Masking Headlights

McG

I've just started on the Tamiya Porsche 911 Turbo 1988 and the instructions call for part of the headlights to be painted the same colour as the body. I figured it would be best to attach these to the body prior to painting to ensure both a nice fit and a matched colour to the body. 

Now I need to mask the part of the headlight that will remain clear. What is the best way to achieve this, Tamiya tape or Maskol? 

Personally I always use Tamiya tape for jobs like this, I can never get a crisp enough edge using liquid mask. I also cut the tape into much narrower strips than trying to use it straight off the roll as a strip, say 1mm wide, will be much easier to conform to the shape of something like a headlight bezel. One of the best 'tools' I've ever bought is an Infini cutting 'mat' which has lazer cut grooves from 0.4 to 1mm - you just lay some tape over the width you want and run a scalpel blade down the groove. You can also get rolls of Aizu tape in similar widths. I then fill the rest of the area to be masked with more tape, but some people do use liquid mask for that job.

Keith

• Like 1