Talbot lago

Ottopv

First group build for me and these two will be models no 8 & 9 in my modelling career started during lockdown first kit was heller alpine 110

enjoying it but I still can’t paint ,or glue , or see  anyway the models I’ve chosen, i like the Talbot lago period of racecars   Citroen c4 because I thought I’d do two . not sure how I’m building these yet I’ll get them out of there boxes next week and take a look

spacer.png 

Edited by Ottopv
Edit title
  • Like 8

Welcome to the GB Ottopv and both kits are excellent choices. Should you decide to do both models, can we please ask that you split them into two Work in Progress (WIP) threads. Greta to see more automotive models being presented. 
Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

Hi @Ottopv

Delighted to see you join us with not one but two vehicles !

As Dave has said the reason we want each build on its own thread is so we can see how many of the kits that Heller made in the period we have being built, completed etc.

The very best of luck with these, and I look forward to learning about these vehicles neither of which I have seen built before.

Cheers Pat

Welcome to the GB, it's good to have more vehicles!

The Citroën Fourgonnette was originally released in 1982 under catalogue number 703.

The Talbot Lago (I love the racing cars from that period), was catalogue number 721 from 1981 originally.

Great to have these along but as the others have said, it would really be useful if you could split the threads.

Good luck with these, looking forward to seeing how they come out.

Oooh how did the Alpine 110 turn out, I do fancy having a bash at that kit (if eligible for the GB) though I currently have a workbench full of unfinished GB and other builds I promised myself I'd get cleared before I started any more, including a Heller R5 Turbo part done.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scargsy said:

I promised myself I'd get cleared before I started any more... 

Ha!! don’t think you’re alone with that thought Scargsy! Sometimes we just have to live on the edge and start everything. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

@Scargsy the a110 didn’t come out too well if I’m honest but it was the first model I built in over 40 years ,

spacer.pngso far none have ,I am learning thought and each one is getting better

@Rabbit Leader yes wasn’t sure whether I should do that I’ll keep this for the Talbot lago and start a new wip for  the citroen

• Like 9

Don't beat yourself up, that's not too bad! 

Like you I've recently got back into this hobby, as always it's a learning curve. Comparing your efforts to some of the insane levels of detailing by some guys can be disheartening, but remember though it's about having fun and pushing your own skills forward. I always think as a hobby it's a strive for perfection but if I ever reached that impossible pinnacle I'd give up!

Looks like I'll be joining the GB with the Renault 5 Turbo now, so good to see someone else doing some vehicles.

The reason I think I like doing rally cars and AFVs is they get a lot of knocks and battle scars in use, plenty of scope for me to hide my mistakes under mud, etc. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So 1st post on the Talbot lago not looking forward to this I’ll explain later 

1st pic parts removed from sprues ready for painting

spacer.png

next up all primed

spacer.png

I’ve cut the fake grill from the nosecone not sure what I’m replacing it with yet

seat painted

spacer.png

spacer.png

Onto engine

spacer.png

ill add some plug leads

spacer.png

spacer.png

tub assembled I’ll touch up that painting 

spacer.png

spacer.png

And then onto the problem for me the two halves of the body are glued together around the engine assembly front suspension cockpit and rear end so the body needs painting in 2 parts before glue which will leave a seam, or mask everything up after glue but I don’t think I’d get paint everywhere needed especially around suspension

these parts all need fitting before the body is glued minus the wheels

spacer.png

Ive gone for painting prior to assembly and will see how bad seams are and then try to address the issues 

we’ll see 

spacer.png

Any advice on whether it’s possible to glue 2 halves together after paint fix seam line and touch up paint most welcome

• Like 6

Looking at the kit parts I don't think you have any choice but to fix the seam line afterwards. You could minimise it by taping the two halves up first and seeing how they fit.

I don't make many cars, but if you can get the areas behind things like wheels and so on so they don't need more work it should just be a case of lots of masking, and then blending/polishing in the different paint layers - a bit like on a full-sized repair job on a car. 😀 

Have you got any micromesh polishing cloth for the blending?

I would try and use the same batch of paint as well.

A gentle bit of weathering might help afterwards as well.

HTH.

5 hours ago, Ottopv said:

ny advice on whether it’s possible to glue 2 halves together after paint fix seam line and touch up paint most welcome

When you look at the amount of seams it's not a deal breaker by any means. 

The joint down the top of the tail and a small tricky section under the windscreen is all there is on top. Bonnet and nose are separate. 

Underneath can be sorted and sprayed without too much hassle and mask. 

I'm doing this one, though it's on temporary hold while I'm working on the Delahaye 135. 

I joined and painted the shell because I figured out that I could cut the interior just in front of the seat and fit the floor in through the opening and slide the seat section down into position. 

I'm now left with assembling the firewall, engine, front suspension and chassis parts bit by bit into the front of the car! 😜

IMG_20201006_204835

I'm looking forward to getting back to this, but I'm kind of hooked on the Delahaye at the moment. "I've started so I'll finish!!" 

I think you're going to be fine with this 👍

Edited by rob Lyttle
Pic
  • Like 1

Thanks @Jinxman you’ve confirmed my thinking I have micromesh not used yet paintwork to date has not been the best so this is a proper test for me

the dry run showed a reasonable joint so I’m hopeful 

@rob Lyttle

Yes I agree  I’ve been following your builds was going to send my Citroen seat over for the old sofa look 

the speed you started on your Talbot I thought you’d be finished before I’d opened my box

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi,

Coming along nicely.

Might be worth changing your title as you are now doing 2 threads - f you have not done this before put your mouse pointer over the title, left click and hold until it goes into editing mode and hit "return" when finished. 

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Sorry Mate,

I am a technical dinosaur these days - I only have a desktop computer. Hopefully somebody else will know. When I put my mouse over my titles a pop up says "left click and hold" so that is what I do! It is really not than important I guess.

Pete

• Like 1

• Ottopv changed the title to Talbot lago
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a little update not much time lately 

all parts mounted to one half of body

spacer.pngspacer.png

then the two halves brought together

spacer.png

need to sort out that seam nowspacer.png

so I’ll get the putty out and give it a go not had to do any filling on previous models this might be better interesting

• Like 6

Hi @Ottopv. Just wondering if you have any progress on the race car?

Pleased to say that I've finished the Delahaye 135 coupe and I'm back on the case with the T26. 

And I've managed to sort out the front mesh, if you want some ideas for doing it. 

I remember you saying that you didn't have a plan for that.....? 

IMG_20201111_203857

Cheers 😎