Ilyushin Il-14 Crate

zebra

My next build will be an Ilyushin Il-14 in 1/144, using the  AModel kit. It'll be in Hang Khong Viet Nam (Vietnam Airlines) markings, using custom printed decals, apparently in the markings of Ho Chi Minh's personal aircraft. The only references I've found for it are photos of aircraft on display in Hanoi - where there seem to be two different Il-14s both claiming to be the same one and in different colour schemes. Based on photos of other aircraft of the same airline they both seem to be genuine colour schemes, so I'll be working from one of these two.

Here's what you get in the box:

Model 1/72 Il-14

And here's the one I'm building:

VN-C482_Ilyushin_IL.14_Hang_Khong_Viet_N

I've started, but only got as far as cutting out and cleaning up the fuselage halves. They're quite nicely moulded - not very much flash, unlike some of the AModel kits I've built - but the cabin windows look like more trouble than they're worth so I might just use Kristal Klear. The instructions say it needs a weight in the nose, but not how much, so I might just pack as much liquid gravity in as I can.

more tomorrow

Julian

• Like 9

this is very nice and welcome addition to the build!

Great to see another civilian aircraft in the build and and early one to boot!

Mmm forsure she'll be a tail-sitter, best go to BCF and buy the biggest sinker you can find!! :D

Good luck with this build, it'll be a fine addition to the build and gallery.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Masters said:

Will you weather it as the actual aircraft looks?  

No! I'm not really into weathering - never really achieved good results and always end up thinking I'd have been better off leaving it clean - so I'm going to assume that at some point in its life this aircraft was actually clean.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

A bit of progress today. Fuselage assembled and cleaned up, wings assembled and a load of filler applied! It's fairly typical A-model - everything needs a bit of adjustment to make it fit, and some of it is very imprecise (I have no idea whether I've got the interior of the wheel bays right - I guess I'll find out when I try to fit the undercarriage!).

Here's how it's looking tonight:

Il-14 WIP

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 6

I have often wondered about those A-Model kits and their fit....sounds like they do require some work, but you do have to love the subjects.

Nice to see this build progressing. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

A bit more progress today - wing seams cleaned up, engines assembled, and windscreen attached. Same old story - none of it fits very well, but with only a little fettling it all goes together ok.

Il-14 WIP

Going to have to do some sanding and polishing on the windscreen tomorrow, but might end the weekend with a complete airframe.

cheers

Julian

• Like 4

Watching this with interest, so thanks for the update. I have this kit in my stash as I actually got to fly in the last airworthy one in Russia in 1997 and that is how mine will be finished.

• Like 2

Starting to look like a proper plane :) That sanding, fitting, sanding again etc. takes quite a bit of time but looks like you're doing a good job of it.

How is the wing to fuselage fit? That tends to be often problematic... 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, reini said:

How is the wing to fuselage fit? That tends to be often problematic... 

It's actually not bad, which came as a bit of a surprise. A few very small adjustments were needed, and some filler, but that's all. I've also got the windscreen joint cleaned up and polished the clear part, it's looking pretty good now. I haven't photographed it today though - I'll post a photo after I've cleaned up the filler on the wing roots.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Airframe assembly complete. Just trying to decide whether to fit the undercarriage before I start painting - I think I will, it's probably going to need some adjustment and I'd rather do that on an unpainted model.

Il-14 WIP

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 5

Not spent a lot of time on the Crate today, but have added the strake under the forward fuselage. This had to be made from plastic card as it's not included in the kit. Looking at the photo at the top of the thread, I think I've made it a bit too deep, so will trim it back tomorrow.

Il-14 WIP

cheers

Julian

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Nice attention to detail Julian.

Thanks! There's one more detail I can't ignore - the exhaust pipes - there should be 3 on each side, protruding from the back of the nacelle. They're represented by three dimples on the kit, which just won't do. Going to have to buy some brass tube.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

gee you're doing a great job on what is a very ordinary model, well done.

Brass rod of plastic tube will be ideal for the exhausts, that the later would be easier to work with.

Getting closer to painting time! :popcorn:

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2020 at 8:39 AM, trickyrich said:

Brass rod of plastic tube will be ideal for the exhausts, that the later would be easier to work with

I'm going with brass tube. If I actually get around to buying it!

• Like 2