Massey Ferguson 2680

cherry268

1 minute ago, cherry268 said:

Big decision, shall I ruin it and try and weather it

Welcome to this GB cherry and I must admit, that’s a question I always ask myself as I feel as if this is my least successful modelling process. I suppose build it clean to start with and then ask the same question to yourself at that point. Sometimes we can always strive that little bit too much and perhaps just need to stop, finish and start another kit. 

Good to see another non-aviation related Heller kit. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Great subject choice as Dave says, originally issued as a Bobcat kit but moulded by Heller in 1983, catalogue number 3501.

Having been travelling around some of the more rural parts of the UK over the past two weeks, I haven't seen a clean tractor.  The choice of course is yours.

Welcome and good luck.

• Thanks 1

And so the photos

resized_75445405-f861-4185-ace7-2b5d7578

resized_9f886883-b51c-4501-8f1f-4f30f4d3

resized_d0ad623e-d72b-451d-8ec6-83e8bdab

resized_3fc1156f-0e2e-4092-a837-5c10eb99

resized_75749943-6413-4020-9581-02591d05

resized_010f5253-54fa-4447-9abe-ece85abd

Doesn't look a particularly difficult model to put together but I think the cab will take some masking to paint properly

Think this was originally a snaptite model

It's strange that the Fergy model has nearly three times as many parts

At least I should be able to finish it in time 

• Like 12

The Bobcat series were well moulded and detailed kits that were intended for new modellers whilst being a good base for more experienced modellers.

This is the first time I've seen this kit, being an aerophile I never really took any interest in non aircraft subjects so I wasn't aware of it, hopefully this GB will make us more aware of a wider sphere of subjects and increase our knowledge.

52 minutes ago, Wez said:

This is the first time I've seen this kit, being an aerophile I never really took any interest in non aircraft subjects so I wasn't aware of it, hopefully this GB will make us more aware of a wider sphere of subjects and increase our knowledge.

Same here! I've only ever focused on aircraft, with the odd diversion here and there, so I do wonder what I have missed sometimes by staying put within my sphere. Looking forward to the Massey also. Nice to see something a bit different for the GB.

Well its here, 3rd October and so we start

Just removed a lot of parts from sprues and glued a couple of sub assemblies

It must be a sort of snap together kit, because it does. Nearly poo'd myself a couple of times trying to get some of parts apart

Just slotted it together to see what it may look like.

The cab is going to be great fun masking it. Got to be done inside and out

And you lot moan about aircraft windscreens😀

Next job is to clean front axle up and the paint where it fits in frame as that won't be easy to reach with my trusty spray can

Anyway see for yourself

resized_6aa2585d-c8ae-4770-9f02-c62d5d33

resized_f1ce29e2-ed01-4c39-bb9b-dcc04d5b

resized_d13729b4-51b4-44ea-91db-ebad3b13

• Like 6

Bit more progress over last two nights

Spayed a bit of paint on front axle as I am not sure it will be accessible and glued two halves together

Also have started masking cab, not going to do it one go so doing a bit at a time

Also got wheels cleaned up, ready to paint at weekend

resized_da652503-df23-45f7-92a7-6c35beb9

resized_9bb5d076-02d6-49d3-b424-67204061

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress this week, not had a lot of time

Cleaned up most of engine/ transmission assembly and fitted hydraulics. 

Main job has been to mask cab inside and out which I have managed to do without visiting workbench

Hopefully will get cab sprayed with first colour at weekend, weather permitting

Don't have anywhere to spray indoors

resized_01f5f419-90e5-470a-a507-6de971f5

resized_f99da7d1-8834-4f16-9b18-11893f9c

• Like 8

Did the engine put up that much of a struggle or is it a handy place to store all those clamps ?

Seriously delighted to see this one being built, I had thought it was the old grey Fergie before I opened the build thread, yours is a little more comfortable I would imagine !

Best of luck with the build

Cheers Pat

"Did the engine put up that much of a struggle or is it a handy place to store all those clamps "

It doesn't fit snug as I think it was designed to a snapfit kit, I just put on as many as I could to be sure

Painted the cab and wheels this afternoon nad even if I say so myself they look good

14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Seriously delighted to see this one being built, I had thought it was the old grey Fergie before I opened the build thread, yours is a little more comfortable I would imagine !

It has far less parts than the Fergy, less than half, but at least with the Fergy it's one colour and no cab to mask

I was going to do that as a second build but it is too new 

• Like 1

Lovely day today, finished my concrete fence post fitting and managed some painting, although I seem to be doing more masking than applying paint

With any luck I may be able to get some red on tomorrow

resized_4eb8862c-16f6-4404-9ed0-14924d22

resized_7af461f5-57c7-4280-a5d5-d8fc82fa

resized_79f36d96-6427-4ed7-974d-f1c7c776

resized_67418dd4-e55b-46fa-acec-62147a75

resized_af0cb1ba-7f37-4764-abe0-27200807

• Like 7

I've  wanted to see one of these built up for a while, it doesn't  look as nice a kit as the petit gris , but all the same a welcome kit, and you're  doing a super job so far 👍,

I would've liked to have seen heller kit a 595 though 

19 hours ago, Hewy said:

I've  wanted to see one of these built up for a while, it doesn't  look as nice a kit as the petit gris , but all the same a welcome kit, and you're  doing a super job so far 👍,

I would've liked to have seen heller kit a 595 though 

I could provide a list of tractors that I wished were kitted, it is just nice to have one 

• Like 1

Well slow progress is being made

I've got some paint on the bonnet and rear mudguards

Not my best effort but far from the worst, needs a polish to see if I can improve it or I may have to go over it again

Why do I seem to everything twice

I have also tried to put some pipe work on engine as I think it looks bare

So fiddly for my pudgy fingers

Still once painted it should look passable, and of course when I have finished it

Just glued one end of injector pipes at the moment

resized_61394350-052e-4cb0-ac95-06a7dfe1

resized_4d12a1d8-5ad3-4726-94da-27e4fdc8

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress hampered by a two steps forward and one and half back!

Managed to finish fuel and injector pipes and have painted chassis and other bits on rear linkage

I also made up the assister rams by putting foil on pistons

Having trouble with paint, The bonnet and bottom of cab that I painted before are awful. Very patchy and dull patches all over.

I suspect as I have to paint either outside or in shed that it is too cold or damp. So that has to be done again somehow

Also had the same problem with front wings. Never mind things things are sent to try us

Trouble is work, house, garden and football take up too much time 

Anyway here is the progress

resized_d540e8f2-1637-4d59-8146-5bbac2b5  

resized_ab16cf1b-6269-4f31-9e0c-29d6a50f

resized_a9d1b3f3-2e12-4a8c-9ff5-6b5260eb

resized_e0569015-f63a-4aff-ab66-2197bd8e

Well that is rubbish picture

• Like 6

Having to paint in the shed is a challenge indeed, I have the same problem. It seems that after last Saturday the "airbrush window" has finally closed now, it's too cold and damp. So it's out with the hairy stick for the winter, I switch to Vallejo paints which you can use inside the house with no trouble at all. No smell! Plus they brush on easily too. 

• Thanks 1