Nord Noratlas

zebra

I'll be building the Nord Noratlas. Just a placeholder for now - not dug it out of the stash yet and I'm not ready to start it yet - but looking forward to getting stuck in. I'll be building it as a Luftwaffe example using HaHen decals.

• Like 8

The big Nord (as well as your good self Zebra) are most welcome additions to this fast growing Classic GB. We are starting to unveil some really excellent choices and I can’t wait to see this WIP progress when the time arrives. 
Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Yes!  Really pleased to see this one as one of these resides in the Wez Heller Hoard!

Originally released in 1978 under the catalogue number 803 but then re-released in the black box edition (which I have), in 1980 under catalogue number 350.

Welcome and good luck with this one.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, zebra said:

Some very tempting options there - I like the Rwandan one - but it's going to be German, since I've got the decals for it

I remember seeing T-01 derelict at Kigali in 2010 :)

• 4 weeks later...

Time to get cracking. First up, the box shot:

Heller Noratlas

It's a pretty simple kit. Nicely moulded, raised panel lines, and some of the thickest plastic I've ever seen. But that's all fine, this is going to be an OOB build, and quite a quick one at that.

I've started by getting some aluminium paint on the interior. Also since this photo I've added the windows, and assembled the wings. Hoping to get this to the painting stage pretty quickly.

Noratlas WIP

more tomorrow

Julian

• Like 16

Hi Julian,

now you are talking! This is one of the most charismatic plane of the French Air Force in the last fifty years. Everybody loves a Noratlas.

Every time I see one I am shivering. From the memories on being on night guard duty in winter at Evreux Air Base, guarding a couple of 'marguerites' (dispersal areas) absolutely empty bar for a lonely Noratlas.... I can't say that the thought of cracking a match under the plane to get warm never crossed my mind...

Is it going to be the Luftwaffe unit with the Elephant badge?

Have fun!

JR

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Gotta love the Noratlas, it was one of those types along with the Pembroke we used to randomly encounter on detachments to Europe during the eighties, both types were on the wane then but they were still present, piston engined types lurking amongst their turbine replacements such as the Andover and Transall.

• Like 1

Had the pleasure of watching the last airworthy Noratlas display during the Jersey Battle of Britain Airshow in September last year.  The aircraft operated out of the local airport and the public were able to get close to  this and the other display aircraft during the show.  During its display, the aircraft dropped a number of parachutists from a very low level along the beach at St Helier, as well as showing how noisy it was and how slow it could fly.  

• Like 2

Wonderful, Robin @Robin. I too recall some great sightings, particularly during operational times. I recall fondly watching a Greek Norrie disgorging paras over Megara in 1982. The sight and sound was unforgettable. What a great plane, and far more charismatic than its US contemporary, the C-119. ;) 

Martin

• Like 1

NIce kit and should look good. I often wondered why Heller did not produce a kit of the Breguet Provence (AFAIK) aka Sahara in military use - saw one at Heathrow many years ago. It was nicknamed "Deux Ponts" I believe because it had two decks. Not qute as ugly as some of the pre-war bombers but quite distinctive.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

Fuselage is assembled and, much as I dislike doing it, I decided to rescribe it. Not my worst scribing effort, needs a clean up in a few places, but not too bad. Also assembled the wings, but not got as far as scribing them yet.

Noratlas WIP

cheers

Julian

• Like 17

A bit more progress today - wing centre section, clamshell doors and cockpit glazing on. The cockpit glazing isn't the best fit, it'll need a bit of attention tomorrow, but it's also not the worst so should be able to get it looking ok.

Noratlas WIP

cheers

Julian

• Like 9

Looking great Julian. Not quite resembling an aircraft at the moment, however it’s all taking shape and has all the hallmarks of another Zebra stunner. 
Cheers.. Dave

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dave

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Not quite resembling an aircraft at the moment

It reminds me of a fuselage that someone's turned into a houseboat. Or a bus. Definitely not an aeroplane yet.

• Haha 3

On 11/4/2020 at 7:21 AM, Hewy said:

I like the shape of the nord  noratlas, looks like your making a good fist of it Z, and it's looking pretty large in front of your two  Vietnam gb models 

Thanks Glynn. It's looking even larger now:

Noratlas WIP

Blending in the windscreen was pretty straightforward. Although I lost a bit of the frame detail, it'll be easy enough to recreate through masking. The windscreen polished up quite nicely. Then the wings, tail booms and tailplane all went on surprisingly easily - despite most of it being butt-joined it all lined up quite easily. Not much more to do before I start painting.

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 15