HELP...British Tank Aerial Lengths.

Courageous

Hi helpers. I'm at the nearly finished stage of my Churchill AVRE of '44 and need help with aerials. I believe that tanks t this stage of the war would be fitted with a No.19 and a No.38 radio sets but I haven't come across anything definitive on the aerial lengths, it must be out there but this duffer can't see it. So if their are any helpers that can help with actual size or scale size (1/72), it would be much appreciated.

Stuart

Normally vehicles would be equipped with two sets:

- A type varies in length as it is made up of 4 foot sections, up to 16 feet (4x4), all dependent on the required range.  When deploying max height max, the vehicle must remain stationary.  Usual set up is either one or two sections, and the base of the mast is the simple cone shape.

- B type is constant length (quoted sources vary as having it either 20 or 24 inches).  This mast is the one that has the circular open guard around it.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 2

Don't know if the layout changed with the AVRE version, but here's the standard gun with flame thrower Churchill showing it's antenna arrangement.   Appears to be the A type 8 foot length on the viewer's left, and to the right is the B type 2 foot length (20 or 24 inch):

iwjymly4qcf51.png

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1