it's in the right place.

This is the Airfix 1:76 Airfield Control Tower which first appeared in 1959. I had wanted one for a while, as I thought it would look good in the 1:72 / 1:76 cabinet with my planes and military vehicles. They are hard to find but I got one second hand a couple of years ago, I saw another build (here I think) that recommended a photo etch set from Flightpath and a neat set of posters, notices etc from Sankey. I used both of those.

8RAkNQal.jpg

The p.e. set replaces all the windows, doors and the ladder up to the roof - along with the little room on the roof (getting that square was a test). The kit windows are rather chunky. I also got some laser cut furniture from a model railway supplier along with the obligatory comfy chairs - you can never have too many comfy chairs 🙂

The p.e. set also provides replacement posts for the roof and walkway but I found those a bit two dimensional so in the end I used the kit posts. The railing is brass tube. 

The figures are from the kit (two in the room on the roof and one peering out of the first floor window) the rest are resin chaps from CMK and from PJ Productions.

I took a few pictures of the inside before attaching the roof so those are mixed in with the external shots.

That's about it really. Here's the pics.

all the best

Mark

A6PivgRl.jpg

sVTIUa5l.jpg

HCahGg2l.jpg

m1SEIhMl.jpg

0q9ZuLBl.jpg

rYM8GXrl.jpg

t44FCgPl.jpg

7xPzql5l.jpg

P4tyHOtl.jpg

QuhY1XDl.jpg

Gxk1KVPl.jpg

AEXuQ6pl.jpg

• Like 59
  • Thanks 3

Hello Mark,

Excellent job on this classic model.

Especially the interior is fantastic.

Regards, Orion - The Netherlands.

• Like 2

Love it, love it, love it!!!

I have the kit and the Flightpath set, but knew nothing of the poster set. The furniture suite is also now a "must have!"

Superb job.

[BTW...at first glance, the figure by the railing on the top deck looked like Field Marshal Rommel. Must be the characteristic pose, I suppose.]

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AMB said:

Very nice.  Are the windows glazed, as would be very draughty? 

This was something I thought about quite carefully. To be realistic then there should of course be something to represent window glazing. However I was worried that if I did that then it might be difficult to see inside - or through the building - and I wanted to achieve both. So, although it's not realistic, I decided to not have any glass in the windows.

Mark

On 9/28/2020 at 2:56 PM, Mark Harmsworth said:

This was something I thought about quite carefully. To be realistic then there should of course be something to represent window glazing. However I was worried that if I did that then it might be difficult to see inside - or through the building - and I wanted to achieve both. So, although it's not realistic, I decided to not have any glass in the windows.

Mark

I have used thin clear acetate from food packaging that works just fine, so maybe give it a go?

• Like 1